Diesel in gasoline engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 03:47 AM
200000+F150
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Diesel in gasoline engine

Got a strange question, based on an accident 20 years ago. Maybe someone can shed some light on this. I bought an '85 Pontiac Sunbird new in '85. The first week I owned it, I went on a trip, stopped at a gas station and started pumping. The lady in the store opens the door and hollers: "Is that a diesel?"
"no. Why?" I asked. She says, "Cause you're putting diesel in it." I stopped and had maybe two gallons in. I started to panic, because it was the first EFI car I ever owned. I topped off the rest of the tank with 93 octane gas and drove it. I didn't notice any smoke really, and it ran fine. I finished out the trip and drove the car for years after that, never having to do anything to the fuel system. Thing is, it always got around 30-32mpgs, but that one weekend it got it's best ever of 40.1MPG. I always wondered if it was because the car was new and 'tight', or if the diesel in the tank had anything to do with it. Anyone got any input? BTW, it was the 1.8 TBI and a 5speed.

Old 07-22-2005, 10:34 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
well the oil that was mixed in sure couldn't hurt it esp with the little bit you put in. it would however prolly smoke. also the plugs i would think would be sooted. but i dunno. a lil bit of oil in a gasser can be a good thing if not done too often, i mean its all petroleum.

-cutts-

Old 08-01-2005, 03:02 PM
nick88f150
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I accidentally put it in our presserwasher at work, the whole tank was deisel. It didn't run at all. Had to tear it down and clean it all out. So I'd assume that too much and it'll give ya problems. might just give it a lil extra lubrication if ya get a little bit in your tank.