Sponsored by: DP Tuner

I could use some advice!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 05:37 PM
DD1684
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I could use some advice!

I'm 21 years old with a 2000 F-250 4x4 PSD. Ever since I got my license, I had aspirations for owning a diesel-powered, heavy duty truck. About 4 weeks ago, I purchased the truck after selling my Dodge Ram. I absolutely love driving it (the PSD), but I'm having second thoughts. I'd hate to go back to gas, but it almost seems like a more practical choice. Based on what I say about my driving habits, tell me whether you guys think I should keep the PSD (really want to!) or if I should convert back to a gas-powered truck. And if I keep the PSD, what should I do to keep it running the way it should beside changing the oil more frequently? Keep in mind I don't buy vehicles based on what I need, rather because it's what I want. Thanks fellas!

-The truck will pull a 6000lb snowmobile trailer to Maine from Massachusetts 2-4 times per year (5 hours).
-It will possibly tow a car/trailer to Pennsylvania once per year (5300lbs)
-I drive to school between September and May approximately 3-5 times per week, which is about a 28 mile round trip
-The truck will be driven to my work place 5-6 times per week in the summer, which is about 2 minutes from my house.
-The truck sees occasional miscellaneous driving. I try keeping the "grocery trips" to a bare minimum. Why are all the stores right up the street from my house?!
-I may have my father take the truck to work a few times each week in the summer. His commute is 45 minutes, so the truck will heat up a lot better than it would going 14 miles to school or 2 miles to work. 30 minutes of his commute are highway.

Again guys, I'd love nothing more than to keep this truck, but I'm just wondering if this truck is suitable for my driving habits. I just don't want the truck to break! I realize that it is a work truck, but I bought it mainly for commuting. I also like the slightly better fuel mileage. It'll see trips to Home Depot now and then, but it's not a truck that's going to see any high mileage driving while under my ownership.

Old 04-03-2005, 05:53 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
hey ford brother,

congrats on your new truck, and hell no...! don't get rid of that truck...! i live just north of you in NH... my 02 blue mule is my dailly driver, (100 miles a day), and i wouldn't trade it for anything. I get 18-20 mpg, once we get off this "winter blend" junk. i used to tow a 26' camper that weighed 6k, i barely remembered it was behind me, till i would go to stop..! now i tow a 28' fifth wheel that weighs 10k. my mule is bone stock for now, (except for tires), and she pulls the camper with no problems. But even if i didn't have the camper, i would still choose the diesel, just in case i needed it, but also because, to me, it just isn't a truck without a smoker motor in it. Do what you think is best for you, but know this, if you get a different truck, you will probably just go back to the diesel anyway, lots of people do. so why throw away all that money, just keep the one you have..! By the way, even though i only tow with mine a dozen or so times a year, it's the right tool for the job. and, because it is built to work, but i'm not working it, (actually i baby this thing), i am hoping to get 500k miles out of this girl, maybe i'm crazy, but maybe not... and if it will last that long, how cost efficient is that, i don't know of any gas motors that will last anywhere near that long....!

p.s.
the 7.3's don't break unless something has been neglected or abused... read some of the posts on hear and you'll see, they are about as bullet proof as you are gonna find.... the cummins diesels dodge uses are as good, but the trucks themselves don't last like the psd's do....

Last edited by johnny8; 04-03-2005 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:18 PM
DD1684
Elder User
So Johnny8 you don't think my driving habits are a big deal? Think it'll run fine the way I drive as long as I keep up with maintenance?

Old 04-03-2005, 06:34 PM
CAT_man_963
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If that's the truck that you want - then by all means - KEEP IT!! I see no reason to "switch back to gas" just because of your driving habits. I don't use my truck as a truck 90% of the time - but there's no way I'd be trading in for a gasser. I got a diesel 'cause I wanted one, dang-it, and that's the only reason - shoot I could get by with a Plymouth Horizon - but I DON'T!! I say keep it and spend a couple thousand on mods and it can be your daily driven race truck.

Old 04-03-2005, 06:51 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT_man_963
I got a diesel 'cause I wanted one, dang-it, and that's the only reason - shoot I could get by with a Plymouth Horizon - but I DON'T!!
Ha you took the words right out of my mouth!! I "could" get by with a lesser rig... but heck you only live once right!!?? If you like the truck then keep it! take care of her and she'll outlast any gasser on the road. My truck gets driven 10 Mi round trip each day... with the monthly runs to CT and NH. I will never go back to a gasser. My Doctor told me I had Diesel Running through my veins on my last checkup... But if diesel in your veins doesn't bother you then Fill-er up and Cut-er loose!! good luck with the new truck.... you will find this board very helpfull if you have any questions about her

-Robb

Old 04-03-2005, 07:01 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
dd1684,

that truck will last you a long, long, long, long time.... you'll probably sell it because you want something else, not because you need to. and, it sound like you are like me, and i never want to sell my truck..! i hope i can drive this thing for the next 20 years.! you and i both live in New England, so you know that is unlikely, but i wish my truck would last that long...! just keep the oil changed at least every 5k miles, and keep that air filter clean...! check your intake tube, (big black pipe that goes from the air box to the turbo), and make sure there is no dust or dirt in it. if there is, get an after market air filter. there are lots of post in here on that..! those two things are the most important maintenance items. Do that and change the fluids in the rest of the truck, then drive it...!

ps...this has GOT to be the quote of the month...!

"I got a diesel 'cause I wanted one, dang-it, and that's the only reason - shoot I could get by with a Plymouth Horizon - but I DON'T!!"

Old 04-03-2005, 07:13 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
dd1684,

i have one other reccomendation for you. go to circut city and get a remote starter for your mule. it is important in the winter to let these mules warm up. use the plug in engine heater, but a remote starter lets you fire her up and give her time to warm up while you get a shower or have breakfast. plus my remote has a "cool down" feature that will keep the truck running for 5 or 10 minutes, whichever i choose, to cool down the turbo. this is another really good thing to do for any diesel. my remote starter was $280 installed, and that included the 20 delay relay that gives the engine time to preheat before start up in the winter. the nice thing about this set up is when you get in the truck she is ready to go...!

Old 04-03-2005, 07:26 PM
DD1684
Elder User
"I got a diesel 'cause I wanted one, dang-it, and that's the only reason - shoot I could get by with a Plymouth Horizon - but I DON'T!!"[/QUOTE]

DAMN RIGHT!!!

Old 04-03-2005, 07:28 PM
KC10Chief
New User
Are you single? If so, like the song says, "there's something women love about a pickup man". I don't think they are talking about a Ford Ranger or an S-10 man either. A diesel sounds tough and you can do just about anything with it. Maybe the diesel will cost a little extra in maintenance, but also consider the depreciation. Diesel's hold their value a lot better than gassers too. I say that you should keep the truck! Of course, you are going to get bias feedback here in the diesel forum! Matt

Old 04-03-2005, 07:42 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
bias shmias....

KC10 is just being politically correct...! but don't blame him..! of course the guys with smoker motors are gonna tell you diesels are the best..!

but, i offer you some proof that they are.... just pay attention to how people react when they hear the diesel motor in your truck.... they will look at your truck the whole time you drive by... if i'm lyin' i'm dyin'.... this happens to me every day...!

other than my tires, which are a little bigger than stock, my mule is straight stock, so you KNOW that it is the sound of the diesel that is attracting attention..! people complain that they are too loud, well, not in the cab they're not...! my mule is sooo quiet running down the highway i can hardly believe it... but open the window, or tow something big, and you KNOW you are driving a truck with POWER...! hook up a tuner and a some mods and your truck will spank your buddies little rice race cars...

trust me, you own a REAL truck, not that the gas super duties are bad trucks, they aren't... it's just that there is something about a diesel...

Last edited by johnny8; 04-03-2005 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:43 PM
DD1684
Elder User
KC10Chief,
There aren't any women yet. If I had a girlfriend right now, I wouldn't have been able to buy the PSD in the first place!

Old 04-03-2005, 07:50 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
hey kc10...!

here's a really smart young guy...! not only does he buy a 7.3 psd, he knows that as soon as the women start hangin' round, you don't have money for anything else...!

dd1684... keep the truck... and get any mods you want installed BEFORE you find your next girlfriend....! i married the only girl who ever treated me as good as my psd does..!

Last edited by johnny8; 04-03-2005 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:50 PM
DD1684
Elder User
Johnny8 you're soooo right man. Whenever I drive by, people watch until I'm out of sight. Especially younger guys and gals. The average 21 year old guy drives a Mitsubishi Eclipse, or some other toilet. Not a SUPER DUTY. A diesel one for that matter. I drive to college all week, and there are plenty of ladies around who either hear me or see me coming. I go to a school of 3000 students, and I'm the ONLY one with a PSD Super Duty. Yeah, I love it.

Old 04-03-2005, 07:52 PM
DD1684
Elder User
Johnny good call man LOL

Old 04-03-2005, 07:58 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
dd1684....

thanks man... i may be old... but i'm not blind and i'm not stupid.... i have wanted a truck like the ones we have since i was 16... but i didn't go out and get one till i was 37 years old... the only thing i have to say is.... WHY THE HELL DID I WAIT SOOO LONG....! i will NEVER have any other vehicle than this or something JUST LIKE IT...! LONG LIVE THE POWER STROKE..!

Quick Reply: I could use some advice!