Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-13-2005, 09:23 AM
Posting Guru

Steve_250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Steve_250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Question Kerosene versus Diesel fuel

I know what my book states, diesel fuel only. But isn't kerosene simply diesel cleaned up? Smells the same as my 7.3 PSD as it does coming out of the back of jets at the airport. Most of the time around my area, kerosene is cheaper than diesel, I wouldn't mind saving some bucks.
Thoughts, trials, horror stories?

Steve...

I love the smell of burning diesel in the morning.
Smells like........
FORD!
Old 04-13-2005, 09:56 AM
Posting Guru

fixnair has a very good reputation on FTE.fixnair has a very good reputation on FTE.fixnair has a very good reputation on FTE.fixnair has a very good reputation on FTE.
fixnair
Steve, technically you can burn any petroleum product you can pump through the hose/tube network. I regularily burn 20 wt, hydraulic oil. ATF and even synthetic hydraulic oil in my '02 F350 PSD. I have an abundant supply of the used stuff available. I have also installed a filter upstream of the switching valve to protect my system from any dirt that may get into the tank and I only fill my front tank with lube oil.

I do not notice any difference in running lube oil. There is no smoke, odor and my mileage is the same as on diesel.

need thermostat housing & cab 4 project
Old 04-13-2005, 10:03 AM
New User

lymant is starting off with a positive reputation.
I Get This From The Old Timers Who Have Been Around Diesels All Of Their Lives And Have Never Had A Problem.
Kerosene Should Only Be Used In Extremly Cold Temperatures, Depending On How Cold Is How Much Kerosene They Would Add To The Diesel But The Standard Usually Would Be A 50/50 Mix. Kerosene Run Hotter Than Diesel And Also Does Not Have The Lubrication Properties Like Diesel Does For The Injection Pump Or The Injectors Aswell As Upper Cylinder Lubrication. I Wouldn't Even Think About Using Kerosene Until The Temperature Dropped Below 10 Degrees Above 0.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:42 PM
Postmaster

barebackjake is starting off with a positive reputation.
and no road tax on the kero, so if you get caught your gonna get fined. kerosene dosnt have the BTU that diesel has so your mileage wont be as high and wont have the horsepower either. the lack of lubrication that the kerosene has is the biggest problem with it.

RIP CHRIS. 03/09/05
Old 10-31-2005, 07:17 PM
Senior User

kalsc is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
So, to revive an old topic, if in the comments above, kerosene is said to run hotter and yet further down someone states keosene doesn't have the BTU's as diesel, which is it? Also, being that kerosene doesn't have the lubricity that diesel does, I have heard of people adding 2-stroke motorcycle oil to compensate, no problems, something like a 98percent to 2 percent (diesel to 2-stroke oil).

99 F250 Crew, 01 Engine/Computer, 8" lift, 38" Trxus STS, 5.38 gearing, Kwik Filter, 5.6K resistor Mod, TS 6 pos. Chip, 5" Stacks, T/C Lock, Wicked Wheel, FS2500, Gear Vendors O/D, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Water Inj.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:23 PM
Posting Guru

edub32 is starting off with a positive reputation.
fixnair, I'm interested in your setup. Do you have any modifications so your truck can run on the lube oil? I'm only familiar with waste vegetable oil.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:42 PM
Postmaster

Pikachu has a great reputation on FTE.Pikachu has a great reputation on FTE.Pikachu has a great reputation on FTE.Pikachu has a great reputation on FTE.Pikachu has a great reputation on FTE.Pikachu has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalsc
So, to revive an old topic, if in the comments above, kerosene is said to run hotter and yet further down someone states keosene doesn't have the BTU's as diesel, which is it? Also, being that kerosene doesn't have the lubricity that diesel does, I have heard of people adding 2-stroke motorcycle oil to compensate, no problems, something like a 98percent to 2 percent (diesel to 2-stroke oil).
Diesel and kero are definitely not the same product. Kero and jet fuel are essentially the same product. Diesel is no. 2 fuel oil, and kero is no. 1 fuel oil.

If I'm not mistaken, it is the cetane rating that is much lower with kerosene. It is a bad idea to run straight kero in a diesel unless it's an emergency because of the substantially lower lubricity properties of it.

I read on a forum that hearsay isn't allowed on the Internet . . .
Old 11-01-2005, 12:14 AM
Posting Guru

fixnair has a very good reputation on FTE.fixnair has a very good reputation on FTE.fixnair has a very good reputation on FTE.fixnair has a very good reputation on FTE.
fixnair
Smile

edub32, The only mod I've done is to install a filter on the suction side of the switching solenoid to prevent any contamination from entering the system and fouling the switching solenoid and or pump. Other than that the truck is stock. I cannot tell any difference between the two fuels as far as operation goes. The winters here are mild, rarely below 32°. Still the oil travels through the hoses/tubes OK. I can tell when its time to change the primary fuel filter because acceleration will fall off and my top speed decreases when it is dirty.
Hope this helps.

need thermostat housing & cab 4 project
Old 11-01-2005, 12:37 AM
New User

Diesel Truck Driver is starting off with a positive reputation.
Diesel, #2, #1 and kerosene are all somewhat different products. There is a difference between diesel and #2. There is a difference between #1 and #2. There is very little, and in some places no difference between #1 and kerosene. The lower price would be the dyed fuel (even kerosene), which shouldn't be used on the highway (taxes, as explained earlier).

I was in that business for 17 years until last week!!!
Old 11-01-2005, 12:38 AM
New User

Forgot to mention, I normally post in the old PS forum.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:20 PM
Senior User

kalsc is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Well, all I know is that diesel here is now 20 cents a liter more than regular gasoline and it makes me want to puke! ($1.04 vs. $0.84). Something has got to give, there is no good reason why diesel stayed high since the Katrina hike while gasoline has come way down again. Somebody help me out here!!!! I know, I know, a b1tch like this is all over the forum, nothing new, but my question is this: what are people doing to compensate for this high cost diesel?

99 F250 Crew, 01 Engine/Computer, 8" lift, 38" Trxus STS, 5.38 gearing, Kwik Filter, 5.6K resistor Mod, TS 6 pos. Chip, 5" Stacks, T/C Lock, Wicked Wheel, FS2500, Gear Vendors O/D, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Water Inj.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:49 PM
New User

Yep, 50 cents a gallon more here right now. What have I been doing? Driving our Buick Roadmaster instead. I should mention, all our vehicles are American V-8s.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:05 PM
New User

tj2006 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Kerosene diesel substitute

I have a B-series 96 model 2.5 litre diesel Mazda to date it has clocked over 300 000km and the engine has never been opened. Often for long trips between 400 and 700km i make a Kerosene mix which is well known where i come from. The mix is simply 1 litre normal engine oil to 40 liters of kerosene if you have a 20L container of kerosene simply throw in a pint appro500ML) can of the same oil you'll usually put in the engine and shake up the container to mix it before putting it in the tank. I have noticed no difference in mileage obtained or in power of the vehicle. People usually think the oil is going to make it smoke but that does not happen, I was told the primary use of adding the oil is to lubricate the fuel pump as kerosence is too dry and will destroy the pump if used on its own. Outside temperatures where i live range between 10 and 30 celcius in winter and 24 to 40 celcius in summer.
I also know of a small trucking company that did a test using the above oil kerosene mix on big trucks. They had a truck engine stripped down by their mechanics at 100 000km to look for damage and found nothing unusual in the amount of wear.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:58 PM
Elder User

piotrsko is starting off with a positive reputation.
my $.02 stuff I know: jet A / Kerosene needs a lube of some sort added for diesel injectors. burns about the same temps, but is rated lower cetane / BTU's and also generates about 5% less mileage. Jet A is dyed "straw" and goes clear when mixed with other fuels. There are some really cool additives added to Jet A for icing and mold defoliation but these are neutral for road useage.

I myself wouldn't run more than 50/50, especially under warranty.

Double up on the diesel kleen perhaps???

the oil field guys burn anything petrochemical, but they also think little of running a 12 cyl Wakeshua out of lube oil until it siezes.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:37 PM
Elder User

sneak is starting off with a positive reputation.
By the way, I don't know if anyone has stated it yet, but Jets run on a fuel called, Jet A. It is a lesser refined and cleaner diesel fuel, with special aditives for turbine engines, but you could fill up your diesel truck with Jet A and get away with it... but you might want to add a bottle of diesel kleen, for specific lubrication.

Edit: I see I've been beat to it...Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by sneak; 05-10-2006 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:37 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
burn, comparison, cost, deisel, diesel, engine, fuel, hotter, kero, kerosene, lue, mixing, run, substitute, truck