The sad future of our gasoline vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 01:55 PM
I6power
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The sad future of our gasoline vehicles

I cant stop thinking about it. Im pretty young (19) and i want to rebuild old cars when im older. I already drive a '78 and ive done extensive work on it. But the problem is gas. I heard from a friend that you could only buy $100 worth of gas at once at the station (here in FL). This problem is most likely only going to get worse. My dad tells me of back in the day when they had the big blocks that drank a lot of gas but you could actually afford to keep it. You can already see the ultimate doom: 1 $100 limit per purchase of gasoline 2 rising gas prices 3 mass market of economy cars 4 market rising for hybrid cars. I can see the day where im talking to my friends saying how i had to drive to several different gas stations in one day just to fill my tank cause of the gas limits. And id just be one of the every 3 out of 10 people that drives gas powered cars. Call me crazy but its gonna happen one day. What do you think?

Old 03-17-2005, 02:06 PM
D-ranged2.5
Senior User
What do you drive that you can fit so many gallons of gas into your vehicle??? If you're concerned about the limit, treat half-full as empty and fill up whenever you get to that point. As far as economy and hybrid vehicles go... they're a niche product. As we get better at making them seem more like pure ICE, the niche will grow, but a lot of people out there don't want that. Too much money to service (not worth the gas savings!), don't accelerate quite as fast... much of the time they look funny and economy cars like the Aveo and Geo etc. are just so small it's scary! Gas isn't so bad... I suspect the oil-sellers to expect and want all of America to cringe and panic at the rise in gas prices... you can't expect something to stay the same price forever... Chocolate chips went up from $1.89 to $2.24 the other day... and that was just for 12oz! They went back down, strangely... but still... moral is, prices change, we just train ourselves to notice and become alarmed when it's something we need (gasoline, college tuition, insurance) and not something we only want (candy, pop, frivolous purchases of any other kind). My advice... just chill!

Old 03-17-2005, 02:13 PM
JerseysBest
Senior User
technically, oil is a renewable resource, but not at the rate we use it. So, of course the price is gonna go up.

Old 03-17-2005, 02:16 PM
fordfan302
More Turbo
Originally Posted by JerseysBest
technically, oil is a renewable resource, but not at the rate we use it. So, of course the price is gonna go up.
so what your saying is that technically we can never run out of gas???

Old 03-17-2005, 02:42 PM
pitrow
Elder User
technically yes and no.

Gas is made from crude oil which is made from decomposing animal remains from eons ago. So as long as animals are still dying on this earth, oil will still be being made. The problems is it takes centurys and centurys for the oil to be made, and we are using it faster than it is being replaced. If we keep using it at the current rates we will soon run out of it. More is being made even as we speak, but the amounts are so low being compared to what we need to sustain life as we know it, that in effect, yes we will run out of oil.

Old 03-17-2005, 03:07 PM
FLgargoyle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You'll be buying that new, gee-whiz battery pack for your car, rather than a new intake manifold. Of course, once we are all humming around in our electric cars, they're gonna have to generate a lot more electricity to charge them every day! I plan to be gone by then.

Old 03-17-2005, 03:09 PM
fordfan302
More Turbo
well cant propane gas be used in regular internal combustion engines???? if so thats always an alternative

Old 03-17-2005, 03:26 PM
ddrumman2004
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Propane ain't that cheap anymore.....although still cheaper than gasoline. I paid 1.69 a gallon for propane here a while back. You can bet as gas goes up, so will everything else that depends on crude oil for manufacture

Old 03-17-2005, 03:33 PM
fordtrucklover94
Elder User
We can come up with synthetic oils, can't they do some sort of synthetic gas? Not saying that would be cheaper, but it would cut back on our use of natural resources, driving the price down a little bit for both, it's all supply and demand, I don't think that we are really in an oil crisis, I mean, yes, we are depleting the resources quickly, but A, it's a renewable resource, B, they realize we are so dependent on gas/fuel and can raise the price to make more money. I don't know a lot about the whole situation, I did last year, as a High school student, but I'm so busy with college and work, I can't keep up with it all, It may not be how I see it, but this is just my opinion.

Old 03-17-2005, 04:14 PM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
Gas prices are based purely on greed. Arguments can be made about politics, world affairs, oil costs, etc. The only problem is that the cost of fuel does not change in proportion to the cost of oil.

I noticed yesterday that the Senate voted to open up the Alaskan wildlife refuge to oil drilling. That should ease prices a lot, but I bet it doesn't make much difference at all.

Old 03-17-2005, 04:19 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Moved to alternative fuels. Watch the politics here.

Old 03-18-2005, 06:59 AM
ponytruck
New User
Smile ww2

hitlers whole army ran on sentihic gas because they didn't have enough of their own gas to supply them why can't we just do the same...

Old 03-18-2005, 09:56 AM
jiveturkey692000
Tuned
Yeah, but how did they make it, what were the ingredients?

Old 03-18-2005, 01:15 PM
tdister
Posting Guru
Old 03-18-2005, 02:32 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
So I just fire up the ol' ethanol fuel still, pop some high compression pistons in my motor, and go. In fact, I'm in the process of building an alcohol friendly motor. See here.

Quick Reply: The sad future of our gasoline vehicles