6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Turbo bucking/grinding, faulty EGR valve?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 03:59 PM
cruzurr
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo bucking/grinding, faulty EGR valve?

2005 6.0 PSD F-250 is my first "turbo" diesel and I have what appears to be a similar problem to what I found searching the forum archives, turbo bucking and a faulty EGR valve. HOWEVER, my symptoms happen only between 50 and 60 mph with approx. 15-20 PSI of boost. What happens is the bucking/grinding sensation begins, and the boost gauge shows the turbo pressure fluctuating +/- 5 lbs. This typically occurs ONLY under load either on an incline or when pulling my 5th wheel between 50 - 60 MPH. If I kick in or back off on the accelerator it stops bucking and the grinding noise goes away immediately.

Initially the dealer replaced the EGR valve as indicated by the OBD and this seemed to help, in fact I thought it was totally cured. But within a week or so I noticed the bucking and grinding again. Not nearly as bad as before but nonetheless still there. Is it possible that the "new" EGR valve failed that quickly? Or, is there some other cause of this I should be asking the dealer to address. I have 18,300 miles on it and its a Ca. vehicle. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-19-2005, 04:04 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I believe it is a software problem. Supposedly there is a new program available as of recent, which I will be trying as soon as I can get there to Ford. For now, you may choose to unplug the EGR to eliminate the problem.

Old 03-19-2005, 07:36 PM
Cowboy Brett
Elder User
The EGR has been known to cause troubles in 03s and 04s, but I heard the 05s are supposed to be improved and have heard the same thing that olfordsnstone did about a new flash to fix the EGR strategy (yet again).

Lots of goofy problems on these trucks are due to an improper oil level. I'd check the oil after letting it sit for a good long while and see if it's overfilled. You've got to wait a while according to the Owner's Manual/6.0L Supplement. I don't know if you've read about that on here too, but it's no joke. Folks can't seem to get all 15 quarts out every time, then they put the full 15 in, so each time the oil creeps up by a quart over full. The reason the oil level is an issue is that if the level in the sump gets high enough, the bottom of the crankshaft starts to slap the surface of the oil, which foams it up. If the high-pressure injector oil pump sucks in any foam, it'll go up into the high-pressure oil rail servicing the injectors. The foaming causes an unstable pressure in the injector, which causes uneven fuel delivery. Just and FYI for you.

You could well have an EGR problem, particularly if you have it idle a lot and use lower quality fuel. I just wanted to make sure you saw this as well, because engine oil in these engines is not just for lubricating the vital components.

Old 03-19-2005, 09:14 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
I think the problem described here is one that is common in the 05's. It really isn't any more than annoying, and only occurs on slight inclines at around 60 mph. I have found that a disconnect of the egr will remedy the problem until Ford comes up with the software fix. I feel that it would be a good idea to reconnect it before going in for Ford Service, just in case they are looking for an excuse to mess with your warranty. My egr is connected as it doesn't bother me to just accellerate to stop the symptom. I will be going in for the new flash to see if it fixes it this time. Trust me, if this is the same problem I have experienced, and I am sure it is, a simple disconnect of the egr will make it go away. There are instructions on how to reset the computer to clear the codes at the top of this forum that you can go to for guidance. The main thing is when you reconnect the egr, to clear the code, disconnect the batteries for a few minutes, then reconnect and the code for the egr disconnect will be vanished.

Old 03-19-2005, 10:17 PM
cruzurr
New User
Thanks guys and I'll keep my eyes and ears open for the software fix. I agree olfordsnstone, its more of an annoyance than anything else but my concern is or atleast was... that it would grow into something more serious over time and just about the day after my warranty expires the turbo freezes or blows up on me

A related question... does Ford acknowledge "known" problems like this one and publish that fact anywhere e.g. an online bulletin that consumers can access? With maybe even a fix on the way statement so the customer knows what to ask the dealer for specifically?

Old 03-19-2005, 10:46 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
The dealership in Carson City Nevada is aware of the problem. When I first reported my complaint to them they thought I was talking about the "turbo fart" thing that is completely normal when letting off of the accellerator. I tried to explain that it was a separate issue but could not replicate it on the mountain road behind the dealership. Finally, other customers complained about it and it was later acknowledged by Ford R&D. To my knowledge, they are working on the software fix and I am confident that they will come up with one before long. The 7.3 had problems when first introduced and I would not expect anything else from any new design. Dont fret, it'll be taken care of. I would suggest that you take your truck to a Ford Dealership that has a good diesel mechanic and report the issue to them. At least that way it is documented that the problem exsists. My dealerships mechanic is full aware and just volunteered that he had a brand new flash that he wants to try to see if it makes a difference. He is working with me to remedy the problem permanently. The good intent of this shop foreman is what helps me to feel better about this little annoyance. Like I said before, if it bothers ya, you can try and disconnect the egr plug to see if it in fact does clear up the miss. I think it will. It is just up to you whether you want to run without the egr or not until a software fix is available. I have read on this forum that some dealerships might not be concerned that your egr is disconnected. I suppose you could ask your dealership if they would have a problem with you disconnecting the egr to see if it stops the problem. Or you could just do it on the sly.....or.....Your choice. It might be worth a try just so you can make sure it is in fact the same problem.
Good Luck, Tim

Old 03-19-2005, 11:55 PM
Paclik
Senior User
This turbo fart sound, I just had a new flash done and I am now getting a sound like a piece of sheetmetal caught in the wheelwell and scraping and grinding like crazy. This happens when I let off the throttle 55 to 60mph and sometimes when it upshifts.
04 F350 6.0 Auto cc lb