Sweet new gun!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 10:39 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sweet new gun!

I have such a permagrin.

This gun is sweet. Its a Ruger GP100, Double Action .357 Magnum, 6" Blued CrMo steel barrel. I just got it today... tomorrow I'm gonna shoot the pis out of it. I got a couple hundred rounds of .357 Mag, I probably won't be able to type when I get done, but rest assured I'll let you guys know how she shoots.

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/P-Cate...volversDA.html

Old 02-10-2005, 11:17 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

Ruger has always made great handguns and the GP100 has always impressed me. Looking forward to hear your report. If you decide you don't like it, just box it up and send it this way.

Old 02-10-2005, 11:25 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
I've been wanting this one for about 10 months now. Just had to wait until the stores had it in stock, and that I was gonna get a good deal. I paid $350, plus $43 in ammo. My dad had to buy it though... no big deal.

I wish they would let you get the ammo for it before you were 21 though. The only reason I got it now was because I was fearing a price increase from the new models coming in. When you buy a new ruger pistol, you get the case from the test firing. Mine says it was test fired on 9-11-01. I'm not sure if it signed buy the guy that test fired it or if its the guy that built the gun.

Old 02-11-2005, 02:46 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
I'd call it interesting. It patterns pretty well, about 2 inches at 10 yards with open sites. I can't seem to get it lined up quite right, the sites might need some tweaking. They don't seem to adjust very well.

I shot about 100 rounds through it today. It shoots great. The gun itself absorbs a lot of recoil, just from the shape and style of the grips. I was shooting .357Mag 158gr Semi Jacketed Soft Points and dug a couple slugs out of the ground to put with my test brass.

I love this revolver... I know you wanted me to send it to ya Dick, but if you ever make it to Billings, we'll do some shootin'.

Old 02-12-2005, 10:46 AM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Know what I'd do with that .357? I've never been super fond of standard sites on most handguns, but have just delt with them over the years. I've found that as I age and my eyesite deteriorates, I've discovered that those tactical red dot type scopes are really the best wy to go on your hand gun. Only problem is the carrying of them. I'm not at home right now, but I have a really nice red dot that I'm going to put back on one of my 10-22's for plinking. I'll get the name of it for you if you like. Its a good scope and not as expensive as the Holosite, by a ong shot. And the hollosite has a huge dot. This site has a selection of 4 different dots, cross hairs, etc, and is also easily seen in daylight. I think you'd like it.

Old 02-12-2005, 07:38 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
I'm probably going to to get a quick detach red dot site, so I can use the factory sites for putting down deer etc, and clip it back on for pretty reasonable accuracy when hunting or long range plinking.

THe gun is incredibly accurate at long range, just close range on paper is kinda dissappointing, although, I am shooting offhand and it was pretty windy. As soon as I get dinner down me, I'm gonna go look at a press and scale... I can't afford to feed my new toy.

Old 02-12-2005, 08:15 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

I don't have a reloading outfit, so I go to gun shows and buy the reloaded cheapo stuff there for my plinking and can killing expiditions. If I remember, I'll get you a link to the guy where I bought my red dot site and let you check it out. I think you'd like it ... it's easy to mount or take off... and very quick to sight in. I'm at work for another hour, so .. if my half-heimers allows, I'll get on it when I get home.

Old 02-13-2005, 10:27 AM
Matts72
Post Fiend
I ended up with an RCBS Partner press, 505 Scale, Hand primer (worth every penny), and case lube kit.

They only make, or I was only able to get the carbide dies in .357 Magnum, they say they don't need lube, but thats a big fat lie... I'm fairly certain that you will crush straight wall cases with no lube in the carbide dies. I didn't want to buy anything but RCBS, and the partner press is perfect, less than $55, light, O Block design, and fits every cartridge out there... except the .50 BMG.

Reloading is pretty easy, I'm considering doing it to make a little money back on my investment. I'm not that rich, I've been saving for four months to get the pistol.

Old 03-06-2005, 08:42 PM
MontanaFord
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm hoping to find a .44 mag by this bow season, for a pack gun when i'm bowhunting, as i elk hunt a lot of grizzly country....ain't interested in trying to put down a 400# tooth and claw beast on the run with a recurve bow...rather be punchin holes with 400 grains of lead...at least that might slow it down....

MontanaFord

Old 03-09-2005, 07:32 AM
SLE
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That sounds like a nice pistol. How long is the barrel on that thing. I was out shooting one of my buddies revolvers (.357) and without ear plugs I damn near went deaf. I found it to be a joy shooting my Browning Buckmark .22 after shooting his cannon. Neat gun non the less and obviously theres nothing quite like the feeling of squeezing the trigger on a large bore pistol.

I don't want to steel any thunder but I finally picked up my new Benneli SBE II on saturday. Of course I had to buy a box of clays and do some shooting on sunday. I'll never sell my BPS but this Benneli is absulutly awsome. It has very little recoil even when I shot a few 1 5/8oz 4 shot shells. The action on it is just sweet. I would recomend this gun to any of you guys that bird hunt on a weekly basis. They are pretty spendy but worth every penny if your willing to take care of them and use them enough.

On a side note I can completely break it down in less than 15 seconds. makes cleaning a peice of cake. I'm good at doing my browing BPS but thats not a 5 minute job. Have fun with your new gun.