1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Still using the Push Button Start?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 08:40 PM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting to see what is kept to maintain old truckyness (if that is indeed a word)! We read about the car-like ride available to Volare and Pinto (and other) IFS users. We have the option of power everything and airconditioning. We can make them extraordinarily low and enormously overpowered. We can stop them quicker and upgrade to a tweedy gray interior.

Now I'm all for the guy who wants to do any or all of the above... we'd have to agree, the 48-60 forum is Liberty Hall. Looking at the once red little jewel that resides here on Illinois Street, you'd be hard pressed to find any of the above but the starter button.

One day we might like some of those quick to stop disc brakes. One day, Mrs. H will help me with the roll and pleats for the interior. There will be days when an a/c would make cruising the desert more comfortable. There won't be a day that the starter button isn't there to start the truck.

opinions are like bellybuttons, mine includes the starter button, himmelberg

Old 04-04-2005, 08:48 PM
Jeff55F100
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a very vivid memory of being in my father's '55 one Saturday afternoon, I must have been about 9 or 10 years old. I was waiting for him to finish mowing a baseball diamond and field for the local little league I was playing in, and sitting in the truck, looking at the starter button wondering "What does this thing do..??"

Sooo.....I pushed the button! The truck leaped forward, but then came to a stop as abruptly as it lunged. "Hmmmm, that was interesting.." I thought.

Never told Dad I was messing with the buttons, but also never messed with them again. Lesson learned.

Oh....by the way....the button stays.

Old 04-04-2005, 09:04 PM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
whoa...I haven't studied the wiring schematic for the button start. Is it always hot? I know the ignition circuits aren't part of the start button, but were these old trucks wired so that the motor could crank without the keyed switch providing power to it?

Old 04-04-2005, 09:08 PM
skinnyman
Junior User
The button is cool

I am redoing the 55 f-100 ford ..and hooking up the push button ..had one in high school (1985) as well ....great theft device...

Old 04-04-2005, 09:09 PM
Jeff55F100
Senior User
I'm not sure if that were the case, Dad was always tinkering (and still is). He could have wired the thing so that it was always hot. I just recall it scaring the snot out of me. I could actually check this weekend, the truck is in the back yard, waiting for a restoration.

Old 04-04-2005, 09:17 PM
286merc
Posting Guru
As far as I can remember the button was always hot and not just on Ford products. I had a similar button experience when I was about 10 in a 38 Packard.

The real fun one was on Buicks, the button (solenoid lever actually) was under the gas pedal.

Old 04-04-2005, 09:37 PM
46yblock
Postmaster
I'm using the push button and plan on keeping it.

Old 04-04-2005, 10:07 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
On my 55' F100 with 5.0 EFI I have kept the starter button. I just like it.

Old 04-04-2005, 11:42 PM
fordcountry
Senior User
I know for a fact that the truck I just got is all stock. I found out the hard way that the button is hot. The truck lunged forward in my garage when I bumped it on accident. If your truck is stock it is always HOT

Old 04-05-2005, 12:13 PM
TheMadFabber
Senior User
I wired in a push button starter on my Model A... 'cause it's just so dang cool!

I think it is the little things, such as this, that makes old cars fun... you can update the drive train, the suspension... even the interior... but things such as starter buttons and a keyed entry on the passenger's side are neat-o!

Jeff, I was checking out your pics... and it looks like you have a really neat project with some cool history!

Sam.

Old 04-05-2005, 01:07 PM
SteV8e
Elder User
They are always hot. The engine will crank, but not fire with the ignition key off.

I too pushed that button as a young boy on my dad's 40 Ford 1-1/2 ton truck. It lurched forward and stopped just shy of the inside of the garage door. Lucky for me that he did not find out.

My truck will always have the starter button.

I concur with FatFenders that 12 Volts is easier on the wires. Power = Voltage X Current, so twice the voltage = half the current.

Old 04-05-2005, 04:52 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by SteV8e
They are always hot. The engine will crank, but not fire with the ignition key off.

I too pushed that button as a young boy on my dad's 40 Ford 1-1/2 ton truck. It lurched forward and stopped just shy of the inside of the garage door. Lucky for me that he did not find out.

My truck will always have the starter button.

I concur with FatFenders that 12 Volts is easier on the wires. Power = Voltage X Current, so twice the voltage = half the current.
I don't think it would necessarily need to be always hot. I ran my off the "run" position. I saw little need to crank the engine when the ignition isn't hot. You can kill the ignition some other way on those rare occasions.

Old 04-05-2005, 09:02 PM
grover
Senior User
I'm a traditionalist! I still use the starter button!

I drove a '59 Impala when I was a tad younger than I now am. When the ignition switch went out, I installed one of those aftermarket starter buttons in the ash tray. Since I don't smoke, and I wouldn't let anybody smoke in my car, that was no problem.

However, it freaked out my passengers when I'd open the ashray and start the car.

Paul Gayda! You out there????

Old 04-05-2005, 09:07 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,454 Posts
Don Neighbors and Grover!

Don, Where have you been!!! Welcome back!
good to hear from you! What is new with you , family and Grover11

abe

Old 04-06-2005, 06:28 AM
Huntsman
Posting Guru
Just as I suspected, The push button is that important. Thanks

Quick Reply: Still using the Push Button Start?