2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 or 05, same problems?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 12:55 AM
ReForder
Fleet Mechanic

Received 167 Likes on 89 Posts
04 or 05, same problems?

I'm SOOOOOOOOOO glad i found this site, it's awesome.

Thanks to the F150, it looks like i'm getting back into a Ford after being in volvo's for the last 7 years. Do the 05's have the same problems with rear-end vibration and the front tire "nibble" as the 04's? If i go with an 04 i can swing a Lariat or an FX4, but an O5 may limit me to an XLT, unless they work some magic with their sales figures.

This site has been an invaluable tool in my decision process. Kind of scary that despite the possibly significant rear end troubles, I cannot wait to get into this truck!!

Tony

Old 03-13-2005, 06:01 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! Please read the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand FTE.
Stick around someone will be by shortly to answer your question.
We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 03-13-2005, 07:04 AM
Vizsla_Buddy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't know abt 04 vs 05, but if you get a good one ... you have a great truck.

Old 03-13-2005, 07:10 AM
cbsaf
Senior User
Here are the problems I have had with my 04. The gas filler door spring broke but was replaced. The black trim behind the drivers side window dented and I replaced ($40.00). One recall on a butyl pad on the inner fender had to be performed. One free alignment was performed for uneven tire wear. Other than that and myself disabling the key chime it runs great.

Old 03-13-2005, 09:04 AM
Missouri Mule
Junior User
As a general rule the first year has more problems than subsequent years. I recently bought a 2005 and it has no vibration whatsoever; actually has no problems at all. My personal opinion is that it makes more sense to buy new. You'll get a full warranty; a new truck, and new car financing. And the cost savings of buying used are not that great. I got a deal on my new truck that I still can't believe. Shop around and crunch the numbers. If you were shopping for a car then it would be a better value buying used but trucks hold their value so well that the reverse is true in my opinion.

Old 03-13-2005, 09:13 AM
toypuller
Senior User
I had all kinds of problems with my 04. It was returned to Ford via the DSB.

Having said that, the # of problem trucks out there is very small. Your chances of getting one with a problem is equally small and even less likely since you have done the research and are aware of what to look for on a test drive. If I had found this site prior to my purchase I would have had different results I'm sure.

If you find an 04 you like take it for a long test drive. Not the around the block like most salesman want you to do. See if they will let you take it overnight or for at least an hour. Drive on rough roads, smooth roads, dirt roads and the roads you will drive it on every day. Take a passenger with you and ask them to point out everything negitive they see, hear or feel. Your brain will be lost in the new car haze (just like everybody else ) so have someone impartial with you.

If it's all good-then go for it.

Old 03-13-2005, 12:15 PM
SuperCrewDude
Senior User
Toypullers advice is dead on. My 04 has been fine so far. Awesome truck.

Old 03-13-2005, 05:41 PM
alwayschefing
New User
I haven't had any vibration problems in my 04 Supercrew. Buy the XLT, So many aftermarket toys you can buy at better prices. I have an XLT, 5.4 triton, its awesome. It's the engine that matters anyway, in my opinion. The Lariats are nice if you need Leather w/ heated seats. I had them, I prefer being able to seat a third person in the front if need be. The FX4, Wouldn't do it. Good Luck.

Old 03-13-2005, 10:25 PM
ReForder
Fleet Mechanic

Received 167 Likes on 89 Posts
why not the FX4? I would assume it rides a little rougher due to the offroad tuned suspension, if it even has that. But the interior is gorgeous, with the center console and aluminum accent trim. I like the XLT per say, but the smaller wheels, the lack of the good stereo, and the "option" of the 5.4 is leaning me towards the FX4 or Lariat.

Thanks for the input guys. I know exactly what to look for on a test drive. The dealers around here (Boston area) are very reluctant to allow test drives unless you intend to talk numbers and buy that same day. It's a pain in the a$$, I want to evaluate the vehicle for possible purchase, not take it home that same day.

Old 03-13-2005, 10:35 PM
Missouri Mule
Junior User
Originally Posted by ReForder
why not the FX4? I would assume it rides a little rougher due to the offroad tuned suspension, if it even has that. But the interior is gorgeous, with the center console and aluminum accent trim. I like the XLT per say, but the smaller wheels, the lack of the good stereo, and the "option" of the 5.4 is leaning me towards the FX4 or Lariat.

Thanks for the input guys. I know exactly what to look for on a test drive. The dealers around here (Boston area) are very reluctant to allow test drives unless you intend to talk numbers and buy that same day. It's a pain in the a$$, I want to evaluate the vehicle for possible purchase, not take it home that same day.
You need to find some reputable dealer if they won't let you test drive it before discussing details. My local dealer practically begged me to drive it so I would be satisfied. He also asked me to drive the new Freestyle although I am not in the market at all. He just wanted to show it off. A good dealer will let you drive it and take it home to look over carefully. If not then the dealer isn't worth your time. Look elsewhere.

Old 03-13-2005, 11:55 PM
alwayschefing
New User
I like the option of not have a center console myself, I can fit my son in the front with my wife and three guests in the back seat, Can't do that with a center console. I installed aftermarket wood dash kit to my XLT, I still cannot find a interior truck that looks nicer, More Complete, and more upgraded, $260.00
The Stereo also works great. I mean if you are young and need a stereo to blast you out of the vehicle or the vehicle next to you like when we were teenagers or early twenties fine, but the stock CD, AM/FM radio is fine with me.
You can also upgrade tires on and XLT, its an option, Rims also. Unless you are going to go four-wheeling night after night, shocks are not an option either. If you are, you are going to need a lift kit and bigger tires on either the FX4 and the XLT.
Like I was saying, Unless you like the leather of the Lariat, why pay 4,000.00 more for $1500.00 of aftermarket upgrades, unless you have the money to throw around. I also heard it was the FX4 that was having the vibration problems in the rear??

Old 03-14-2005, 07:21 AM
F250Wildman
Senior User
My '04 FX4 is awesome. Just had the butyl pad recall done. It rides stiffer than the XLT. But remember it is designed for offroad use. Mine ride fine to me. No vibrations what so ever. Road up to the mountains of NC and played in the snow this weekend. Did great in the snow. and also I got 16.8 MPG doing all that.

Old 03-14-2005, 08:07 AM
BlkButy
Elder User
I kind of like my truck a little bit as well. Only problem I had was a new tranny at 10k miles. Other than that BLKBUTY just keeps getting better daily. I am almost done MODDIN her now!

Old 03-14-2005, 01:06 PM
KevinM
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I own a 2004 without nibble or vibration.

Old 03-14-2005, 01:55 PM
JohnnyBoy
Senior User
Yeah, the center console and my rear had fightin words(read too big to not have a bench seat)

Quick Reply: 04 or 05, same problems?