2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wiring external antenna

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 08:56 PM
InboundFX4
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post wiring external antenna

I just bought an external antenna for my GPS. Has anybody ran any kind of external antenna for a GPS, mobile phone, satellite radio, etc, and if so where did you run the wire to get it from inside the cab to the roof? If possible I don't want to do any drilling. I have 9 feet of antenna wire that will run from approx. the ashtray to the front or back roof of the cab.

Old 03-13-2005, 08:30 AM
curranporto
New User
InboundFX4:

I have the same body style (05 F150 supercrew). I ran mine up the passenger side molding for the windshield, rapping it around the seam of the fender and chasis (roof line) then up under the door molding (with a small incision to the inner side of the same to avoind a pinch) then under the dash to the GPS unit. There is so much room under the dash it is a pleasure to take the glove box out and be able to reach. You need about 6 feet.

Good luck - I hope no more pesty wife forcing you to stop and ask for directions!

Old 03-13-2005, 11:56 AM
InboundFX4
Senior User
Smile

Sounds great! Thanks. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 03-13-2005, 11:58 AM
Chomper
Freshman User
Just got my new F150 last week, so I have not done it yet either. But on another F150 forum under the satellite section there are instruction for placing the antenna either under the wiper grill (out of sight), or out the third tail light. I plan to install xm and gps antennas under the wiper grill.

Old 03-13-2005, 12:13 PM
JohnnyBoy
Senior User
You should be able to run the wire from under the dash up the drivers side pillar, under the headliner and out the wiring port of the third brake light. Then from there, if there is a gap between the brake light housing and the rubber gasket, you could notch the housing and use a dab of silicone. I had a CB and XM antenna set up that way on my chebby. Perfect location for a antenna, i might add.

Old 03-13-2005, 12:17 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chomper
Just got my new F150 last week, so I have not done it yet either. But on another F150 forum under the satellite section there are instruction for placing the antenna either under the wiper grill (out of sight), or out the third tail light. I plan to install xm and gps antennas under the wiper grill.
The roof is the best location for a GPS, or satellite radio antenna. The wiper grill will create a signal "blind spot" towards the read of the vehicle...

Old 03-14-2005, 07:19 AM
curranporto
New User
InboundFX4:

The third brake light "thing" intrigs me. Have you seen those posts? I'm going to see if I can get through the headliner to it.

C-

Old 03-14-2005, 01:02 PM
InboundFX4
Senior User
Originally Posted by curranporto
InboundFX4:

The third brake light "thing" intrigs me. Have you seen those posts? I'm going to see if I can get through the headliner to it.

C-
I have and in the parking lot this morning I was looking to see if there was a way of getting into the headliner. The thing that scares me about pulling down the headliner is getting it back up. Nothing looks tackier in a vehicle than a sagging liner! I might start by simply putting the antenna on the inside of the windshield. The gps works great on the dash - not so great by the ashtray - so maybe having the antenna there will be good enough.

Old 03-14-2005, 01:18 PM
nutria rat
New User
how to run wire under headliner

Can someone please provide detailed instruction on how they routed their wiring under the headliner to the third brakelight. Do you remove the headliner or use an electrician's snake?

Old 03-14-2005, 01:32 PM
JohnnyBoy
Senior User
you should be able to pry off the interior panels near the headliner and route the wire under there. I am sorry about saying headliner, thats what I meant. you might have to wrangle the wires around a bit, but it should work. This is the way that I have wired stuff before. There is a small hole thru the cab to run the wires off the third brake light down the pillar there.

Old 03-14-2005, 02:36 PM
04fx4scab
Senior User
this is how i did the antenna for my satrad...

remove the two screws for the third light assembly(torx or hex, i can't remember), pull the light assembly out and the headliner is right there. just pull the back edge of the headliner down (right below where the light is) just enough to get a finger or two in there and feed your antenna wire from the outside in and grab it with your finger and pull it thru.

I came out under bottom of the light, put the light back on and wrapped the wire under the edge of the lense (there is a groove there, you'll see it once you are up there). you can almost see the wire going up the left side of the light.

on the inside there is a black rubber molding/gasket type thing that the headliner sits on around the perimeter.. just tuck your wires up under there until you get to the closest pillar and then tuck the wire under the pillar edge till you get to the floor. this is where i stopped because my tuner is under the back seat.

if you need to go further forward then just pull the sill plate up and run the wires forward under the carpet or in the trough to the front, and then under the carpet to the back of the dash or where ever your gps is located.

hope this helps a little.

Old 03-14-2005, 09:05 PM
nutria rat
New User
Excellent post, thanks for the instructions.

Old 03-15-2005, 03:58 PM
InboundFX4
Senior User
Great pix and post. Thanks! I got my antenna today so we'll see how it goes. It barely works on top of the dash (the GPS on top of the dash works great). I stuck it temporarily on the roof through the moonroof and it works great. Now to get a more permanent location...