Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-30-2005, 04:32 PM
Senior User

BltFordTough is starting off with a positive reputation.
Rear disc brake removal ?? (rotors stuck and wont come off)

Hey Guys, I am working on my 2002 superduty. Working on a rear disc brake job and i cant get the dang disc's off!!! Any tips on how to do this ??

Thanks in advance.

Ryan
Old 03-30-2005, 05:11 PM
Elder User

Cuda444 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just take a block of wood, hold against the back of one side of the rotor and tap it a few times, switch sides, top, bottom, with a hammer... it should just wiggle off... I dunno if you've tried it yet, but that's how I usually do it
Old 03-30-2005, 06:56 PM
Posting Guru

m350 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I just changed the E-brake shoes on my 97' Expedition today, rear disks, to remove the rotor,,,It did'nt want to come off, so I placed a pry bar( large screw driver) between the caliper bracket and rotor, applied pressure to bar and with a hammer hit the rotor near the center between the wheels studs,,that sucker popped then ! Then just had to wiggle it a bit,,the e-brake had come apart, and locked up the wheel,,so had to do it. I think the Superdutys are about the same setup,,but bigger. Good luck !
Later,,,,,,,,Mark

04' Explorer NBX, 4.6, auto, 3:73 LS

68' Torino, 289, 4 gear, 268H Comp Cam, Edlebrock RPM Intake, Holley 600 cfm, Headers, 2-1/4 FlowMaster 40's, Ford 9" 3:50 Trac-Loc--SOLD
Old 03-30-2005, 10:13 PM
Freshman User

Kostiuk is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just did the rear brakes on mine and they were rusted on really bad. I beat the crap out of them with a dead blow hammer and couldn't move them. I finally fired up my air hammer and used it on the rotor all around the wheel studs. That loosened them up and I was able to work them back and forth to get them clear of the e-brake shoes.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:24 AM

captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.
heat

if you have a red and green set. heat the area around the axle center untill you hear it pop then pull them off. its a old drum trick that still works. i have done it at home with a propane torch just takes longer
Old 03-31-2005, 08:28 AM
Posting Guru

Frobozz is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you're replacing the rotor anyway, then beat the living crap out of it from the back with a sledgehammer. That pops it right off after a couple of blows, and badly mars the rotor surface in the process. Remember to smear a little anti-sieze on the hub pilot hole of the new rotor before putting it back. (And of course smear the anti-sieze on the hole in the alloy wheels if you have them!)

As a marginally-related aside: I have a 2003 F250 4x4. I assume the front rotors pop off the same way, i.e. no need to undo wheel bearings or anything? I think mine just have pad material on them which I'll try to clean off, but if they're actually warped then it's replacement time.

Duncan
Old 03-31-2005, 12:06 PM
Senior User

DZari is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just like the dead blow hammer, I use a five pound rubber mallet and beat around the edges of the rotor to set up a harmonic and POP off it comes.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:55 AM
Posting Guru

Frobozz is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frobozz
As a marginally-related aside: I have a 2003 F250 4x4. I assume the front rotors pop off the same way, i.e. no need to undo wheel bearings or anything? I think mine just have pad material on them which I'll try to clean off, but if they're actually warped then it's replacement time.
Answered my own question yesterday: yep, the fronts are put together just like the rears. Except, surprise surprise, Ford actually slathered anti-sieze lubricant all over the back side of the center of the front rotors, unlike the rears! They just dropped off in my hands once I got the caliper out of the way.

My fronts weren't as warped as the rears but they were all warped, at 45K miles. The pads were way less than half worn. I live in the flattest area you can imagine, not a lot of stop and go traffic, don't haul a heavy trailer (some trailering and bed payloading, but nothing extreme) I don't ride my brakes, I always torque my own lugnuts and the last time the wheels were touched was at 20K miles anyway. The factory rotors are just junk. I hope the enlarged brakes on the 2005 and up trucks finally fix this problem.

Duncan
Old 04-01-2005, 04:20 PM
Senior User

BltFordTough is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the help guys. I was able to get it off by hitting the part by the lug nuts with a hammer to losen it up and then using a big bar to pry against the caliper bracket to pop it off.

Thanks again!
Old 11-22-2012, 09:54 AM
New User

Charlie77 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hi,

I'm new and while this is an old thread, thought I would toss in my 2 cents. MY 98 Explorer rear rotors were stuck as if welded. So, I asked my mechanic his trick. He chuckled and asked where I was pounding on the rotor. He said that the only place to hit which would work was on the flat part between the studs with a pretty big hammer... but don't hit the studs.

With the studs heavily on my mind I was a bit nervous about big whacks. There had to be a way to whack and protect the studs. My solution was low tech and worked nicely. What I did was cut 3 inch lengths of PVC pipe and put one over each stud. To keep the PVC from bouncing off I stuffed a small amount of paper towel in when I put them over the studs.

The PVC pipe protected the studs from both direct hits and glancing blows. In compression it's quit strong and I actually did hit one. Because the PVC is larger than the stud, a misdirected blow sends the energy to the rotor, not the stud. The PVC did not break.

And yes, I used a 4 lb hammer and heavy blows.

IT WORKED!

Dave
Old 11-22-2012, 10:05 AM
Postmaster

vloney has much to be proud ofvloney has much to be proud ofvloney has much to be proud ofvloney has much to be proud ofvloney has much to be proud ofvloney has much to be proud ofvloney has much to be proud ofvloney has much to be proud ofvloney has much to be proud ofvloney has much to be proud of
Get 2 long bolts the same thread as the caliper slide bolts. Thread them from the back side deep enough that they contact the disc to "press" the disc off.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:37 AM
New User

Charlie77 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vloney View Post
Get 2 long bolts the same thread as the caliper slide bolts. Thread them from the back side deep enough that they contact the disc to "press" the disc off.
That did not work, nor did the wheel puller nor did drilling and tapping the face of the rotor and using a steel bar on the hub tightening the bolts. The bar, 3/8 X11/2 just bent.
Dave
Old 11-22-2012, 11:29 AM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
I use a brass punch and then wack inbetween the studs. The punch is already in contact with the surface and therefore the studs are fine.

I use a 5lb hammer. Takes about three/four wacks at most.

PB blaster of course generously applied the minute the wheel comes off.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 11-22-2012, 11:54 AM
Postmaster

Firefighter 1406 has a good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a good reputation on FTE.
Put anti seize o the hub surface before re-install of the new one and you shouldnt have any problems again. Also make sure your parking brake is released since the design is dumb IMO on our trucks.
Seth "WE WILL NEVER FORGET" 343 PAA#129
Not so Early 99 F-250 Super Cab 4X4 w/7.3 stroker w/ 260,000, 6637 filter, 4" MBRP turbo back, coolant filter, zoodad, Hx, AutoMeter Guages, AIC, Leveling kit, Warn Premiums, 285 Duratrac's, Firestone Air Bags, Rancho 9000 XL's, Strobes,
www.roadsidehelpnetwork.org/
Old 11-22-2012, 12:03 PM
Posting Guru

Gevans17 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BltFordTough View Post
Hey Guys, I am working on my 2002 superduty. Working on a rear disc brake job and i cant get the dang disc's off!!! Any tips on how to do this ??

Thanks in advance.

Ryan
BETTER WAY to REMOVE ROTORS
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mtsTJCRljAs&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DmtsTJCRljAs
Old 11-22-2012, 12:03 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
brake, disc, rear, rotors, wont