General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

What does it take to keep tresspassers off my property?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 12:06 PM
beano
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What does it take to keep tresspassers off my property?

We have a shooting range that is close to the river. and these morons keep making trails behind the 200yrd burm. we have tried signs, cutting trees down across the trails and they keep doing it. it the tree is small enough they will just move it or if they can go around it they will. they ignore the signs we have put up and still ride behind the range. What does it take to keep these morons out of there? the last time i was at the range i was shooting and 7 kids came up from the trail while i was shooting! they were anywhere from 6 yrs old to about 13. we live on 35 acres on the river botoms. what do you guys think it will take for these guys to get the picture that we dont want them back there?

Old 04-12-2005, 12:20 PM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Many years ago there was a property owner in the area where I live that had all sorts of problems with trespassers riding through his property. One day someone rode into a piece of curtain chord that was tied between some trees on his clearly posted private property. The landowner never had trespassing problems after that, and the cops just could not figure out who did it. Not that they wasted much time trying either. Food for thought; proceed with care.

You might also consider distributing several handfulls of roofing nails and setting barbwire on the soil to flatten some tires. Have you put up signs that say shooting range?

Old 04-12-2005, 12:40 PM
V-10 runner
Freshman User
Beano,
I'am having the same problem on my property.About 10 years ago they opened up a
track of land behind us and now theres probably 45 homes on it,all city folks who have
no respect for others and there property.They seem to think they drive there 4x4s any
where they want.I found adout 10 teenagers swimming in my pond up on the mountain.signs posted everywhere.Advised them to leave,and the next time i find them that i'll press charges and if they ever drive thru my property on those 4 wheelers i'll shoot those 4 wheelers out from under them.
I talked to the state police about the situation,I have over 800 acres,and alot of stuff
seems to come up missing in the barn lately,so they have been to my place over the years.As long as you warned them and signs are posted,and you feel your endanger
Well it's pretty much up to me.(no proplem)

Old 04-12-2005, 12:42 PM
beano
Senior User
Originally Posted by CowboyBilly9Mile
Many years ago there was a property owner in the area where I live that had all sorts of problems with trespassers riding through his property. One day someone rode into a piece of curtain chord that was tied between some trees on his clearly posted private property. The landowner never had trespassing problems after that, and the cops just could not figure out who did it. Not that they wasted much time trying either. Food for thought; proceed with care.

You might also consider distributing several handfulls of roofing nails and setting barbwire on the soil to flatten some tires. Have you put up signs that say shooting range?
yes we have signs that say shooting range but its blatently obvious that it is there. you have to ride along side of the range to get to the trail.

Old 04-12-2005, 02:12 PM
WildOneCraig
Senior User
Why can't the US laws apply hear in the " protect the criminals Canada" if someone climbs your fence and breaks a leg on your property, I can be held liable. - sorry highjack rant.
I would be a shame to see a real young lad get hurt because he couldn't read the sign. Maybe some dogs to warn of intruders. Or best of all a salt blast in the a**, hurt but never killed me.

Old 04-12-2005, 02:13 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Well, I don't know if there is a sure fire way to keep tresspassers off the property. I know that when I was a kid getting to the local sand pit turned fishing/smimming hole was more tempting than we could resist. And getting in trouble with any land owners or cops did not outway the fun and relaxation of that place.

But here's an idea from out in left field. It's based on the scared straight idea. Go get some human looking bones(long cow or deer bones might work.) or a one of those halloween bone displays and get some tattered clothes to dress it up. Then place some of the bones and clothing at both sides of the range fence line. Partially bury them to make it look like there meant to be concealed but someone was in a hurry and didn't hide the bodies well. I don't know about anybody else, but if I were tresspassing on yer property and saw that I'd be scared enough not to come back.

Old 04-12-2005, 02:31 PM
AlfredB1979
Posting Guru
Well, I don't know if this was mentioned--I just woke up and am not reading all that--but here in Texas, you can paint PURPLE stripe around trees on your property (make 'em obvious) and IF someone takes a step onto said property boundary, they are fair game for a high-speed chunk o' lead! He uses that on his property and because of past circumstances, he'd be wise to be right on this count.

"Natural selection" at its best.

Last edited by AlfredB1979; 04-12-2005 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:32 PM
jdmorg
Posting Guru
Haha...that's great. Then, we'll get the post in a month or two from beano:

WHAT DO I DO NOW?
"Guys....the law is convinced I've buried a body in my back yard and all of the neighbors think I'm a nut. How can I change their minds?" The kids will be in the paper for finding a "body" and not for trespassing, beano will be in jail, and the snowball will begin to roll.

If you have a range on your property, I assume you're smart enough to know all of the laws and cans and can'ts of property rights. It's amazing how many think that because it's your property, booby traps are ok...not in the United States of Litigation.

Maybe if you did the nails and wire thing and even put a blatantly obvious sign up. They're not going to stick around to try and clean them up, and they can't do anything because they were warned before they went on the property. Maybe something like those spike strips that keep you from backing up...again, with sufficient warning.

I think that'll be the key, so that someone's dad doesn't come back around and try and blame you for their kids being dumb enough to drive behind a shooting range.

Old 04-12-2005, 02:56 PM
thorseshoeing
decadent and depraved

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My neighbor put up a few big yellow signs on his property reading;

WARNING: NO TRESSPASSING

VIOLATORS WILL BE SHOT

SURVIVORS WILL BE SHOT AGAIN!

I think he is crazy enough to do it too!
I know signs don't help much but, I think it is pretty funny.
Tim

Old 04-12-2005, 03:07 PM
beano
Senior User
we have seen signs like that but we need something more. i thought of placing t post every 6 inches apart across the trails. it wouldnt take much i dont think. i wouldnt have that far to go before the bruch would be too thick for them to pass.

Old 04-12-2005, 03:09 PM
beano
Senior User
Hey i got another idea. Landmine signs. where can i get some? anyone know? at least i can have some fun while chasing them around.

Old 04-12-2005, 03:13 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just get a full size Bronco with no top and open headers. When they come around again, fire it up and start chasin' them till they get the message.

Old 04-12-2005, 03:24 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jdmorg
Haha...that's great. Then, we'll get the post in a month or two from beano:

WHAT DO I DO NOW?
"Guys....the law is convinced I've buried a body in my back yard and all of the neighbors think I'm a nut. How can I change their minds?" The kids will be in the paper for finding a "body" and not for trespassing, beano will be in jail, and the snowball will begin to roll.

Well, don't dismiss the idea too quickly. Now, either way it turned out no one would want to go up to "Crazy Old Man Beano's" property. Because he killed a couple trespassers and tried to bury their body in his shooting range. C'mon, that's just classic. And if you get a news crew and the police out on yer property, then that's just more free press to put the word out that 'Beano won't put up with tresspassers on his property'. Don't worry, Beano, if they put ya in jail, all of us here on FTE will vouch for ya.

Brace yerselves, here's a couple more ideas. Again, I'm sticking with the scare tactics:

IDEA ONE: Get a few buddies to come hang out for a while at the top end of the range and wait for tresspassers to appear in the binoculars. The proceed to gather up yer posse' and ya'll charge the birms with arms flailing, battle cries...uh....crying?...., and maybe having some 2x4's or bats in hands(just for appearances, mind you.). That should scare them away for awhile.

IDEA TWO: get a couple of yer most country lookin' buds to come over and ya'll put on some bib overalls with no shirts and barefooted. Hang out at the trail with straw hangin' from yer mouths. Try to look as grungy as possible. Have some empty beer cans strewn along the forest floor(again just for appearances.) You will also need a banjo for this. Then ya'll just wait for the trespassers to come a wanderin' by and get yer buddies to stop them for a moment while you strum a couple of unforgettable cords on the banjo......and show them a twinkle in yer eye. That would scare them away for sure.

IDEA THREE: Get a buddy to help rehearse this one. You be the land owner and he'll be the trespasser. It has to look really convincing so some fake blood and balsawood 2x4's would help. Then you and yer buddy wait on the trail for some tresspassers to come through. Then start the verbal assault between you and yer buddy. The tresspassers will come by to see what the commotion is all about. Make sure you voice your distaste for tresspassers and proceed to give yer buddy the most realistic Dukes of Hazard bar fight you can. Give it a good finale' by breaking something over yer buddies back. That's where the balsa wood 2x4 comes in handy. That should scare them away for a while.

I've got more ideas, but that's it for now. If you try any of my suggestions, please get it on tape. It might be worth sending in to Americas Funniest Videos. That could get you more than enough $$$$ to put in some barb wired 8 foot chain link fence.

Old 04-12-2005, 03:39 PM
kameronth
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Hmm. I would take a Bronco with the top off and mout a pole in the back floor board. Have someone drive and put you favorite rifle on the top of the pole and go to town. You know, kind of like those jeeps the military uses with the gatling guns on them. It might get you in a little trouble.

Old 04-12-2005, 04:54 PM
V-10 runner
Freshman User
Just thought of something ,i just remember that i have a bunch of 223 blanks.
I could run around in the woods with my AR-15 and scare the s#$%t out of them.

THOSE WHO ARE FOUND ON MY PROPERTY AT NIGHT
WELL BE FOUND ON MY PROPERTY IN THE MORNING.
( just kidding ) I like the blanks

Quick Reply: What does it take to keep tresspassers off my property?