Spare Tire Lock

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 08:43 PM
1966Lincoln
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spare Tire Lock

Greetings all,

I just upgraded from my Ranger to a '03 F150 Supercrew. Got a great deal on it!

Just one problem. I noticed in the manual, after I bought it of course, that a special key is needed to lower the spare tire. It says that its supposed to be in the glove box, but I found nada. Also missing is the card that has the key code on it.

So I went to the Ford dealer. He said there were about 50+ versions of the key made and they are all order items based on the code on the card. He can't give me any to try. So the guys at the parts counter said I'll have to drill the lock out.

Well, I don't have a 2 foot long drill bit and I've spent the last 2 hours trying to figure away to get the lock out or by-pass it. I'm totally lost.

Does anyone have a trick to getting it out without drilling???? If I have to drill, how do I get a bit all the way to the lock?

Thank you for your assistance in advance, this appears to be an excellent board for information from what I've seen.

Paul Swietek
Apache Junction, Arizona

Old 03-24-2005, 09:29 PM
MrBSS
Posting Guru
I think you can go under your truck and unbolt the whole assembly and drop everything down.

Old 03-24-2005, 09:33 PM
1966Lincoln
Freshman User
I had that thought, but the spare tire covers the entire assembly and the frame rails block the rest.

Old 03-25-2005, 05:37 PM
triton_2002
Postmaster
McGuard makes these locks. IF the previous owner sent in the registration card, they should have in on file and have the proper key for your truck and you can order another one.
http://www.mcgard.com/search/default...vID=1&NavID=10

Old 03-25-2005, 07:24 PM
kc73
Senior User
i do not think drilling will get you anywhere. just make a mess. your spare tire key snaps onto your jack handle, insert through rear bumper, through plastic funnel guide and mates with key on spare tire winch. that much you prob. know. the part that your key mates to is replacable( it pops out of it's sleeve). if you can remove the funnel and pop the part out of the sleeve you might be able to use the jack handle by itself to lower the tire. plan B: cut spare tire cable to get tire out of your way and remove the winch assembly and replace.

Old 03-26-2005, 11:42 AM
1966Lincoln
Freshman User
I have an idea, since these locks are not really locks in the true sense of the word, all they really are is screws that just screw in. I've screw extractors,but none long enough to reach 19 inches to the lock. Does anyone know of a source for extra long screw extractors?

Old 03-28-2005, 03:43 PM
rgarrett
Freshman User
call mcgard...I had same problem, they will give you the nearest dealer with a master set. there are about 20 different keys and you just have to try them. Then call mcgard back and they will send you one.

Old 05-08-2005, 05:53 PM
rapidag
New User
Hey 1966. Did you ever get your key? I found out I don't have one either. Had to take the wheel to a shop then return with it. What a pain...

Thanks,

MW

Old 05-09-2005, 09:54 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
First use a flashlight and look down the tube to make sure the previous owner didnt leave it in there. Then find a dealer that isn't lazy, (service department), and ask them to get the master kit out. I bought mine without the key from a private party, went to a local dealer here and it took all of 10 minutes to get the right one. The master kit has 12 different keys. Then it cost me $17.00 for a new one. They ordered it from the manufact. of the winch lock thing. Took 4 days to come in. For them to say you have to drill it out is ridiculous. Either they haven't had to deal with it before or they just don't know how, or they don't care and take the hard way around. You can call you service departments and ask them if they have the master kit before going though. Will save alot of time.

Old 05-09-2005, 11:26 AM
rapidag
New User
I took a look with a flashlight, yup, there's a lock in there. I will try to find a dealer to help. When I called to Ford dealers on Saturday from the side of the road they were not inclined to help. Maybe going and talking to the parts guy will help...

Thanks,

Mike

Old 05-09-2005, 11:31 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

The service people will probably be the ones to bring out the kit and try them til they find the right one, then you will get the number and order from parts...unless the parts people are willing to get the kit and try it themselves

Old 05-09-2005, 09:41 PM
1966Lincoln
Freshman User
McGard pointed me to a Lincoln-Mercury dealer that had the set of 12 keys. None of the Ford dealers by me had them or had a clue what I was talking about. I ran into one problem. Either the previous owner or the Dodge dealer I bought my truck from tried the drilling method. I think it was the Dodge dealer trying to get the tire down to inspect it for sale etc. So the lock had some damage to it. So ended up having to cut the cable anyways with my dremel tool and purchased a new unit....a unit that doesn't need a lock so that I don't go through this hassle again if I get stuck in the woods.

Old 05-11-2005, 02:09 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Oh that sucks. Sorry to hear that but at least now you can get to it if you need it.

Old 06-16-2006, 12:30 PM
Bob Fishkiller
New User
Spare Tire Lock

I may have an inexpensive solution to this problem.

As per McGards instructions, I first tried to locate a dealer with a master key set. Nobody in my area will admit to having them. Lots of dealers were willing to do one of two things: either cut the cable and replace the whole winch a$$embly or attempt to drill out the lock (then what?)

I called McGard back. They said if I sent in an impression of the lock, they would be able to match the impression with the correct key. McGard suggested using a Styrofoam cup to make the impression. I thought that even if I could get a piece of foam all the way down the guide tube, I would have a slim chance of getting the foam back out in one piece.

Instead, I used some plumber's putty since it has such a fine texture (the plumber's putty is used for sealing around sink drains.) I stuffed a 1" ball of the putty into one end of a 3/4" copper pipe. A 2' section of pipe should be enough to get the job done. The putty was then scraped smooth and flush with the end of the pipe. I carefully slid the pipe into the guide tube behind the bumper. When I felt the pipe come in contact with the lock, I pressed it in another 1/4" while being careful to not turn the pipe. When I pulled the pipe back, there was a very clean impression of the lock pattern. To make shipping easy, I then used a tubing cutter to cut a 1" section from the end of the pipe with the putty. I figure sending the putty with the small section of pipe around it will protect the impression while going through the mail. I then made a second sample, just in case. The two samples were then placed in a block of Styrofoam to prevent damage to the imprint.

As I write this, the samples are in the mail on their way to McGard. Hopefully, they will make the match with no problem. If they are not able to make the match, I will update this post.

Old 06-16-2006, 01:13 PM
Parts Guy Wyatt
Former Vendor
Here is a picture so you know what you are up against. You should be able to drill it out. Ed

Last edited by IB Tim; 07-07-2006 at 07:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Spare Tire Lock