Need Info On 292 V8

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 06:54 PM
floor_sleeper
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Info On 292 V8

i just got a 1964 ford f100 reg cab longbed from my dad and he told me it had a 292 and i had never heard of a 292 before and no one i know knows anything about them - if anyone out there knows anything and are willing to share some knowledge, im all ears
Much Obliged,
John

Old 03-21-2005, 07:08 PM
TheWiz427
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
moved to proper forum.

Old 03-21-2005, 10:33 PM
GLASSPACK
Freshman User
Smile

What do you want to know? You have chosen a good place to start as there are lots of knowledgeable people here.

The 292 is part of a family of engines known as Y Blocks. They came after the Flathead and before the Windsor family. They are good durable motors and provide good torque. They have been used in T-Birds, Crown Vic's, pickups, and heavy duty trucks. Their was even a supercharged version which produced well in excess of 300 hp in 1957 I think.

Ask some specific questions. There are plenty of users who can provide you with a lot of detail. Enjoy the truck. If it is an original motor, chances are it leaks oil at the rear main seal. Don't worry it is a common problem and can be fixed with a modern neoprene gasket.

Old 03-21-2005, 10:51 PM
46yblock
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The book "Ford Y-Block" by James Eichman is a good starting point for a y-block reference. The website www.ford-y-block.com is also a very good reference you will probably refer to often.
Y's (excepting Lincoln Y's) debuted in 1954. Versions of 239, 256, 272, 292, and 312 were produced. They reached their peak in terms of performance in 1957. After that they were gradually detuned, getting progressively less in the horsepower realm as Ford was pushing its newer engine. The last car Y was in 1962. The last Y in trucks was 1964. Brazilian Fords used y-blocks quite a while after 1964. There is a magazine called "Y-Block Magazine" that comes out every other month for enthusiasts.
The term Y-block comes from the longer than normal cylinder skirts, with the block dimensions extending significantly below the crankshaft centerline. They also only came with solid lifters.
Take a look through this forum and you can find a lot more information.

Last edited by 46yblock; 03-21-2005 at 11:49 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:14 PM
floor_sleeper
New User
well, i got the truck from my dad, and he said that it is the second 292 he has put in it. he didnt have alot of money, and needed the truck so he put a very high mileage 292 in from the salvage yard, and he ran it till it was on its last leg (a few years later) and then put the current 292 in it which was out of a later model ford it it and it had low miles. he drove it for another five years or so, and got him a new pickup. it had been sitting for a number of years until recently i got it and got it running (which consisted of plugs, wires, cap, rotor, 2 wheel seals, all new fluids and a cleaning) i want it to be a pickup to use while i restore it to factory condition, which i suspect will take a while with money being as tight as it is due to my 9 month old twin boys. from what i can tell, it doesnt leak any fluids, but i only start it up and let it run every two weeks or so until i get the title and tag it. i cant believe that thing always fires right up and it took so little to get it running after sitting for so long. it has an oil bath air cleaner - should i be advised to put a normal one on? what are some maintainence reccomendations? anything special i should know? not only about the motor, but the drivetrain and chassis also? im not completely clueless, but am not all that familiar with this motor or old fords. let me know.

p.s. - everyone on this site has helped me immensely. thanks for everyones help

Much Obliged,
John

Old 03-23-2005, 09:08 PM
286merc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go here for some history. http://www.ford-y-block.com/enginepa.htm

As you have already discovered the Y family is an extremely rugged engine. My 54 F350 had only 53K on the original 239 when I got it 5 yrs ago. Sat for 20 years. Did the same as you and then rebuilt the leaky carb and fuel pump. Beat the hell out of it with never a problem until I upgraded to a warmed up 292.