Sponsored by: DP Tuner

HELP stranded in osage beach

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 03:08 PM
tuckr
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP stranded in osage beach

Yesterday slight rattle all over the place once in a while when stoppped put it in park and went away, so I got to thinking it was the torque converter cause from this forum i understand that there was some bad ones in 99. Today pulled up to a stoplight kinda slowed down on RPM's and when light turned green had no power what so ever, made it thru the intersection then started to snort and really rattle and miss. So I shut it down tried starting again but it wouldn't just catch once in a while and run on like three cylinders for a couple of seconds.Had a 1/4 tank of fuel so I thought maybe ran out, pulled top of fuel filter off and was only 1/4 full without filter in and was no pressure when I released the lid. Put more fuel in tried starting the same thing as before but this time when I crack the lid a little bit fuel started to squirt so at least there was pressure this time. Also changed the CPS along the highway and that doesnt help. Do you guys think it is air locked or something I dont think I ran out of fuel but the gauge could have been off Long story short I had it towed into a dealer to look at Monday had to rent a car and hotel till then. It is 1999 f250 with 62,455 miles on it even though it is out of warranty by calendar is there any tech bullentins I can throw at them and try toget them to fix this problem and maybe the converter, I should not be have these problems at that mileage just need some info for the upcoming fight on monday. Oh it is a 99.5 i checked the build date

Old 03-12-2005, 05:11 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 789 Likes on 601 Posts
Go fill the tank to the top. It sounds like you are drawing air into the fuel stream. Do a search on the Hutch mod. Either that or your fuel pump has failed. It's the electric motor mounted in the frame just about directly under the drivers seat.

Old 03-12-2005, 06:46 PM
tuckr
Freshman User
kwik the first time it tried starting before i put fuel in I could feel the vibration of the fuel pump thru the floorboards then after five gallons in it it would do a normal cycle and shut off then had pressure on the fuel filter lid so sounds like youare right but if the fuel filter is full wont she run at all or do you have to have high fuel pressure I thought isnt there a high fuel pressure rail or something

Also does anybody have that tech bullentine for the faulty torque converter???

Old 03-12-2005, 07:00 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by tuckr
kwik the first time it tried starting before i put fuel in I could feel the vibration of the fuel pump thru the floorboards then after five gallons in it it would do a normal cycle and shut off then had pressure on the fuel filter lid so sounds like youare right but if the fuel filter is full wont she run at all or do you have to have high fuel pressure I thought isnt there a high fuel pressure rail or something

Also does anybody have that tech bullentine for the faulty torque converter???
Hmmm, I'm guessing that you ran out of fuel. Simply getting the filter full will not purge the air from the fuel rail in the cylinder heads. To get the prime back you will have to remove the dead head plugs in the heads at the opposite end of the fuel rail where the steel lines go in. Cycle the ignition key to make the pump run and wait until you see fuel run out of the heads. Return the plugs with some sealing tape and attempt to restart. If that doesn't do it you have other problems as well.
The other alternative is to crank on the starter until the injectors have swallowed enough air to allow fuel to run into the rail. Then it should start. And, unless you are very fortunate and have a good mechanic to do it the right way, will happen to your truck on Monday.

Old 03-12-2005, 08:01 PM
tuckr
Freshman User
Thanks alot seeing how I am about 365 miles away from home and was stuck on the interstate. I was sort of panicing I had also changed the cps while I was out there on the road. So hopefully it will be not that much cuz I am at mercy right now pretty naked feeling Thanks for the info maybe I can get some sleep now tonite

Old 03-14-2005, 01:41 PM
tuckr
Freshman User
Update BAD PCM$$$$

They called and said it was a bad pcm right now I am at $852 diagnois and replacement adn rediagnois Does this sound high???

Old 03-14-2005, 01:50 PM
tuckr
Freshman User
Is there a bettter box code for pcm that I should request or something better out there

Old 03-15-2005, 08:30 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by tuckr
They called and said it was a bad pcm right now I am at $852 diagnois and replacement adn rediagnois Does this sound high???
And re-diagnosis??? Why are they not sure it will start? And are they positive the fuel rails are primed?