1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what kind of opitions was the cargo area?

Old 04-08-2005, 12:22 AM
rshissler
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what kind of opitions was the cargo area?

Like what kind of stuff could u chose from for the cargo area? I've seen something like long panels that had pockets in them for maps and stuff. anything like this for an 84? and like what else could u pick from for the cargo area. Mines like cardboard sides and a metal floor.

Old 04-08-2005, 12:33 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Depending upon the model year there were different levels of "trim" to the cargo area. Some were carpeted all the way up the tailgate. The small pockets behind the inner fenders were fairly common since they were incorporated into the side panels. There is, of course, the coveted retractable cargo area cover that so many seem to feel they can't live without. In spite of the fact that it is practically a "white elephant", this option functions like a window shade horizontally across the cargo area. It rolls from the top of the rear seat out to the edge of the tailgate. In order for it to work, the side panels must have the necessary slots for the cover to latch into. The passenger side map pocket is rendered almost useless if the spare is mounted inside the truck and the retractable cover will NOT work with the spare inside. Other than these few, I am not aware of any major options in the cargo area. I personally have always thought it would be nice to mount marine-style quick release pins with eyes for tying cargo down that is too small or fragile to be left to rock around back there. However these are a rather low priority itme so mine hasn't seen this addition yet.

Old 04-08-2005, 01:11 AM
rshissler
Senior User
I see. I was planin on just carpetin the entire cargo area because it will either be used for carryin boxes or small items and maybe i'd like to add some subs and a system one day.

Old 04-08-2005, 01:30 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Make sure you seal the entire cargo area well if there are any areas that are rusting or deteriorating when you remove the old carpet. Nothing hides rust and traps water better than carpeting. I had a 4" diameter hole in the floor of my 92 in the passenger side corner of the cargo area under the back seat that I didn't even know about until I began to notice the carpet was wet in that area. Turned out the hole had been there for a while and the carpet had trapped water spraying up from under the truck between itself and the cargo area floor. MOST of the rear floor was beginning to rust by the time I realized the problem and yanked all the rear carpeting out.

Old 04-08-2005, 05:58 PM
KBronco
Freshman User
The back area of my Bronco has bedliner in it and a 3/8" thick rubber mat on top of that. Nothing slips or slides hardly at all. I'd rather have that than carpet, especially when my Lab jumps in to ride. She really loves this truck with the rear window down.

Old 04-08-2005, 11:56 PM
rshissler
Senior User
thats a good idea there. Put bed liner down then make a carpet mat to go over top that. I would take my dog with but hes scared to ride in anything. Big sissy