1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

To Propane or not to propane

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 05:03 AM
halfdone
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I did the conversion it would not be dual fuel. It would be straight propane.
Impco 125 with the appropriate base/adapter to bolt to your manifold

Old 04-17-2005, 04:08 PM
j gibbs
Senior User
Natural Gas?

I was traveling yesterday and stopped at a gas station that had a "Natural Gas Pump for Vehicles" and the price was $1.01/gallon. Doesn't it take just a different sized nozle to go from propane to natural gas?

I am more interested in the NG because I have a gas line at home and it actually runs through the garage. I figure I could fuel up at home and pay a higher gas bill.

Old 04-17-2005, 04:42 PM
halfdone
Senior User
Originally Posted by j gibbs
I was traveling yesterday and stopped at a gas station that had a "Natural Gas Pump for Vehicles" and the price was $1.01/gallon. Doesn't it take just a different sized nozle to go from propane to natural gas?

I am more interested in the NG because I have a gas line at home and it actually runs through the garage. I figure I could fuel up at home and pay a higher gas bill.
Yes. People do that here

My understanding is NG has a lower calorific value and that you DO get a substantial power loss compared to Gas. I will ask a friend in the trade.

The Impco carbs I prefer will meter almost any gaseous fuel, including NG

Mark

Old 04-17-2005, 07:01 PM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
I wouldn't advertise that you are getting gas from the pipe line at home. I believe you are supposed to pay taxes on gas you use in your vehicle that you will not be paying if you get it from home.

Old 04-17-2005, 08:52 PM
Madathlon
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think you local gas company would have a mojor fit to find out you are running a Uncertified fill station.. NG fill station for fleet trucks are very dangerios.. The gas in it self can ignite easyly ( Yes I all gas can ) BUT unlike propane a NG leak can go unnotice and go Boom while you sleep.. If you notice all fill station are done out side.. and Propane is even behind a barracad.. Propane a wierd gas in that when it leaks it sinks. Porpane is a heave gas and wil settle at the lowest point.. You could walk thru a could and never notice it.. NG otherwise is lighter than Air and will suffercate you in a sec.. not ever given you a chance to get out of it.. Your choice.. But it it where me.. Id at lest have a the NG stuff out side away from the house to fill my car with..

And where are you going to find a tank for it?? Propane tanks are not made to work with NG?

Old 04-17-2005, 10:50 PM
j gibbs
Senior User
The reason I mentioned it was to get some feed back which I appreciate. I haven't done anything of the sort, just brainstorming a way around paying that arm & leg or the first born just to get around.

When I think about it seems that there was an article about some factory made dual fuel vehicles that ran on gasoline and NG, but the natural gas from the stations was compressed or liquid or something that was different than the pipeline stuff. Anybody know about that.

Along those lines, Ford did make a dual fuel F-150 for a while like in 2000 or 2001. I had a brochure on it at one time. I wonder if they set something up so the timing would adjust itself for the fuel being used?

Old 04-18-2005, 07:19 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I do believe that vehicles use LNG (Liquified Natural Gas). The home natural gas line is gaseous under relatively low pressure after the meter so you would not be able to get much gas into a tank without some sort of compressor to recompress it. My house is much too valuable to me to risk it trying to save a few bucks a year fuel costs.

Old 04-18-2005, 04:42 PM
halfdone
Senior User
Originally Posted by AXracer
I do believe that vehicles use LNG (Liquified Natural Gas). The home natural gas line is gaseous under relatively low pressure after the meter so you would not be able to get much gas into a tank without some sort of compressor to recompress it. My house is much too valuable to me to risk it trying to save a few bucks a year fuel costs.
In Australia they use to have exactly what you describe.

The gas is tapped on the high presure side of the meter and recompressed to fill the vehicle tank

I haven't heard anyone talk about it in years. My guess would be the costs and maintenance associated with the filling equipment would be the killer

Fleets still run CNG here, but drivers tell me the power loss is significant.

Old 04-18-2005, 10:06 PM
Madathlon
Posting Guru
Here if you tap the high pressure side, You would end up bypassing the meter.. And I know for a fact that asking for some major problems with the gas company and most likly the PD

Old 04-19-2005, 05:04 AM
halfdone
Senior User
Originally Posted by Madathlon
Here if you tap the high pressure side, You would end up bypassing the meter.. And I know for a fact that asking for some major problems with the gas company and most likly the PD
Sorry, the gas company do the install of the fill station and it is seperately metered.

Old 04-19-2005, 06:32 AM
Madathlon
Posting Guru
Thats if they install it.. Im talking if he does it himself like he said earlyer

Old 04-19-2005, 08:16 AM
j gibbs
Senior User
As I said in the last post, it was just a brainstorm. I figured it was a way to get 24/7 availability like gasoline stations. I never said I would run the lines myself. I have no experience plumbing water lines, let alone gas lines. I figured I would have to contact the gas company to see if it could be done. I haven't done it and now I won't. I just wanted some feedback.

Old 04-19-2005, 05:41 PM
Madathlon
Posting Guru
As I said in the last post, it was just a brainstorm. I figured it was a way to get 24/7 availability like gasoline stations. I never said I would run the lines myself. I have no experience plumbing water lines, let alone gas lines. I figured I would have to contact the gas company to see if it could be done. I haven't done it and now I won't. I just wanted some feedback.
Sorry J.. I missunderstud what you ment...