Mass air

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 03:44 PM
monsters
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mass air

Is a mass airflow sensor conversion possible for a 95 efi truck with the 4.9? If so, how do you do it?

Old 04-13-2005, 03:56 PM
Jebadiah04
Posting Guru
you can do it...but then your engine doesn't last very long...your engine will think its getting more air than it is....in turn increasig the emount of fuel...adding power, reducing fuel economy and reducing the life of your engine

ya know how carburated engines genrally dont last as long as efi engines...its because they dont always get the right amount of fuel, either too much or too little. thats why efi engines genearlly last 3 times as long as carbed engines.

if you want more fuel, you should get something that ads more fuel like it is supposed to do. probably bigger fuel system, starting with injectors... that will alllow you to get more fuel, but still keeping hte mixture appropriate

Old 04-13-2005, 04:08 PM
monsters
Freshman User
already done the injectors, put 3.8 19lb ones in, truck has a comp cams 260H, walker downtube without cat, summit 3" cat-back, electric fans, rebuilt and mild ported head among other small things. the truck is also lifted 9" has 33" yokohama geolander m/ts 3.73 gears tru-trac front diff and locker rear. I think this would be a good upgrade compared to the stock stuffs.

Old 04-13-2005, 04:13 PM
Jebadiah04
Posting Guru
you could move up to some 90lb ones

you can a couple things with your MAS, not too sure on the 300l6 might be different than what ive done in the past.

I know that if its an Actual MAS and not a temp sensor you may be able to upgrade it with a new one, if it is an actual temp sensor than ive seen people take them and put them somewhere were the air is cooler, that is another reason why cold air intakes help so much, and its make you get more fuel, but in all actuality ive never heard of anyone doing anything with a MAS on a 300 l6.

Old 04-13-2005, 04:18 PM
monsters
Freshman User
I have no mass air sensor, it should be manifold air pressure. I have to read more.

Old 04-13-2005, 04:52 PM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is possible, but not worth the effort required IMO. I'm trying to figure out a conversion to a 93-95 Lightning computer so we can use a Tweecer.

Old 04-13-2005, 07:11 PM
stewbronco
Freshman User
In CANADA `95/`96 f150 came with MAF.Obviously this is easiest way to convert>I am well into just such a conversion and I just took everything from donor truck connected with engine.This engine that I am building sounds very similar to yours.you will NOT effect longevity of engine as FORD designed that way.There are several olaces that can provide reprogramming for your computer [mine is a HIX2]. I wish I was a little farther along and running already ,but I have some VERY experienced people involved and so far nothing has come out of the woodwork to cause big problems.I too am useing 19LB injectors and MAF throttle body from 5.0LTR truck[took some porting work on upper plenum and changing over throttle linkage and throttle position sensor harness but does not appear to be a problem].I hope to be rinning by end of MAY so I keep you posted and would apprieate if you do the same regards

Old 04-13-2005, 08:24 PM
309Ford
Senior User
I'd definitely take issue with the statement that "efi engines last 3 times as long as carbed engines." Darn near everyone I've known that owned a carbed engine can disprove that assertion.

If that was really the case then I'd be only getting 85 thousand odd miles out of my rebuilt carbed engines, and I'm over 3x that on several carbed engines I've owned without a rebuild. In reality, it is how the engine is driven and maintained that determines its longevity, far, far more so than whether it is efi or carbed. The importance of efi in establishing engine life is so minor (if any advantage can be shown at all, which is doubtful) that it is insignificant compared to all the other factors that come into play.

EFI injectors can get clogged up and spray fuel unevenly/improperly as well. Maintenance and driving habits outweigh other considerations.

Old 04-14-2005, 01:39 AM
roger dowty
Posting Guru
amen 309....i think

Old 04-14-2005, 08:42 AM
monsters
Freshman User
If that was the case, ford would have left the 300 carbed.

Old 04-14-2005, 12:11 PM
69 and 85
Elder User
Not trying to state an opinion here, but usually changes aren't made to make products last longer. My guess would be going EFI helped tighten specs to give better performance and/or ecomony..... and that is done to SELL more vehicles. Long lasting products = less need for replacement = fewer sales.

Money is (almost) ALWAYS the bottom line.

I'd love to see Ford do their best to make something last the longest possible time.... the I6 is already a good candidate for the drive train (carbed or EFI).

Old 04-14-2005, 01:12 PM
monsters
Freshman User
Personally, I trust that statement. I can remember the old theory that a car is junk after 100,000 which was when the engine was almost completely worn out in just about any car. Most vehicles, since the conception of EFI and MPFI generally outlast the carbed models by two even three times. Take the GM 3.8L (3800) series 1 v-6 for instance. In the early to mid 80's these engines generally lasted from anywhere around 80,000 to 120,000 miles with decent mainenance. Now, that same engine with MPFI lasts anywhere from 150,000 to 250,000 miles. Same goes for the small block chevrolet, this engine has been for the most part unchanged since it's birth in the '50s. 350s were known to last about 70,000 without a rebuild now it's near 200,000, because of FI. I guarantee that the quality of metal used in these engines hasn't changed. It all leads to technology. Carbed vehicles can't change their air/fuel ratios for elevations of just a few feet or small changes in air density to get the ideal fuel/air (14.7:1) ratio leading to gas in the oil and eventual dilution causing the oil to loose some of its lubricating properties. FI engines can and do adapt to these changes, every .001 of a second. Carbed vehicles, when the accellerator is floored, dumps raw fuel in huge amounts to force the engine to accelerate, making a rich condition and causing the previous condition described above. FI engines only give the engine what it can handle. Not only does this save on gas but also prolongs engine and component (such as catalytic converters) life by keeping the engine out of a grossly rich condition. Another addition to FI is timing control, which works in unison with FI. Timing is changed hundreds of times a second, depending on temps, loads, knock and other factors generally keeping the timing right where it should be, all the time. Most carbed engines are "timed" and thats about it. Noone is there to keep knock under control, noone to "save" you from detonation besides an educated guess and an outdated timing "light" which itself is a very cro-magnon way of directing a "controlled explosion". Each intake pulse that passes through a carb is different whereas FI engines are (*when operating properly) near perfect, every time.

*when operating properly- pretty much non existent with a carb, going up hill for a distance is enough to throw a carb out of tune.

I'm not trying to be an *** to anyone here but it's pretty much a proven fact that they last longer. Hot Rod Magazine did a test on a '69 plymouth roadrunner 440 with a carb and with edelbrock's new pro-flo MPFI system (which is based on OBD1 principles) and proved that FI was much better than carb in performance and longevity. Look at Nissan and Honda drag cars, I'd like to see a carbed 2.3 mustang even come close to the #'s that the foriegners lay down with any kind of carbed setup.

Last edited by monsters; 04-14-2005 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:38 PM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
I guess it's just a fluke that pretty much every vehicle my family has owned has lasted over 200k miles. My 69 LeMans that my mom bought in 71 had 242k miles on it when it was totaled in 94, their 78 Caprice had about 230k on it when they traded it off in about 97 or 98, dad's 79 Courier had nearly 200k on it when he sold it in 92 and he sold it local so I know it ran for years after that. Fuel injection isn't the reason engines last longer now. They last longer now because you can completely neglect them until it's too late.

Old 04-14-2005, 01:45 PM
69 and 85
Elder User
y, I think we're all ok here.... there are going to be lots of examples of vehicles with a ton of miles. Personally... I do think cars are lasting better now (in general). Is it because of EFI? or the standard for oil changes has gone down to 3000 miles between changes? How about oil filter changed at every oil change instead of every other? Here's another good one - the matched weight on pistons, etc has gotten to a MUCH tighter tolerence ( read that from some guy who really knew his stuff - not me!)

My point is - "I" am right, products are made to the quality demanded by consumers - anything more than that decreases the need for replacement (repeat purchases).

LOL - just kidding about me "being right"

Monster, I think you are right "in general" that cars last longer than 30, 40,50 years ago.

390, You're right too - care has a lot to do with longivity. Plus if it's a 300, it's just a good design.

y, I think I am right too.... (no group hug tho -)

Old 04-14-2005, 02:50 PM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
I think EFI helps the engines last longer, but it isn't the root cause. We're quickly coming up on a decade since the last of the "traditional" engine families were used. Chevy started phasing out the old small block in 97 and Ford started with mods in the early 90's. I think engines last longer now because they are designed better.

Quick Reply: Mass air