Texas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: LibTimothy

Need some advice...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 01:30 AM
letgomyeggoman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some advice...

Hello all, I currently have a 2000 Ford Ranger ext. cab XLT...I bought it used with about 56,000 miles. I have put about 30k on it and I am currently looking for another truck of the same type. The only differences I want with the new truck is crew cab and 4wd. I love the Ford Ranger but I hate having to access the rear doors from the inside. I have been looking at the 2005 Colorado/Canyon and I love the way they look, but have been reading many negative feedbacks about them. I have looked at the Tacoma and even the new Honda Ridgeline and Frontier. I would prefer not to purchase a foreign truck but I may not have a choice. Please give me any advice you can guiding me to what truck would be best. I have driven Fords all my life and I love them and I cant afforda new model full size truck fitting my requirements. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Old 03-20-2005, 07:49 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! Please read the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand this site.
Stick around someone will be by shortly to answer your question.
We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 03-20-2005, 10:27 PM
TxBrokenarrow
Senior User
i can't help on this ...you may want to try the (general automotive forum) to get your question out to more people...i think they have subjects like this one over there...
welcome

Old 03-22-2005, 09:14 PM
gotdiesel
Senior User
how about a explorer sport trac. crew cab and 4x4. just a thought. you might atleast look and test drive one before you give up on ford. just a thought good luck and let us know

Old 03-23-2005, 12:46 AM
Munkey
Fleet Mechanic
First off, I can understand the want for a Crew Cab, they're damn nifty to have. Are you going to be carrying people in the back frequently? If you are, you really need to take a look at the rear seats in these 'medium' trucks. My uncle is on his 2nd SportTrac (damn fine vehicles!) and the rear seats are fine for tooling around town, but after a 4 hour highway trip your back is begging for mercy. But then again it could be because I'm 6'1" and sucking on my kneecaps in the back seat of almost any vehicle I'm in.

Now about the want for 4x4, again, I can understand the need for it, being stuck one time in a 2wd truck will convert you to a 4x4 owner for life. How much are you planning to use 4wd? Only in snowy weather (if you get snow where you are), getting to that remote hunting or fishing spot, or are you going to go bananas and thrash it off-roading?

Let me give you my opinion on the trucks you have listed (and it's only MY opinion so it may not fly with everyone elses, but thats OK!)

Honda Ridgeline - Is it really a truck? Or is it a front-wheel drive minivan with a teeny tiny bed cut into it?

Chevy/GMC Colorado/Canyon - Bleeeeccchhhh, looks like something an Avalanche barfed up after a long night of drinking cheap beer and eating chicken wings.

Nissan Frontier - Not a bad little bugger, wonder if you can get a CC in the 'Nismo Offroad' package.

Toyota Tacoma - This was actually going to be my 2nd choice if the deal on my current truck didn't go through when I was buying it. Very good little trucks, excellent build quality (Nissans are pretty good too!) and great off-road features.

There is one truck that you didn't mention, the Dodge Dakota. I don't know how the new bodystyle Dakotas hold up, but the older style always caught my eye.

Good luck and let is know what you decided on!!

Old 03-23-2005, 04:24 AM
rfxj3
Senior User
OH Lord... let me chime in on that last comment about the Dakotas. Now I know some very happy full size Dodge owners and haven't heard as many complaints about the newer body style Dakotas but as a previous owner of the old style Dakota (pre'96 I think - mine was a '95), I can tell you that they are peices of crap! Transmission waited for the 36K warranty to expire and 2K miles later threw up all over itself. Had to go to battle with Dodge corporate over that one. Interior electronics, ie PW, PL, etc... functioned randomly if at all. Many other little annoying problems. Anyway, I try and warn everyone off that particular model whenever possible.

Old 03-23-2005, 08:53 AM
Munkey
Fleet Mechanic
Oh yes I've heard stories about the OLD old bodystyle Dakotas, I was referring to the 1st. gen. 'Durango' Dakotas.