1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

new to board need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2000, 02:09 PM
nvstephanielv
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new to board need help

I am new to this board, I have a 1980 Ford F100, My husband used to do all the mechanical work on it, he has now passed away and I don't want to sell it. But I want to know where I can get help in learning how to either fix it myself or know what the mechanic is talking about when they tell me what needs to be done. I have been ripped off before but again my husband always took care of it. I have been reading posts on here and u all seem so knoweledgable I was wondering if anyone knows where I can, 1. learn how to know the parts of my truck and 2 . just general fixing info. Appreciate any advice u can give. Thanks Stephanie Stephan (wife of Scooter Stephan)

Old 12-18-2000, 02:16 PM
RGAZ
Senior User
new to board need help

I recommend reading a bit on your truck. If you are really starting from scratch and no absolutely nothing, I recommend a book titled "How your car works" the older edition is your best bet since you need to know the 80's version of car tech.

After you know the basic components of the vehicle everyone here can help you diagnose and repair what needs to be done specifically for that truck. I also recommend getting a good manual specifically for the truck or getting to know someone who has one.

Other than that, the dealer should be your last resort for repair since they are consistenetly the most expensive place for parts and labor. A good neighborhood mechanic should be able to fix just about anything on that truck.

Good luck.
Randy

Old 12-18-2000, 04:18 PM
nvstephanielv
New User
new to board need help

thanks I ll check that out. Appreciate it.Stephanie

Old 12-18-2000, 09:21 PM
travisd
Senior User
new to board need help

I have found that a Haynes or Chilton manual, which should be available at a local parts store, can be very useful. They are written to explain most repairs on a range of similarly built vehicles. Keep in mind that there might be some slight differences between model years. The biggest thing is to remember that it isn't rocket science and to not get intimidated. As long as you take it slow, you'll do just fine. It can also be handy if you develop a raport with someone locally who can help you understand any answers to questions you might have. Good Luck.

Old 12-18-2000, 09:39 PM
fatforty
Posting Guru
new to board need help

Hi, you can but a haynes manuel for 80-86 ford 100- 350 pickups it will cover most everything on your truck and not confuse you to much because everything in it pertains to these ford trucks.there are specific differences in parts because of engine size weight rateing and optional engines but all you have to do is get the book from pep boys or advance auto and anything that goes wrong with the truck come back to these pages and we will try to help in anyway we can then you can look in the book and match up pictures and processes with what you are told on here and since no one here is making money off of you, you can be sure you're not getting ripped off. John (FATFORTY)

Old 12-18-2000, 11:05 PM
jbhf250
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
new to board need help

>I am new to this board,
>I have a 1980 Ford
>F100, My husband used to
>do all the mechanical work
>on it, he has now
>passed away and I don't
>want to sell it. But
>I want to know where
>I can get help in
>learning how to either fix
>it myself or know what
>the mechanic is talking about
>when they tell me what
>needs to be done.

Thank you for asking for help!! PLEASE send us a `post`here or (me) an E-Mail any time you like for all the help you need!!

I
>have been ripped off before
>but again my husband always
>took care of it. I
>have been reading posts on
>here and u all seem
>so knoweledgable I was wondering
>if anyone knows where I
>can, 1. learn how to
>know the parts of my
>truck and 2 . just
>general fixing info. Appreciate any
>advice u can give. Thanks
>Stephanie Stephan (wife of Scooter
>Stephan)

Never feel like you have to ask! Many of us have been there before and will help YOU!! I think you are in So. Calif. if I remember.. I don`t have many contacts there now but mabe I`ll remember something that will help.

__JOHN__Õ¿ö
Member-
"Crusin North" Car Club
Santa Rosa, Calif.
72 F-250
ICQ#6030753

Old 12-19-2000, 04:22 AM
jonive
New User
new to board need help

A really good place to start learning about how to repair and maintain your truck would be to take some auto shop classes at your local junior college or technical school. Also pick up a book called " Auto Repair For Dummies " this book really helps to explain technical terms and basic ideas that you won't get from a manual. I started out doing both of the above and have come along way since and saved alot of money. I'm sure you'll do the same.

Old 12-19-2000, 05:53 AM
scarl38
New User
new to board need help

Stephanie: While I'm no mechanical wizard, I'll try to give you a cogent answer to your question: How can I develop auto-mechanic skills. First, be tenacious. Don't look at a particular problem as an obstacle, but rather an opportunity. It's really your attitude I'm talking about. If you can view your truck as a "hobby" that you take pride in, and an ongoping "project", you will soon enter the ranks of "gearheads" who read these boards. Second, educate yourself. Reading is good - doing is better. Check out your local library for pertinent books, better still, check with your local community college for classes you might enjoy taking. Finally, remember this: the first ten times you do a thing - anything - are the most difficult, after that it beomes easier. This is true for everything in life from brain surgery to changing the oil on your truck. Good luck. G Carl

"88 F-350 Crew Cab Dually w/ 2 big dogs"

Old 12-19-2000, 08:23 PM
jakegypsum
Posting Guru
new to board need help

Stephanie, There are a lot of people on this message board that would know a problem without even looking at the truck. The best part is that you can post a question 24 hrs a day. Post any question that you may have and we will try to answer it the best we can.

Jakegypsum // Ford fleet, soup to nuts.

Old 12-20-2000, 12:49 PM
Pastmaster
Postmaster
new to board need help

The Haynes manual is like the yellow pages in the phone book, it details the removal and rebuilding of about anything on a truck. It also gives pictures, which makes life a little easier. I bought my 1980-1996 book at Autozone for $13. Well worth the money. Another book to look into is the Ford owner's bible. It really isn't a tech book, but it gives quite abit of insite into the Ford truck world.

Pastmaster's 1993 XLT 5.0 E40d 3.55LS Normal Cab/Long bed Loaded from the factory with aid of...MSd 6a ign/s.p. wires, blaster coil, Hypertech Chip, K&N filtercharger, Cat-back dual exhuast w/o mufflers, 3.5", echo tips, Accel distributor cap, Dark Mocha over light mocha. 5% Dark tint, Alpine Cd player/remote, Pioneer speakers.

toydestroyer1(No Email Addresses In Posts!)

Old 12-22-2000, 10:37 AM
PAUL_2
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
new to board need help

Old 12-24-2000, 06:05 PM
jamden
Junior User
new to board need help

Another good thing to read, that is often overlooked, is your owners manual. Lots of information in there that you will find helpful. Merry Christmas.

1992 F150 Supercab SB 4x4 302 AOD 3.55 31x10.5 All Terrain on Ford 15x8 Ralleys