Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Dumbest thing you've ever done in your garage...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 01:20 AM
wyoming4x4
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My friend Joe and Will one day decided to change a u joint on the 68 chevy 2wd. It had a 6cyl engine. For some reason you have to have a floor jack to change a u joint in a 68 chevy. Well any ways Will has 78 ford with 460 and always outruns joes truck. joe don't like this. Will's truck goes over 100mph and joes chevy will not. So somewhere along the way after a few sixpacks joe decides he's gonna make his chevy do 100 mph on a jack stand. As he's reving the engine in gear trying to get it to do 100 mph it vibrates off the jackstand and launches out the shop. He had bias ply tires also. Anyways the cool factor of the incident is He did do 100mph he says and when it fell off jack stand it pulled the front tires off the ground when it launched. The problem is when it fell off joe was hanging out the door watching the tires while holding his beer when it launched. He fell out and truck kept on going in 3rd gear. Joe couldn't chase truck due to mild concussion when he hit his head on floor trying to save his beer. According to the police report when truck stopped at neigbors shop a 1/4 mile across field. Had to be a police report for the insurance report for damage to shop. This is one of redneck moments that make jeff foxworthy proud. I have to admit its the only 6cyl chevy that pulls the front tires that I know of. I was told of this and seen the damage later but wish I was their to see this one. This happened many yrs ago but I still laugh. Both of these guys have married and have offspring. This story isn't over??

Old 07-25-2009, 01:30 AM
Holiver31
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming4x4
Both of these guys have married and have offspring. This story isn't over??
This scares me.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:53 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
Originally Posted by King Triton
Dumbest thing you've ever done in your garage...

Umm,,, I would have to say,,,,My Ex

i thought the dumbest thing you ever did in your garage was walk into it??

Old 07-26-2009, 11:26 PM
King Triton
Postmaster

Originally Posted by tjc transport
i thought the dumbest thing you ever did in your garage was walk into it??
Who took a dump in your cheerios?

Old 07-27-2009, 03:48 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
boy, what a grumpy Guss you are!!.
didn't ya see the smilie ??

Old 07-27-2009, 06:39 AM
King Triton
Postmaster

Originally Posted by tjc transport
boy, what a grumpy Guss you are!!.
didn't ya see the smilie ??
I AM NOT GRUMPY! He is my brother! I am the dwarf you never hear about "Horny". Ever since that incident with Snow White where I wasnt "Bashful" and played "Doc" with a couple pills I swiped from "Dopey" making her "Sleepy" so I could make myself "Happy" everybody thinks I`m "Grumpy" cause they kicked me outta the house. Trust me, I AINT "Grumpy". But if Snow White keeps making me wait out here in the cold till the others fall asleep every night, I might become "Sneezy"

Old 07-27-2009, 08:28 PM
Michiganford
New User
i got a good one, this happened last summer. me and my buddy were mounting a set of tires on his f150. we had one left to air up but we couldnt get it to seat on the beads. of course the last one is always the biggest pain in the ****. prior to this, i seen my neighbor get a stubborn tire to bead up once by spraying starting fluid into the tire and lighting it. so i thought i would try it. i had my buddy hold the air chuck on the valve stem, i sprayed a "hefty" amount of ether into the tire. i struck one of those long bbq matches and stuck it into the tire. boom! the tire seated instantly and my buddys arm went up into flames! apparently some over spray got onto his arm. it was good stuff. i laughed my butt off. the garage smelt like burnt hair the rest of the night!

Old 07-28-2009, 04:20 PM
USArmyTaterness
Posting Guru
talk about hold my beer and watch this lol

Old 10-21-2009, 12:13 PM
adworden
Freshman User
stupid(?) things

I must have been about 16 or 17 when I grabbed the coil wire (on my running '68 Ford Custom). I think the car was misfiring, so I was checking the wire connections.....The shock didn't really hurt, is was slamming my head into the hood latch.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:39 PM
harris2108
Junior User
I was about 8 helping my dad start an old Cat D4 with a pony motor. The kill switch didn't work and we usually manually grabbed the choke at the carb and choked it until died. I'd seen my Dad do this many times. This time he was telling me to kill it. Instead of grabbing the choke, I grabbed a nice wet 1x4 board to unhook the spark plug wire. . .

Wow, Wow, Wow

Old 10-23-2009, 10:40 AM
Mr.Ford 351W
Senior User
Originally Posted by harris2108
I was about 8 helping my dad start an old Cat D4 with a pony motor. The kill switch didn't work and we usually manually grabbed the choke at the carb and choked it until died. I'd seen my Dad do this many times. This time he was telling me to kill it. Instead of grabbing the choke, I grabbed a nice wet 1x4 board to unhook the spark plug wire. . .

Wow, Wow, Wow
felt nice right,did you do it again?

Old 10-23-2009, 05:40 PM
nitrogen
Cargo Master
Received 108 Likes on 64 Posts
helping dear old dad always gives you a warm fuzzy feeling don't it? haha

Old 10-23-2009, 05:46 PM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've done so much stupid stuff, I don't know where to begin. I suppose one of the deadliest was when the 289 in my brother's '67 Cougar kicked some rods into the oil pan. We had the motor out, and it was hanging by the hoist. We attached it to the hoist by removing the intake, then putting two of the intake bolts through a couple feet of chain, diagonally, one in the passenger side head at the front, one in the driver side head at the rear. We were getting ready to put it on the engine stand to see what all broke and my brother was taking off the bellhousing and clutch. For some reason, I thought it would be a great time to remove the heads. Out of the three other people in the garage (average age, 19) nobody stopped me and when I got the last head bolt out, the head got yanked off by half the chain, the cherry picker tipped over, motor and all, nearly killing my brother, who was on his knees removing the flywheel. When the dust settled, we all just looked at each other, then had kind of a nervous laugh about it. I still shake my head thinking about it...

Old 10-23-2009, 09:44 PM
ReadOrDie_WoW
Senior User
Thats an easy one, while under my 94' f-150 last winter I was putting in a tranny, lifted the tranny up by hand and propped my knee up to hold it, without thinking, I rolled to the left to grab my ratchet and nearly got a crushed skull when the bell housing slammed down into the concrete (cracking it) and watched at the torque converted rolled by my head. I nervously laughed it off, climbed out from under the truck and drove a short three miles to borrow a tranny jack from a friend. Later the next day I was fixing to lower the rear end (which was on jacks) when I realized the front (which was on ramps) was the only thing keeping the truck from going anywhere, and so I wasn't surprised when I finally did start lowering the truck and it fell off the jacks and rolled down hill intil the drive wheels caught it, I guess the cold weather froze my brain in that little episode :P

Old 10-24-2009, 05:48 AM
mitchntx
Senior User
Using a 6" hand held grinder (you already know where this is going, right?) I decided to grind a notch in a piece of tubing.

About 1/2 done, the disc bound up while at full song and the grinder disappeared.

I turn around and see it about 15' behind me, the handle buried in the ground.

I take inventory of ALL appendages and everything is OK. I got very lucky that day.

Quick Reply: Dumbest thing you've ever done in your garage...