Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

F150 vs Nissan Frontier

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 09:55 PM
NewToFords2
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F150 vs Nissan Frontier

Both trucks are 4 doors and I am not concerned about towing. I really like the F-150s due to the Interior room. It sure is a great truck and very roomy inside and I like how high it rides.

The problem is the Frontier seems to be winning in the battle due to the following:

Pros for the Frontier
--------------------
About 4 grand cheaper
Better gas mileage (which is important with gas currently at $2.20/gallon)
Will provide more room in the garage to move around
265 HP (Better acceleration)
Spray on bed liner

Now if they were the same price, it would make the choice that much more difficult.

Right now the Frontier is winning.
What other items should I consider to bring the F-150 in to the lead?

Old 03-30-2005, 10:07 PM
ARMORER
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, most importantly I'ts a Ford!!!!!!!!!!!!! Aside from just being better that also means that repair prices, and parts and service will be cheaper on the Ford. And the frontier cannot hold a candle to the F150 in the looks dept. What would you rather be seen in? A Nissan or a Ford???

Old 03-30-2005, 10:16 PM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a real problem here. Both trucks are in a different class. If you don't need the capabilities of the F150 why are you even looking at one. Stick with the mid size trucks. I may be Ford blue but I'm not so loyal as to choose Ford if I don't really need it. What do you want the truck for to begin with? You said you don't need the towing capability, will you use the payload capability. If you don't need that you don't need the F150.

Of course all other consideration aside I do think the F150 is alot better looking.

Old 03-30-2005, 10:59 PM
westladog
Senior User
I agree. You can't compare the F-150 to the Frontier. They're not in the same class.
What about the Tacoma?

Old 03-30-2005, 11:15 PM
MIKE1646
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Pick the one that you like better, you have to be happy with the truck you pick remember making payments on a truck that you don't like won't be fun.

Old 03-30-2005, 11:53 PM
gilraine
Tuned
my GF has on 04 xterra.. biggest POS on the road... nissans quality has went down the tubes lately IMO...

Old 03-31-2005, 06:12 AM
rang4wd
Junior User
I would be skeptical about the better fuel mileage. If you are looking at a v6 Frontier, I would bet the mileage is not much better than 18 mpg on average driving. Let's say 50/50 mix of city and highway. I am averaging 17.5 mpg with my 4.6l v8 in my 2004 F150. Most people I know with v6 small trucks don't get much better mpg. That includes Rangers, Tacomas and Frontiers.

Old 03-31-2005, 03:17 PM
abmobil
Senior User
If your wanting a full size the titan is worth a look.
Alot of people have been reporting an average of 20mpg with the 05 frontier v6 with city driving and 22 or better for highway.
Its makes lots of power and still gets respectable fuel economy.
Its a high tech engine so that helps it as well as having variable valve timing on the intake and exhaust side.
265hp and 284 ft lbs of torque isent bad for a 4.0 6 cylinder.

Last edited by abmobil; 03-31-2005 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:46 PM
trucksforever
Senior User
both trucks are awesome, just in a different class. The new frontier just plain hauls. I rode with my uncle while he drove one with a 6 speed manual and he squeeled the tires in two gears. The frontier is nice but my only complaint was on the interior room. it cant even compare with the room the F-150 has.

Old 03-31-2005, 06:15 PM
Flash
Posting Guru
While I would agree that the trucks are not in the same class, they can certainly be compared. For the Frontier:
The V6 is reporting mileage in the 20 town, 22+ hiway area and these engines only have 3000 miles or less on them so there may be a little more to be had. The engine is hooked up to the same tranny as the Titan and is a 5 speed. If the tranny can hold the 305 HP of the Titan, it should prove to be tough with the 265 HP six banger. This little engine should also make it much quicker than the F-150 with the 5.4 as the HP to weight ratio is better in the Fronty and you have 5 speeds instead of the antique 4. There have been no major issues with the new Fronty which means Nissan did their homework on this one, not like the F-150 that still has far too many issues. The down side for the Nissan, the interior for my 6'4" body makes it crowded. The interior layout is very similair to the Lariat. I have issues with their options per model of truck. If you want a loaded up truck, there is the LE. But it comes standard with a dumb looking roof rack and a "fall over me cause I'm stupid" step rail on the side. Or you can go to the NISMO, but you better have a good dentist as it rides pretty rough with all of the off road goodies. Or you can step down to the plain Jane SE and get the power package which puts power windows, doors, and a security system that includes keyless entry but you don't get the key folb to make it work- go figure. You can buy them off of Ebay and program it yourself but the truck should come with it. If you want the up grade stereo, you have to get an LE or NISMO AND a moonroof or you can't have it. Just a dumb selection per model of truck.
For the Ford, you get far more interior room. You get a proven engine with either of the Triton engines but the tranny sucks big time. Ride will be better with the longer wheel base. Generally, there are more selections per model so you can dress it up or down as you like. Most likely, while you may pay more at the bottom of the invoice for the Ford, with financing incentives on the Ford, your payment may the same or lower than the Nissan. Figure Nissan money at 6% if you have stellar credit. The real unknown here is resale value. Ford is not the greatest but tradionally, Nissan trucks are horrible. Will it change? Who knows.
Some body mentioned the Tacoma. It has had more issues than the F-150. Noisy engines, cab bolts falling out, rattles, broken windshields, and the plastic bed (thats right folks- it's plastic) is subject to break especially if you put a top on it. Toyota has not been real nice about warranting these either. It also requires premium gas for maximum performance. It ain't the old Tacoma, that's for sure.

Old 04-02-2005, 04:53 PM
JohnnyBoy
Senior User
Originally Posted by trucksforever
both trucks are awesome, just in a different class. The new frontier just plain hauls. I rode with my uncle while he drove one with a 6 speed manual and he squeeled the tires in two gears. The frontier is nice but my only complaint was on the interior room. it cant even compare with the room the F-150 has.
I can squeal them in 3rd with my womans v6 mustang. Thats nothing! Seriously, if you dont need a full size, dont get one. Or get one, it's just up to you. Personally, I dont fit well to say the least in compact trucks. If I could I'd be driving around in a civic!! Drive em both and then buy the FORD

Old 04-06-2005, 05:36 AM
95250mac
Senior User
Spray on?

......Will provide more room in the garage to move around
265 HP (Better acceleration)
Spray on bed liner

Why does everyone like the "Spray on bed liner"

It just does not hold up to any "drop abuse"

Old 04-06-2005, 05:49 AM
tmyers
Posting Guru
True but a drop in bed liner will ruin the bed itself because it will remove the paint and rust will form. Also you need a none slip mat of some type to keep loads from shifting around with a drop in.

Old 04-07-2005, 04:43 AM
95250mac
Senior User
Originally Posted by tmyers
True but a drop in bed liner will ruin the bed itself because it will remove the paint and rust will form. Also you need a none slip mat of some type to keep loads from shifting around with a drop in.
My father's F250 has over 200,000 mi on it and the rest of the truck is rusting out but no trouble at all with the bed!!

At about $150.00 for a bed liner and about $350. for a spray on I think I will never switch to a spray on.
Spray on does not look good anyway, it looks like a bad paint job!!

When posting a reply that is directly above … THERE IS NO NEED TO USE THE QUOTE FUNCTION....lets say we get 2500 posts a week, just
to pick a number, and only 50 percent used the quote function…well, you can imagine how many extra pages are used, and not needed…
Thanks Admin Tim here

Old 04-07-2005, 05:01 AM
tmyers
Posting Guru
When was the last time you looked. My truck is almost 30 years old and has very little rust on it unless you look under the bed liner. Sorry but a drop in will never be in the back of any truck I own again. But to each there own.

Quick Reply: F150 vs Nissan Frontier