1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Warming up

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 08:51 AM
wezol5484
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Warming up

When its cold outside I like to let the truck warm up before I leave for two reasons. 1. It pings like most trucks when its cold, and I dont like to drive it till it warms up and the pinging goes away. 2. I like a warm cab
My question is this, is there some type of time limit you shouldnt extend when letting your truck warm up? Is it "bad" to let it warm up for 15 mins or somethin while you go inside to take care of business? How long is too long?

Old 03-17-2005, 12:25 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
All you're doin is burning gas. When its cold in MN, ie below 0, I let my car warm up for 10 minutes or so before takin off. Thats where the remote start is nice.

Old 03-17-2005, 01:55 PM
blueice
Freshman User
Guys, that's way to long to let an engine warm up.If it's really cold give it 2 minutes and drive her easy. That way the tranny and rear end can warm up too.

Old 03-17-2005, 02:44 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
MisterCMK..quick question, (Sorry to rob the thread), What system do you have for your remote starter and what did you do about the PATS? (Chip in your key).

wezol5484 ...
I have started mine and went inside for a half hour. Never had a prob.

Old 03-17-2005, 03:07 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by blueice
Guys, that's way to long to let an engine warm up.If it's really cold give it 2 minutes and drive her easy. That way the tranny and rear end can warm up too.
Why is it too long? I would rather come out to a car that is nice and warm, and the defroster already turned on than freeze my butt off for 10 minutes till the heat comes on. In the Mustang, the car doesn't feel right unless I let it sit warm up for 10 minutes or so.

Old 03-17-2005, 03:17 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by BillyBob69
MisterCMK..quick question, (Sorry to rob the thread), What system do you have for your remote starter and what did you do about the PATS? (Chip in your key).

wezol5484 ...
I have started mine and went inside for a half hour. Never had a prob.
In the Expedition, I don't have a remote start. In the Mustang, I put the viper 791 system in. I have the remote start, shock sensor, proximity sensor, and backup battery all installed. The only thing I had to do install it on the Stang was disable the clutch switch, and make sure its in neutral before I remote start. I will not remote start the car if I can't remember wether or not I left it in neutral.

There are bypass kits out there to bypass the pats system. It is only active when the remote start is being used, so that it retains the pat functionality when not remote starting. Its just a module that you place under the ignition switch.

I love my remote start system, as it gets me a 2-way pager remote. That remote will tell me what zone is going off, if the alarm should trigger. It also shows wether or not the car is locked or unlocked, and if its running. The system does have a switch that you put in the car to disable the alarm in the even that you don't have the transmitter on you. This switch gets installed in a location that is not very obvious, such as in the center console, glovebox, hidden under the dash, or even mounted under the seat somewhere. With the viper system, you can program the number or presses of that switch to turn the alarm on and off. Also, you can preset the amount of run-time before the car turns off when remote started. I have mine set at default, however you can set it at 11, 20, or 60 minutes (11 is default). This system has a feature where you can keep the car running for 2-4 minutes to cool a turbo down, great for the diesel trucks. Another cool function is that you can keep the car running for the same remote start period if you are running into the store to pick something up. The system can turn on the rear defroster, or any other devices as well which is really cool. Last thing, you can set it up if you have a proximity sensor to turn off incase anyone gets too close. There are all kinds of cool things that you can do with it. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Old 03-18-2005, 08:15 AM
wezol5484
Postmaster

That sounds like somethin strait out of a James Bond movie, hmmmmm....Im gonna look into one.

Blueice, how comet thats too long? Is warming it up like that causing damage that will show up in the future?

Old 03-18-2005, 08:29 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
I had a remote starter on my ol Bronco...gonna put it back in after it is done. Love it! Haven't done one with the Newer truck tho cause of the PATS. Will have to check into the viper system.