Sponsored by:

How the factory tranny cooler installs in a 1990

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 05:22 PM
JBronco
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How the factory tranny cooler installs in a 1990

It turns out that my truck has every part of the tow package except for the auxiliary transmission cooler. Today at the boneyard I saw a Bronco with the auxilliary trans cooler. It was mounted in front of the condenser on the right side and had two lines going straight down and under. As the truck would probably have to be jacked up and put on a stand for me to get down there, I could not see what was happening with the lines once they dropped out of site.

The truck was an 89, I have a 90. I have an E40D, the 89 could possibly have an AOD or even C6. I doubt that it has a C6, and hopefully it is an E4OD. First question - is this smaller auxilliary cooler working in conjunction with the lines that already go through the radiator, so it is an extra cooler? Second, what do the lines do when they go under, and how are the connected to the trans? Would my E4OD have a couple of places to connect the lines that would be blocked off if the cooler wasn't there? And if the 89 has an AOD, will the tranny cooler work with my E4OD?

I don't imagine that the auxilliary cooler would really wear out unless it got a hole punctured in it. I could probably get the cooler, lines, and all of the hardware needed to attach it to my truck for about $10. So the price is good, and there is already a location to mount it.

One final question - if I can put it on my truck, how much extra trans fluid will I need to put in? I do not want to overfill it, but this would be a great time to add some Trick Shift or Lucas to the tranny without dropping the pan.

THX!

Old 03-17-2005, 05:51 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The auxilary cooler is run in "series" with the cooler built into the radiator. The steel lines come up from the tranny. The upper line runs directly to the upper port on the radiator then from the lower port on the radiator to one barb on the auxilary cooler and finally the return line runs back to the transmission from the other barb on the cooler. You only need the two lines from the tranny. You can splice off to the auxilary cooler with rubber fuel line and clamps or threaded hose fittings. It won't matter which transmission you have either. Auxilary coolers can be added to any automatic in this manner. (They can be added to the oiling system for the engine too for additional oil cooling).

As for the amount of additional fluid, its going to be minimal. Suggestion would be to install the auxilary cooler and get everything up to operating temp and check the level at the tranny dipstick like you normally would. We arent' talking about enough change in fluid level to cause any harm to the transmission in the meantime.

Last edited by greystreak92; 03-17-2005 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:59 PM
body9599
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can only answer one of your questions. The aux cooler is supplemental to the radiator cooling. On my 89 the lines from the transmission (AOD) go through the radiator, extra cooler, and then back to the tranny. Check out my gallery, try and get the heavy duty cooler from an F-250/350. It's about twice the size of the one that came with my truck. Sorry I can't help with the other questions. Seems that you could just cut and re-route one of the lines coming out of the radiator and splice the extra cooler inline. I'm sure other people will bring up the aftermarket option as well. Good luck.

Old 03-17-2005, 06:42 PM
JBronco
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by greystreak92
It won't matter which transmission you have either. Auxilary coolers can be added to any automatic in this manner.
I phrased that question wrong - what I meant was if the lines that come off of the auxiliary cooler that I found were the same, to tie into the stock system, wherever that was. And maybe the AOD's lines ran differently. I know that I could run new lines but if I can get the factory ones for a direct fit that would be better. Also, if the lines are the same diameter. I would not want a restriction. But you guys got it cleared up for me, I'll yank that cooler and lines next time I go to the boneyard.