Want to beef up power on my 4.6l -what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 07:27 PM
jasonhoodenpyle
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want to beef up power on my 4.6l -what should I do?

Hi guys,

I just purchased a 1998 F150 xlt xtdcab with a 4.6L. Other than adding a chip, what kind of modifications or upgrades are worth doing. I do have a limited budget but I wanted to know what you guys thought would be worth the money spent on increasing power.

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

-Jason.

Old 04-12-2005, 10:11 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
A cat back exhaust system and possibly a high flow air intake system. Lower rearend gears will help too.

Last edited by LxMan1; 04-21-2005 at 10:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-13-2005, 08:23 AM
MBDiagMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Power is like money, no matter how much you have, you always want just a little more.

My belief is that if you want more power, get a different truck, in most cases you would be money and frustration ahead.

Having said that, since you have an early 4.6, you can add about 30HP by changing to the later Performance Improved cylinder heads and matching intake. Improve the exhaust as suggested and you will probably be looking at a 40 HP increase.

Now is it worth changing heads? It would be easier and better to shop for a later model truck with a PI engine, or maybe a 5.4. Unless you do lots of engine work, changing heads and such will most likely present some problems for you.

Best of luck,
Doc

Old 04-14-2005, 08:33 AM
furrby
Senior User
i have the 4.6. i have done a custom true dual exhuast w/ h pipe, short tube headers, 75mm throttle body, ported the intake elbow to match, cold air intake, underdrive pulleys and i have a 90mm mass air flow sensor that will be going in after i get my chip back from being tuned for my mods. i feel like i have a lot power now and will have a good bit more with the 90mm maf and the chip. i have done the work my self and only spent about 1500 dollars. 1500 dollars or a new truck? i would spend the 1500 dollars. if you don't have the time to mess with you truck. then i may look a new truck. for me i keep my busy and interest in my truck.

furrby

Old 04-14-2005, 10:46 AM
jasonhoodenpyle
Freshman User
Furrby,

What kind of chip did you get? I was thinking I would maybe get the chip first. I heard that you don't need to change the chip for mod's done for intake or exhaust. Is that wrong? I am guessing if I were to do anything I would do the intake and chip, then maybe later go with a new exhuast. Probably that would be the extent of it. What kind of intake and exhaust did you get.

-Jason.

Old 04-14-2005, 02:02 PM
Dubin
Freshman User
4.10's. Period. can get um for around 200. Make a hugh difference in take off.

Old 04-14-2005, 07:38 PM
furrby
Senior User
i got the diablo chip. i will let you know how good it is when i get it back. as far as the exhuast, i have gibson short tube headers and true duals with 40 series flowmasters with a custom made h-pipe by the muffler shop. the headers, h-pipe and 75mm throttle body need a custom tune. sense i am getting a custom tune i went a head and got the 90mm lightning mass air flow sensor. i hope the chip with bring it all together.

furrby

Old 04-15-2005, 11:53 AM
mr. jones
New User
how about a manifold upgrade. swap a PI manifold on there. Checkout my installation site. usually good for 25hp and can be done for about $350 with new parts. site www.unitedmajority.com

Old 04-20-2005, 10:57 PM
triggstp
New User
i feel if your gonna do the chip you shouldnt stop there might as well get an exhuast and at least a gen II intake system and make the truck breath a little better. but as soon as you put them on get out your wallrt because you will need to run premium gas because of the pinging noise from the low octane fuel and we all know gas aint cheep anymore

Old 05-03-2005, 07:24 PM
White Noise
Senior User
Talking

jasonhoodenpyle, it's funny you say that that will be it. Once you start moding a vehicle and start feeling the differences that you do yourself; something makes you keep going. I have a '99 4.6 when I first got it I didn't want to do any mods to it. Later on I got the fever and put straight pipe exhaust and I couldn't stop. I am now looking for a super or turbocharger! My truck is powerful enough now to outrun a V6 Mustang, V6 Stratus, 5.4F150 (2V), Blackwood(yesterday), 5.9Ram, 5.7Silverado, etc... and I can tow more than the 5.4F150 (2V). But I still must keep going. I just think it's funny because thats the same thing that most said when they started.

Old 05-04-2005, 12:59 PM
furrby
Senior User
i second that. i got the bug when i got into car stereo. it took a lot of money and time to get past it. now i have it for performance.

furrby

Old 05-06-2005, 04:20 PM
White Noise
Senior User
I got the bug for stereos at the same time as performance. Fortunately for me I couldn't afford them both so I figured I would rather outrun the slowpokes with the stereo than be the slowpoke with the stereo!

Old 05-10-2005, 11:26 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
blower... that sums it up

Old 05-10-2005, 10:50 PM
jasonhoodenpyle
Freshman User
White noise,
What else did you do besides the exhaust? And what kind of exhaust did you get? I am thinking that I'll start with the exhaust since I noticed that mine is leaking in the muffler. It's just a pin hole size but I figure I might as well fix that while I'm at it.

You know, I am sure that once I see the performance go up I'll want to add more stuff. I intially was thinking that I would only see small increases and I wouldn't want to keep sinking the cash into it. What I really want is power going up hills while towing. I am going to keep this truck for awhile so swapping it out for a deisel is not in the books. So basically I am just asking you guys where the money would be best spent at and in what order.

Thanks for all replies and if anyone has more advice it's appreciated.

-Jason.

Old 05-11-2005, 07:57 PM
White Noise
Senior User
Talking

Ok first off on my truck I have a custom front bumper- $250, fiberglass bed cover-$325, bed mat-$110 replacement speakers-$120, diamond clear corner lenses-$60, K&N Air Filter-$75, straight pipe 'true' duel exhaust-$212, and Hypertech Power Programmer-$420. (Realize that all prices are estimated because of the spur of the moment question). In all I have over $1500 invested and counting but it's worth it.

As far as what I would suggest for you... I would get (1) the power programmer-$400 (any brand should be fine because in the end they all give the same performance). (2) a 75mm throttle body-$150 (3)K&N Air Filter-$75 (4)lower gear ratio-$100 (I would suggest no more than a 4.10) (5)some better tires cuz you should be feeling some pretty nice power gains at this time........estimated spending for these mods=$725+-

Final thoughts Happy trails, Good luck, Take your time, and Just have fun

Quick Reply: Want to beef up power on my 4.6l -what should I do?