2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood Shake

Old 03-18-2005, 08:31 AM
rsjohns2
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hood Shake

I made a trip to Atlanta and back this week and I noticed that anything above 70mph the hood shakes pretty bad. I stopped 3 different times to make sure the hood was closed. Has anyone else experienced this? It looks as though the hood is going to end up in the windshield!

Old 03-18-2005, 08:44 AM
toypuller
Senior User
I believe there is a TSB for that condition. I also seem to remember that it can be caused by certain aftermarket bug deflectors. Do you have one?

It seemed to be a common problem a few months back but I have not seen it mentioned recently.

Old 03-18-2005, 08:49 AM
rsjohns2
Junior User
Thanks Toy, she is completely stock with the exception of a new exhaust. I hope that isn't the cause of the hood shake I will do a search and see if I can find a TSB.

Old 03-18-2005, 02:29 PM
yardbird
Cargo Master
Received 473 Likes on 313 Posts
Here is one TSB, there may be another one by now.

TSB 04-18-8 HOOD FLUTTER AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS

ISSUE:

Some 2004 F-150 vehilcle may exibit hood movement at the back of the hood due to high air turbulence, while driving at highway speeds. This condition may be amplified by the installation of an accessory bugshield and may be more pronounced when passing an on-coming vehicle on a two lane road.

ACTION:

Refer to the following Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE:

Confirm that the hood is flush with the front fenders at each front corner. I the hood is under-flush, adjust the hood stops to raise the hood flush with the tops of the front fenders. Check the amount of drag at the rear hood to cowl seal with a piece of paper. Place a piece of paper between the seal and hood, close the hood and then slowly pull the paper out. It there is sufficient drag, indicating good seal to hood contact, return the vehicle to the customer. If there is little to no drag, obtain locally a piece of fuel hose147cm long& 11mm diameter( 58" long & 3/16" diameter). Lube the hose with a soap-based solution and install the hose inside the hood seal bulb.

Here is a link to a hood shake thread:

http://www.fordtrucks.com/forums/sho...ght=hood+shake

Old 03-18-2005, 04:12 PM
rsjohns2
Junior User
Thanks YardBird!!

Old 03-19-2005, 12:28 AM
Missouri Mule
Junior User
Originally Posted by toypuller
I believe there is a TSB for that condition. I also seem to remember that it can be caused by certain aftermarket bug deflectors. Do you have one?

It seemed to be a common problem a few months back but I have not seen it mentioned recently.
That will definitely cause a hood vibration. Last bug deflector I ever put on a truck. I'll leave the truck the way the engineers decided.

Old 03-19-2005, 06:47 AM
kingfish51
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Missouri Mule
That will definitely cause a hood vibration. Last bug deflector I ever put on a truck. I'll leave the truck the way the engineers decided.
You can get them not to shake. I originally had the problem and after messing around quite a while I basically did the TSB myself. That was before the TSB came out. Lucked out and found that the setup at the front of the hood wasn't quite right, even though it looked fine. After I did the adjustments, no hood shake. This was even up to the speed limiter.
This was all with Ford's low profile.

Old 03-19-2005, 08:22 PM
PhrEEkSh0w
Senior User
It has more to do with the alignment of the hood and/or the rear seal. The deflector will just make the problem worse.

I have the Ford High Profile deflector with no problems.

Search this Thread