Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Campbell Hausfeld Welder, who's got one? questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 09:30 PM
SSCX2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Campbell Hausfeld Welder, who's got one? questions.

I'm looking into a cheap MIG welder no big projects here just minor tooling around (learning) and maybe welding small stuff like exh pipe, hangers stupid stuff. Wally world has a closeout on Campbell Hausfeld welders. One is $199 115V gas ready MIG the other is just a flux core 110V $149. I'd like the better of the two but I have some questions I couldent find answers to before I buy one.
Are replacment tips hard to find or are they the same as Lincoln tips which Ive heard they are? Ive also heard duity cyle is very low like 10 minutes max is this true?

Thanks!

Old 04-07-2005, 03:06 AM
200000+F150
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd save my money for soomething better, personally. A used name brand would be better, but if you're itching to get one and aren't going to use it a lot, I'd spend the extra $50 and get the mig. Flux core works ok, but you'll get better results with solid wire and gas. Tips should be either lincoln(actually tweeco) type. The real problem will come when you need a liner or drive roll down the road. Although CH dealing these should make it easier to find, these welders are Italian made and I've seen them sold under at least 10 different brand names over the years. Finding parts used to be a MAJOR problem. They aren't build nearly as well as a Lincoln or a Miller/Hobart. There must be a big variation in them as well, since I've seen some work pretty decent and others not worth a crap, even though they were supposed to be identical.

Old 04-10-2005, 10:40 AM
SSCX2
Senior User
Thanks for the info!

Ive looked into quite a few different options since I posted but I just cant find anything good in my price range. I did find a Lincoln HD wire feed for $275 but it's not "upgradeable" to MIG. I'm just going to buy the CH MIG for now and If I get into welding more I'm sure I could sell it to one of my brothers down the road since they both have made claims in the past about wanting welders.

Off to Wally World.

Old 04-10-2005, 11:16 AM
Wanham
Freshman User
One thing about Lincoln, there are lots of dealers around to provide service.

Old 04-10-2005, 05:10 PM
SSCX2
Senior User
Well I went out in the Blizzard and got it, wind blowing like crazy I dident have to use my brakes stoping from 55. Well they did have it still the last one #WG2040, I looked for a pic on the net but couldent find the exact modle. It's actaully very nice looking with a nice side compartment, easy to install spools in and change polarity. Came with everything except a bottle so I'm happy. If it heats up a little in the garage I'll play around with it.

Old 04-11-2005, 11:02 PM
b2_tim
Senior User
Get some practice

Grab you some flux core that matches your tip size, and try it too. If your garage is windy the gas will not shield properly without a screen. For the stuff you described, exhaust, hangers, junk, flux core is fine.

I picked up a Hobard Handler 125 at the Tractor Supply co for $309 and have had great success with it. It has the MIG relay and all I need are the fittings if I ever need to gas things. But practice and you will find that it is a lot of fun.

Oh get a real flip down shield too. I need both hands free when I weld, for comfort. I have found the gold #10 to be best for me with my 45 year old eyes. It reflects light back on the work for easier viewing.

Old 04-14-2005, 02:00 PM
SSCX2
Senior User
Yea, thats the cool thing I have a Lincoln ARC welder that I use sometimes so I have a good helmet which the new glass from the cheap mask fit right in.

I did get to play with it, burned through the starter roll in 15 minutes. It sure is nice not sticking the wire to the work peice like the ARC welder tends to do. I think it was well worth the $200 investment. I still need to learn how to set wire speed and heat setings for working material but I can lay a real nice bead with this welder where the arc was temprimental. I'm going to get a new spoll this afternoon and weld some tube togather to see what kind of penetration/ strength I can get.

Old 04-14-2005, 05:13 PM
1952henry
Fleet Mechanic
Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts
As you may know, a nice sound like sizzling bacon is what you want. If the gun feels like it's bucking, back the speed down. If the wire seems to be just melting and sput-sputting, kick the speed up a bit. If you can see heat marks on the backside of the work piece, heat is about right, when viewed from the side, you should see penetration into the surface. Just my .02

Old 04-19-2005, 07:27 AM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
I bought a refurbed and gauranteed mig welder directly from Campbell Hausfeld. It was about the 2nd or 3rd model down from the best at the time. I've had it for almost a couple years and have no complaints. The quality of the machine and parts is great. The price was awesome. The Miller welding tips will also fit. I just replaced my .035 tip last month with those Miller tips. The gas mig welds are so much easier to see compared to the flux core. I don't have any gas tanks yet, so I'm still using flux core for my projects. I used my welder to put on the Fatman Fab xmember on my '50 f1. It worked great!!! Good luck with your decision. don't forget to use tip gel or spray to keep the end clean. I use the tub of gel and dip the tip in occassionally to keep spatter and spark from permanently marring the tip and cup surface. Also keep a good quality wire brush and chipping hammer handy for flux weld cleaning.

Old 06-03-2005, 11:14 AM
Pkupman82
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dad and I went in together on a Millermatic 135 115v gas ready wire-fed machine. I love it! I am currently just running the fluxcored wire, but it works fine for what we need it for: light fabricating, exhaust systems, body work, little repairs around the garage. You're definately better off saving up and buying a good one like a Miller or a Lincoln or a Hobart. These brands can be serviced and kept up and running forever.

Old 06-03-2005, 06:35 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
CH isn't exactly a bad welder, its just that when it does break, it is hard to find parts for. SSCX2, if your welds aren't sticking, there are a couple things you can try. First, like was mentioned above, you can turn up your heat, or turn your wire speed down. It takes practice to get that right, though. Make sure you are welding on a very clean surface. Dirt, grim, rust, etc. really work against you when you MIG. Also, just throwing this out there, becuase I happen to be in this situation. The only metal I have been able to dig up to practice on recently is Zinc coated sheet and fence posts. You need to run quite a bit hotter to burn through the zinc coating to the metal, or the welds just pop off

Old 06-03-2005, 07:05 PM
smoove_d
Junior User
You need to be careful welding anything with zinc coating, as the fumes are quite toxic.
Also, I can barely understand the concept of using flux-core wire- if I wanted to chip slag I'd use a stick welder. Granted, you can weld thinner metal with the flux-core MIG than with a stick, but I'd save up my milk money and get the bottle.
Obviously, a welder with potentiometer controlled heat range and wire speed(infinite control) is better than switch control, but that costs extra.

Old 06-03-2005, 08:01 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Originally Posted by SSCX2
I'm looking into a cheap MIG welder no big projects here just minor tooling around (learning) and maybe welding small stuff like exh pipe, hangers stupid stuff. Wally world has a closeout on Campbell Hausfeld welders. One is $199 115V gas ready MIG the other is just a flux core 110V $149. I'd like the better of the two but I have some questions I couldent find answers to before I buy one.
Are replacment tips hard to find or are they the same as Lincoln tips which Ive heard they are? Ive also heard duity cyle is very low like 10 minutes max is this true?

Thanks!
well the duty cycle is under rated i almost never excede it i bought the flux core model because it produces a hotter spark the tips are easy to find about 5.00 at homedepot other than that it comes with a 5 year warranty 2 years more than lincoln i have had mine since 2001 so far all its need was a new gorund clamp and i installed a new power cord its a little beat up but still works great it fell out of my truck and then it was almost completly sumbmerged in water twice i left it outside on accident but just let it dry out and its fine

Old 06-05-2005, 10:34 PM
b2_tim
Senior User
A flux core wire feed is so much easier than a stick for the novice welder that it isn't even funny. I have made good penetration on 3/16" plate with my Hobart 125 flux core using .30 wire. Sure gas may be cleaner, but who wants to lug a bottle around, refill it, store it, and that hassle for general welding. Also with practice you can learn how to reduce splatter, ie. prep your welds properly. Not trying to cast stones, but a rookie can really learn to make some good stong welds with FCAW. Why just yesterday I hand carried my HH 125 out to the truck, pluged it in and spot welded my front bumper I was fabing up in the driveway. I then finished it up in my shop, and trail rated it today at the Badlands. Enjoy your new welder and make stuff!

Old 06-15-2005, 09:39 PM
SSCX2
Senior User
Well it's been two months sice I got it. I love the crap out of it, I broke down a couple days ago and got a 10 pound spool $55, still using flux core.

It works great and I havent broken anything yet. It might not be a $1,000+ welder but it welds just as good as the one my friend got from MATCO which will only weld the same thickness of steel but cost $1800.