Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Turbo pedestal and EBPV?

Old 04-13-2005, 02:03 PM
enduringexplorer
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Turbo pedestal and EBPV?

Well, going to have at my oil leak(s) this weekend. It is either the plug in the head, the turbo pedestal, or something in that area. I have the upper and lower seals for the pedestal, but what about the EBPV? Can it leak oil itself? If so, do I need to replace it, or are these repairable. I would assume most of the parts are dealer only. I have to do the work on the weekends when the dealers are closed. Any recommendation on what additional parts I should get in case?? If the EBPV is leaking, will the procedure I saw about gutting it and installing plugs fix that?
I will attempt anything, I just don't want to be caught with my pants down. i try to be prepared.
Tim

Old 04-13-2005, 05:09 PM
touchofgrey
Elder User
Where are you seeing the oil leaking? Down in the valley, back of the engine around the bottom of the bell housing? Have you checked the high pressure oil pump area? I'd make sure the lines at the back of the pump are tight before going after the harder stuff. Could save you some time.

Old 04-13-2005, 05:34 PM
enduringexplorer
Elder User
All the leaks are at the back of the motor. When I noticed it start to leak, I cleaned it top and bottom. In a matter of 1000 miles, it has gone from a couple of quarter size drips to 3-4 coffee can size spots every time I park it. I see some on some sort of actuator rod behind the turbo and around the back side and bottom of the pedestal. The valley is clean. I don't know if something is leaking at the back of the motor on the driver side, but the front driveshaft is coated. I guess it could be getting blown around. I am going through quite a bit of oil.

Old 04-13-2005, 05:37 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
but what about the EBPV? Can it leak oil itself?
No. The shaft for the EBV just rides on a couple of bushings in the EBV housing. No oil in there.

Old 04-13-2005, 05:41 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Originally Posted by enduringexplorer
All the leaks are at the back of the motor. When I noticed it start to leak, I cleaned it top and bottom. In a matter of 1000 miles, it has gone from a couple of quarter size drips to 3-4 coffee can size spots every time I park it. I see some on some sort of actuator rod behind the turbo and around the back side and bottom of the pedestal. The valley is clean. I don't know if something is leaking at the back of the motor on the driver side, but the front driveshaft is coated. I guess it could be getting blown around. I am going through quite a bit of oil.
Take a good look around you oil filter head and oil cooler, and the galley plug on the back of the D/S head. Topside leaks normally manifest themselves on the passenger side of the engine, so it's probably not up there...especially if the valley is still clean with an active leak.

Old 04-13-2005, 05:50 PM
enduringexplorer
Elder User
There is definitely something leaking at or near the turbo, whether it is the plug in the back of the head, the pedestal, or the EBPV. I have to take most of that area apart to find out what it is, but there may be other leaks also. I just want to be prepared for what could be wrong. If I find something else wrong that I don't have parts for, I will have to put it back together and try again later. This truck has turned out to be a POS. I have owned Fords all my life. This is my third Powerstroke, and at 2.5 years and 115000 miles, it should be doing better. I don't know much about the Powerstroke because my other 2 were flawless. No repairs ever. Where is the oil cooler?

Old 04-13-2005, 06:35 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
I don't think it is too likely that you will need hard parts, and any o-ring you may find leaking you can just go match up the size at Lowe's or wherever. The oil cooler is the tube that attaches to the oil filter head and runs forward along the side of the block.

Old 04-14-2005, 08:14 AM
enduringexplorer
Elder User
Thanks cookie, I will check it out.
Tim

Old 04-27-2005, 07:50 PM
92GT5ohRed
Senior User
Maybe you posted a follow up, but I did not see it. I have a similar problem and was wondering if you got it apart and back together and what you found. Thanks

Old 04-28-2005, 06:08 AM
enduringexplorer
Elder User
The bottom o-rings on the pedestal were leaking. Everything else was fine. The thing that concerns me the most when I do something for the first time is not being properly prepared. I had ordered the service manuals from Helm, but they hadn't arrived. I was afraid I would find other problems once I got it apart that would prevent me from getting everything back together by Monday. I can't believe this system is so poorly designed.

Old 04-28-2005, 07:18 AM
fordff
Senior User
Check your CCV too real good. Mine was a combo of the HP oil plugs, the CCV after I did the mod, and believe it or not, a oil drain plug gasket. Good to hear you got it taken care of...

Old 04-28-2005, 09:23 AM
HeatStroked
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by enduringexplorer
The bottom o-rings on the pedestal were leaking. Everything else was fine. The thing that concerns me the most when I do something for the first time is not being properly prepared. I had ordered the service manuals from Helm, but they hadn't arrived. I was afraid I would find other problems once I got it apart that would prevent me from getting everything back together by Monday. I can't believe this system is so poorly designed.
Maybe these INSTRUCTIONS will help you out.

Old 04-28-2005, 09:47 AM
92GT5ohRed
Senior User
Um, what is a CCV?

Old 04-28-2005, 10:40 AM
HeatStroked
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 92GT5ohRed
Um, what is a CCV?
THIS is your stock CCV.

Common mod to delete the stock plastic vent tube and replace with an open 4" sleeve and re-reoute the line to vent to the atmosphere, etc.

The stock CCV is vented into your intercooler system and it accumulates the oil in the CAC tubes and intercooler. Oil can leak out around your boots and can cause boots to blow off under heavy acceleration.

Old 04-28-2005, 02:08 PM
enduringexplorer
Elder User
HeatStroked,
That was the article I used for instruction. Very helpful. All in all, not too bad a job, as mine is a 2003 without anything seized or rusted. It's just a PITA where they put it and where some of the connections are. You can tell that the engineers didn't even give in-vehicle servicing a second thought. They designed an engine compartment that would HOLD a 7.3 that was already assembled. Maybe we should have these engineers assemble a 7.3 mounted in the truck???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo pedestal and EBPV?