1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Fresh engine....no oil pressure

Old 03-20-2005, 02:12 PM
frb9883
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fresh engine....no oil pressure

I just finihsed a rebuild of a '51 8BA. It's basically stock with a 4" Merc crank. I added an oil filter system from Motor City Flathead. I'm using Frank Oddo's book as a guide. When I tried to build oil pressure by removing the spark plugs and turning the engine over with the starter I couldn't get oil pressure. Finally I removed the fitting at the pan and cranked the engine. Oil came out of the line but not a solid stream. Just little spurts of oil/air. I am afraid to crank it too much as the bearing surfaces are only coated with assembly lube. Any suggestions? I have removed the engine and the pan. All lines are straight, not kinked and the pick-up tube is open. I'm thinking the starter does not turn the oil pump fast enough to build oil pressure.
Any help woud be appreciated,
Frank

Old 03-20-2005, 04:05 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Makes it tough when you can't spin the pump to build pressure prior to startup. Are you sure the oil filter housing was full and not filling and pushing air through the system.

Old 03-20-2005, 10:22 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
You may have a faulty oil pump

Last edited by imlowr2; 03-20-2005 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:36 AM
frb9883
Freshman User
The filter was full. I have had a response that I shouldn't pre-fill the filter it causes a hydraulic lock. I'm going to try to prime the system with air prressure and fill the pump body with Lubriplate.

Old 03-21-2005, 02:42 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 331 Likes on 255 Posts
Frank, did you find the link I left under the flatheads forum?

Old 03-21-2005, 05:45 PM
frb9883
Freshman User
Yes I did. It made sense. I've since put in a call to Motor City Flathead to see what they may be able to add. I had lost their phone number and got it from the link you sent. I'm hoping all that is needed is to reinstall the engine with an empty oil filter.

Old 03-21-2005, 09:00 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
frb9883, when you have time could you give my a breakdown on your Flathead rebuild. what engine, what's been done(machine work ect), parts used, cost of the rebuild. I'm just intrested in what the average dollar amount is, that's being spent on Flathead rebuilds today. And what's being done on them. A lot of guys are saying the average person goes through several cores before finding a good builder. I'm trying to decide if its worth it to stay with a Flatmotor or just toss in a 302/351.

Thanks Rod

Old 03-24-2005, 05:43 PM
frb9883
Freshman User
What is the best way to contact you? You can contact me @ fmblakemore@tds.net

Old 03-24-2005, 09:04 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 602 Likes on 374 Posts
The decision to stay flat or not isn't an entirely rational one. If you are staying original, of course, that's one thing. If you look at it on a $/HP basis, there are cheaper ways to go than a hot flatty. But you don't have to spend a lot to have a nice running flatty unless you're shooting for the stars, HP-wise. They sound neat, they're a fascinating piece of history, and they fit with no alterations! I love mine, but I can understand the temptation to throw in a handy 302, 351, 350, or even a big block...

To answer your question directly, a flatty rebuild is only about 25% more than rebuilding a typical OHV engine, but it's harder to find a shop that can do quality work on them. Valve work is the big-ticket item, compared to a OHV engine. As far as cracks, some are common and benign, others are fatal (if the engine froze, especially). Almost all deck cracks can be dealt with (for more $). Mine has only one, between a bolt hole and the water jacket. My guess, as little as $800 (no boring or pistons), $1200 average, $2400 whole enchilada (boring, pistons, balancing, a couple valve seats, no crack repair, new cam bearings, new cam, adjustable lifters, a valve grind).

Flat forever, Ross

Old 03-24-2005, 10:27 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
The decision to stay flat or not isn't an entirely rational one. If you are staying original, of course, that's one thing. If you look at it on a $/HP basis, there are cheaper ways to go than a hot flatty. But you don't have to spend a lot to have a nice running flatty unless you're shooting for the stars, HP-wise. They sound neat, they're a fascinating piece of history, and they fit with no alterations! I love mine, but I can understand the temptation to throw in a handy 302, 351, 350, or even a big block...

To answer your question directly, a flatty rebuild is only about 25% more than rebuilding a typical OHV engine, but it's harder to find a shop that can do quality work on them. Valve work is the big-ticket item, compared to a OHV engine. As far as cracks, some are common and benign, others are fatal (if the engine froze, especially). Almost all deck cracks can be dealt with (for more $). Mine has only one, between a bolt hole and the water jacket. My guess, as little as $800 (no boring or pistons), $1200 average, $2400 whole enchilada (boring, pistons, balancing, a couple valve seats, no crack repair, new cam bearings, new cam, adjustable lifters, a valve grind).

Flat forever, Ross
Thanks Ross for the information, do you know what kind of horsepower and torque figures those Flatheads average nowadays.

Search this Thread