1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

paint question: How many coats of clear coat?

Old 04-12-2005, 04:33 PM
skinnyman
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
paint question: How many coats of clear coat?

Painting the 55 ford F-100 this weekend.. how many coats of clear coat should be on truck..going base coat/clear coat...getting two gallons of clear...i heard up to 8 to 10 coats? thanks

Old 04-12-2005, 04:40 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Skinny -

Someone else asked that question last month and the concensus was, as I recall, 3 coats of clear. The last one gets sanded off with the color sanding

Old 04-12-2005, 04:43 PM
Madathlon
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
it depands on what you want to do afterwords.. If the Clearcoat the last thing U plan on doing than 2-4 coats.. If you plan on wetsanding and buffing for a glass like shine than 4-6 coats

Old 04-12-2005, 05:05 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if you are doing graphics or flames or whatever consider doing that first and then applying clear. Load that boy up and sand that clear with lots of fresh water, non-ammonia carwash soap and 2000 grit paper, use a sanding rubber and DON'T try to hand sand. tape off all sharp edges and buff those by hand. Probably sounds long winded but next to the prep, the clear/sand/buff is the most critical part, makes the job. good luck

Old 04-12-2005, 05:09 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
if you are using a LPHV gun 2 gal of uncut clear is going to give you MANY coats! Only open one gal at a time and see if you can return the second gal if you don't need it. Watch the recoat times/directions for the paint you're using so you don't end up with something that won't dry or peels off. Most good brands of clearcoat basecoat systems will give a colorsandable thickness with 3 coats if you put it on right with the correct gun nozzle.

Old 04-12-2005, 08:26 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
After a lot of advice I received about two months ago here on the forum, I talked to my painter and this is what we agreed on, base coat then two coats of clear, then colorsand , then one more coat of clear and buff to a deep shine.

Going to four or more coats of clear greatly increases your chances for sags, and requires a practiced hand.

but what do i know?

Old 04-12-2005, 10:35 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
My thought is that anyone who says they put on many more than 4 coats either sanded a lot of it off between coats or overthinned the clear. Put on at the manufacturer's designed viscosity and with the proper gun you will get plenty of thickness to color sand. If you get it too thick it is likely to craze with flexing and temp changes. Only my opinion, but one that has served me well is to follow the manufacturer's directions, or else call them directly and discuss it with one of their techs. They are the experts in their product and it is in their best interest that you get a good result, so they are not going to tell you wrong.

Old 04-12-2005, 10:46 PM
Joel_CA
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
My thought is that anyone who says they put on many more than 4 coats either sanded a lot of it off between coats or overthinned the clear. Put on at the manufacturer's designed viscosity and with the proper gun you will get plenty of thickness to color sand. If you get it too thick it is likely to craze with flexing and temp changes. Only my opinion, but one that has served me well is to follow the manufacturer's directions, or else call them directly and discuss it with one of their techs. They are the experts in their product and it is in their best interest that you get a good result, so they are not going to tell you wrong.
Great advice. Follow the specs. With that said I think dupont makes the best clear. 2 coats is fine with the chromobase.

Old 04-12-2005, 11:00 PM
Madathlon
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Specs are great .. But experience can help alot.. I have painting ca, trucks, boats, Planes, And Helo, As long as I can remember.. I like a little more to work with when I wet sand.. 2000 grit paper can sand right thru real fast.. The way I have done it is spray on 4 and sand off one.. That leave room for future sanding and buffing.. In a rare case I have put in as many as 6 when I know a project shel be buffed alot in its life..