2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting Rid Of Streaks While Washing

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 06:51 AM
Subsailor1127
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting Rid Of Streaks While Washing

Good day truck-mates! I just bought another black vehicle after I told myself years ago when I had one that I would never get another one. Got a great deal on this truck and it looks great when it is clean. Anyway, I washed it for the first time Saturday (had to get the dust off the hood you know) and had a lot of trouble getting the streaks out when drying it. I used a real chamois (brand new) and washed it with a sheep skin mitt. Do any of you have a good way to make the streaks go away? Real annoying, I spent about an hour running around the truck with the chamois wiping streaks off and still did not get them all.

Old 03-16-2005, 07:37 AM
whtevr
Junior User
Personally, I use my blower to dry my truck and my harley. I have found that it practically eliminates water spots and it gets the water out of those tough to reach places. I got the idea from watching some car show several years ago and I have been doing it since. Just be careful that you don't get close to anything that can be sucked in by the blower and embedded into your paint.

Old 03-16-2005, 07:57 AM
KevinM
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I use regular towels to dry, then go over it with a chamois. This seems to work.

Old 03-16-2005, 08:01 AM
Subsailor1127
More Turbo
I was a little worried about using regular towels to dry, thought they might scratch the paint (clear coat). I guess I could get some soft towels (have to sneak them out so the wife don't catch me). My dad recommended some kind of spray stuff they sell in stores that helps get rid of streaks. May try that also.

Old 03-16-2005, 08:14 AM
DonsFx4
Elder User
Glenn...I also have a black truck, and for the past year have been using the Mr Clean carwash system. When I first got it, I was pretty skeptical but a $5 rebate prodded me into buying it.

But after using it, it does a great job of eliminating water streaks, by using a filter to de-ionize the rinse water. I've got a whole process worked out to where the truck looks great after washing, and I'm not running through the soap or rinse filter as quickly. Basically, the "wash gun" has a 3 position rotary selector; straight up for normal water blast, left for soap/water, and right for rinse water. Doing a section at a time, I'll water blast first, apply the soap, work it in w/ a wash mitt, and then rinse with FULL WATER first to get all the soap off. Now the trick...the deionized rinse spray comes out in a V-shape fan, so starting at the top I'll spray just like I'm using a paint sprayer...you can see the deionized water displacing the "normal" water as it rolls down the hood (or sides). Once you have that "layer" of deionized water down, it'll dry streak-free.

I'll keep doing sections of the truck, working from the highest point downward, until every section has been left with the deionized rinse water. By and large, the truck will dry streak-free...but there may be areas where trapped water drains down and causes a streak (around door handles, gas door, etc). But keep drying those few areas w/ your chamois and the truck will look fantastic.

Then I'll finish with a coat of Meguires NXT (every other wash). The thing looks great (until you turn your back and the airborne dust settles on it again). But at least it's streak-free!!

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted you to get the idea how well this system works.

Old 03-16-2005, 08:18 AM
Subsailor1127
More Turbo
Don, you should do infomercials! That was a great post and now I feel educated! (and they said I was too old to learn). Thanks for spending the time to put that together. I will go invest in one of those. That is what I love about this site, people like you that help people like me out. Take care Don and thanks again!

Old 03-16-2005, 08:25 AM
DonsFx4
Elder User
Hey Glenn...I'm not a salesman nor do I play one on TV!! Honestly, I was prepared for the worst by having a black truck, but this deal really worked out.

The other benefit is I have yet to get "swirl marks", because I never touch the paint with a towel or chamois.

Try it out and hopefully you'll have just as good results. Washing the truck is now HALF the chore it used to be!

Old 03-16-2005, 09:33 AM
ATCS2004
Senior User
I have used the Mr. Clean system for over a year also and love it. If you wash in the heat of the sun you may get some streeks on the hood and top of cab, but all in all the system is great. Sure cuts down in the time it takes to clean your truck up!

Old 03-16-2005, 10:33 AM
Ruckus
Posting Guru
I have a black 04 Lariat 4x4 and it takes me at least 2.5-3.0 hours to wash and dry.I use a sheep skin mitt with car wash soap,rinse and use towels and then a chamois to dry.I end up with a few streaks.I have two questions 1. whtevr, Do you use a leaf blower or what? 2. DonsFX4, Where can I buy the Mr Clean Carwash System and about how long does it take you to complete this procedure?Great post by the way.I really like this site because of people like you, ready to help out. Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge.

Old 03-16-2005, 10:38 AM
ISUPhiPsi1052
Junior User
'05 SCAB XLT - Bright Red Clearcoat.

I use a California Water Blade. Works the nuts. Gets about 90% of the water off within 5 minutes or less. The remainder of the "mop up" is done with a synthetic shammy...

Old 03-16-2005, 10:47 AM
DonsFx4
Elder User
Ruckus..thanks! FTE is a great site; I've learned ALOT here about so many different aspects of Ford trucks, so I'm always happy to contribute in any way I can.

I bought mine at Pep Boys, $20 w/ $5 rebate, but I've seen them everywhere, even at CVS pharmacy! But the auto stores are probably the best bet, because they have the soap ($6??) and rinse filter ($8??) refills.

The starter kit comes w/ a small bottle of soap and a small-capacity filter...you can only get maybe 6 washes out of 'em. But the refills will last longer, and if you are careful when using it, you can stretch them out (like I don't use the rinse water on the tonneau cover or wheels...can't really see streaking there anyhow).

I would think the longetivity of the rinse filter depends on how hard your water is, but when the crystals in the filter turn brown (viewable in small window in filter), it's time to replace it.

It only takes me about 20-30 minutes to do the whole truck! And no chance of inducing swirl marks from using drying towels.

Again, somewhat costly outlay and recurrent expenses, but it really saves time with each wash, which adds up in the long run!

Last edited by DonsFx4; 03-16-2005 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:26 PM
TX-Import
Junior User
Wink

I also use the Mr. clean and it works and I am really ****. I do not use the Mr. Clean soap in mine but the McGuires in the big bottle. Duragloss 901 (red with a cherry like smell) works well at creating a bright shine in the Mr. clean as well. I then follow up with the eagle one wax as you dry and then a real wax job about once a quarter. The eagle one is quick, painless and does not build up but will help keep the daily grime from penetrating.

My 2cents worth.

Old 03-16-2005, 04:29 PM
InboundFX4
Senior User
After owning black vehicles and trying all sorts of products for years I switched to the dark shadow grey. No more problems! Black is the nicest color when it's clean though. I see that Maguire's Speed Shine is pretty popular are the classic auto shows. I use it sometimes too but I don't have a black vehicle to try it on.

Old 03-16-2005, 07:29 PM
asinatra
Senior User
Originally Posted by ISUPhiPsi1052
'05 SCAB XLT - Bright Red Clearcoat.

I use a California Water Blade. Works the nuts. Gets about 90% of the water off within 5 minutes or less. The remainder of the "mop up" is done with a synthetic shammy...
You should put some steel whool in your "synthetic shammy" and then you can harm your paint just as much as the water blade

A great product is the "absorber" and it works excellent.

Old 03-16-2005, 09:05 PM
markgilmore1322
Senior User
Once I started using Zaino, I've been using Large 100% cotton Made in the USA bath towels (Cannon, FieldCrest, etc) to wash and dry. Afterwards, I apply their Z6 product. No streaks here. . .

Quick Reply: Getting Rid Of Streaks While Washing