Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-25-2005, 08:44 PM
Senior User

dogdude2003 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Diesel #1 Dye Filter?

Anyone ever heard of a filter that would eliminate the dye in off road diesel? Example: tank in yard, hose with filter which makes it clear on the way to nozzle, which is then placed in say...a tractor or farm equipment?

I know there was a very large thread on this subject, but I'm not sure anything was mentioned about filtering or eliminating the dye. Did I miss it?

ThanksClick the image to open in full size.

2004 F-350 Diesel Lariat Metallic Green 6.0
Lemon! Sued Ford and Won. (GONE!).

Old 03-25-2005, 10:14 PM
New User

foud is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would also be interested in this. I run farm fuel and the dye is a problem for the 6.0 liter diesel, or so i have been told. If anyone can come up with a solution, let us know.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:48 PM
More than just a Handyman

jbullfrog is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
It is illegal to run non taxed farm fuel in a road vehicle. That is why it is dyed. No, there is not a filter to "undye the fuel, that would also be illegal. It is a $100 dollar a gallon problem to get caught with red fuel in the tank of pickup.

Total Loss - '03 F250 SD Toredor Red over Arizona Beige - Crewcab, Short box, 4x4, 6 Liter Power Stroke, 5 - speed Torqueshift, SPA dual gauge (Boost over Pyrometer), Predator, B&W flip-over ball
Old 03-26-2005, 12:12 AM
Senior User

Jbullfrog: Give me the code section, making it illegal to remove red dye from #1 diesel.

And did you not read my post? There was no mention of any "road vehicle". I did, however mention tractor and farm equipment. Did you miss that?

In addition, how do you know there is no filter to undye the fuel?

The red dye has been known to clog up equipment and filters in machinery.

Last edited by dogdude2003; 03-26-2005 at 12:16 AM. Reason: grammor
Old 03-26-2005, 01:21 AM
More than just a Handyman

jbullfrog is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Sorry, I wasn't implying you had intentions to do something illegal. Here is information that should be of help.

Problems with dyed fuel are caused by the higher sulfer levels allowed in off road fuel, not the dye itself. Clear fuel has a 5 ppm sulfer content and dyed fuel can be as high as 500 ppm.

On road fuel has a low sulfur content to prevent catalytic converter damage. The sulfur will deactivate the catalyst and lead to soot clogging of the converter core. The seal shrink&swell characteristic of low sulfur fuel is different than the high sulfur fuel also. The process of producing the lower sulfur content raises the Cetane rating of the fuel, but lowers the fuel lubricity. Some engines need the higher Cetane of low sulfur fuel.

You can use undyed fuel and get the tax credited back for off road use.

Total Loss - '03 F250 SD Toredor Red over Arizona Beige - Crewcab, Short box, 4x4, 6 Liter Power Stroke, 5 - speed Torqueshift, SPA dual gauge (Boost over Pyrometer), Predator, B&W flip-over ball
Old 03-26-2005, 02:15 AM
New User

veselyc is starting off with a positive reputation.
chemicals to remove dye

they do make a chemical that removes the dye. however, dmv tests for this chemical.
Old 03-26-2005, 02:21 AM
Senior User

With all due respect and with no intention of starting a political debate on the issue...the original topic had to do with filtering out the dye.

AND I might add...
The sulfer level in the diesel has to do with emissions regulations set forth by the EPA and CARB. The dye is to distinguish types of taxable diesel for the IRS.

If red dye is found in an on road vehicle, they test for sulfer level. That's where they distinguish whether or not you are violating emissions regulations and evading tax by using a tax exempt fuel.

Bottom line: no red dye, no test for sulfer. Red dye is for taxes and sulfer is for emissions.

If the Cetane level is high enough...the engine is fine. No cat..no clog.

Last edited by dogdude2003; 03-26-2005 at 02:43 AM. Reason: !
Old 03-26-2005, 02:27 AM
Senior User

What is the chemical?

Old 03-26-2005, 03:57 PM
Got Diesel?

Beachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to all
You guys should just drop it and move on.

Call your local AG fuel supplier that supplies your farm, town, or local station and ask them. Heck, call your state's fuel taxation department and ask them?

Heck, call Ford and tell them you own a farm and wish to run dyed fuel in your 6.0L motor (off-road of couse).

Dogdude, you asked a question and got a reply then "blasted the poor guy". He was trying to help and offer advise... and you "blasted him".

Call your fuel supplier people or any of the major fuel companies and ask them... since I am sure no one here is an expert on this topic and your "blasted" the first guy to respond.

If I could close this thread I would, since it has been discussed many times before here on FTE with no "absolute answer" being given.
Dieselsite Coolant Filter
Bilstein Shocks & Steering Stabilizer
BriteBox Headlight Module / Marinco AC Block Heater Plug
Old 03-26-2005, 05:59 PM
Senior User

I didn't blast anyone. The topic had to do with a filter for the red dye...not the legal aspects of taxes, emissions, cetane levels, et al. I'm sorry if I came off that way. Perhaps the kurt response to me about how illegal it is, thus assuming I'm looking to commit a crime without really reading what I posted, should be equally scrutinized. Or maybe you (beachbum) are still looking to "gotcha" me as like you tried before with the "sportscar" thread. LOL
Nice try. hehe

As far as dropping it, I will if no one knows of a filter for eliminating the red dye...otherwise I will hold off until the chemical is found out for eliminating it or a filter comes to light.

Old 03-26-2005, 06:11 PM
Posting Guru

Daryl Hunter is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
We just got done with another series of contentious threads - we are all tired of that right now.

Be nice.

Going forward for a while, I will lock any thread that has a hint of bickering.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:11 PM

Closed Thread