6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

What does an IPR valve do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 03:58 PM
DVWoolset
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your support. I am trying not to back down. Its difficult when its one man against a large company. I wlll keep you abreast of the out come. Let me know if there is any other place I can go to get back up documentation to help with the fight. Thanks again. Dan

Old 06-29-2010, 05:05 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by DVWoolset
Thank you for your support. I am trying not to back down. Its difficult when its one man against a large company. I wlll keep you abreast of the out come. Let me know if there is any other place I can go to get back up documentation to help with the fight. Thanks again. Dan
It wouldn't happen to be at a dealership called Champion Ford in Katy, Tx.would it?? If so I have ammunition, because they SUCK

Old 06-29-2010, 05:11 PM
DVWoolset
New User
No its not. Lol. This one is in Florida.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:14 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

No its not. Lol. This one is in Florida.
AND I have friends in the 6.0 business in Florida that might be able to help depending on where you are.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:42 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
for an engine to run away it basicly has to have fuel from an outside sorce. no way its gonna happen from an ipr valve.

also before we say who is responable for damages. look at the paper work you signed when you droped it off.

what other work has been done to the truck in say the last 90 days before this happened.

things that I have seen cause this is a failed turbo charger oil seal, a torn injector o-ring, thoses are the first to that come to mind anyway.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:03 PM
DVWoolset
New User
I am in Pesacola Florida.

No work has been done to the turbo charger. I do know that oil from the turbo can cause a run away. I have had injectors replaced several times by the Dealership in Utah.
If there was a bad o-ring on one injector, would that be able to creat a run away. That would be just one cylinder. I could see if all were bad, but how does one or even two cylinders getting fuel cause a run away?

Thank you.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:11 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Originally Posted by cheezit
for an engine to run away it basicly has to have fuel from an outside sorce. no way its gonna happen from an ipr valve.
I totally agree with you, and even though oil IS a source of fuel how does HPO get into the combustion chambers???? Exactly, it doesn't.

also before we say who is responable for damages. look at the paper work you signed when you droped it off.

what other work has been done to the truck in say the last 90 days before this happened.
I realize the responsibility aspect and I've signed the paperwork myself, but that doesn't necessarily relieve the dealership of the responsibility of damage done, especially if they contend that it happened from a virtually impossible condition. There are already too many strikes against the tech's contention that the truck ran away from a stuck IPR. If his IDS laptop was data logging the truck's PCM then that should give a good start as to what went wrong either to the truck or from something the tech did........unless he erased that, which in my eyes would prove guilt.

things that I have seen cause this is a failed turbo charger oil seal, a torn injector o-ring, thoses are the first to that come to mind anyway.
Fuel sources.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:17 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

If there was a bad o-ring on one injector, would that be able to creat a run away. That would be just one cylinder. I could see if all were bad, but how does one or even two cylinders getting fuel cause a run away?

Thank you.

What happened to yours?

Old 06-29-2010, 08:27 PM
DVWoolset
New User
npccpartsman this is Dan. I was responding to cheezits comments. About the work that had been done on truck.

If there was a bad oring in the injector this would have manifested itself ealier. The reason I took it to the dealership was what I thought was lack of fuel. Am I correct.

Last edited by DVWoolset; 06-29-2010 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-29-2010, 08:41 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

lack of fuel is not as bad as to much fuel on a diesel. to much will melt a diesel down very fast.

to awnser what happens with a cut o-ring... the fuel will that passes the cut oring winds up in the engine oil, the oil level will then rise and overfill the crankcase that at somepoint give the engine a fuel sorce other then threw the injectors. My personal experance is some were around 30-35qts of deluted oil can do it.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:13 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Has anybody heard of an IPR valve sticking and causing enough oil pressure to build up and dump oil through the injectors and into the motor causing the engine to run off. Or is it even possible???
My opinion is that the tech that told you that is probably inexperienced. There would be a good chance that something catastrophic may have happened and if the tech was hooked up, he was watching the IPR trying to compensate, making him think it was the IPR that ultimately caused it. And NO, the IPR alone won't cause a runaway. I could believe injectors coming apart, flooding the crankcase with fuel, the crankshaft splashing in the overfull oil, kicking up oil into the crankcase ventilation, then into the intake.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:29 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by vloney
My opinion is that the tech that told you that is probably inexperienced. There would be a good chance that something catastrophic may have happened and if the tech was hooked up, he was watching the IPR trying to compensate, making him think it was the IPR that ultimately caused it. And NO, the IPR alone won't cause a runaway. I could believe injectors coming apart, flooding the crankcase with fuel, the crankshaft splashing in the overfull oil, kicking up oil into the crankcase ventilation, then into the intake.
this is what Im saying aswell.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:53 PM
joetech
Senior User
The owner of the last dealership I worked at told me about the 3 c,s. I don't know exactly what they are now But the first is care, cause, something. basicly saying when you hand over the keys and sign the R.O. the dealership is responsible for yuor vehile period. We had a kid crash one on a road test and it was on our insurance. That is in PA it may be differant there.
Joe

Old 06-30-2010, 10:25 PM
DVWoolset
New User
Well we will see what happens tomorrow. I met with the GM today. I have another meeting tomorrow with the GM and the service manager. We will see what they bring to the table. Let you know tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Old 12-30-2010, 02:36 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
It's been 6 months... What happened?

(I ran across this thread, reading up on IPR Valves)

Quick Reply: What does an IPR valve do?