1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1950 F1 - Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 11:08 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will look but I think I lost all my orginal pictures when the BSOD (blue screen of death) decended upon me. This truck had been sitting/stored at least 15 years prior to my purchase. The rear fenders were trash, all rusted out behind the tail lights, and at the running boards. Front fenders were bent down (oil canned) cab had the usual rust in the rear corners, and around the front door pillar. Looking at some of the pictures of the f1's that some of these guys are starting with I was very lucky. It has all orginal drivetrain in it still 226 6 cylinder, 4 spd 427 rear gears. I have not done any work on the engine outside of carb, and distributor rebuild.

Old 03-13-2005, 05:44 PM
sturman3
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does anyone know for sure where the vin # is on th frame rails ? front left ,right, outside ,inside etc ....HELP

Old 03-13-2005, 05:52 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The VIN will be the on top of one of the frame rails between the front of the cab and the front axle. It may be hard to find since some of the stampings are not very deep, but it's there unless somebody ground it off or cut off the front for a clip or something. A wire brush on a drill and a flashlight are usually a big help in finding it. Some folks have used a little motor oil to enhance the visibility after brushing.

Old 03-13-2005, 08:29 PM
texan2004
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Earl
Uhhh ... do you need someone to finish their restoration in your garage? You know, just to make sure you have the right type of garage and all the tools you need? I'd be willing to check it out thoroughly and help you buy any tools you don't have. Heck, I'd also be willing to check out the new tools so they are ready to go when you buy your truck. Is the garage air-conditioned, by any chance?
Bring Earl on down. We'll finish him up in a week and he can be reborn a Texan. Garage AC is for women (that is until I get that window unit in this summer).

Old 03-13-2005, 09:32 PM
Earl
Postmaster
As far as the AC goes, I gotta disagree. I can take 0*F and am constantly hounded by people for running around outside in short sleeve T-shirts when it's 25*F. It gets above about 75*F, and I'm toast. I hate those hot summer days.

Old 03-13-2005, 09:50 PM
texan2004
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Earl
As far as the AC goes, I gotta disagree. I can take 0*F and am constantly hounded by people for running around outside in short sleeve T-shirts when it's 25*F. It gets above about 75*F, and I'm toast. I hate those hot summer days.
Those 100/98 (100*F/98% Relative Humidity) days build character. Funny thing is, we are the ones that had a white Christmas this year. Who'd of ever thunk that would happen south of Houston.

Seriously though, AC is on the list of things to add to the garage. Then water and sewer.

Old 03-13-2005, 09:58 PM
azwafree
Senior User
Have you looked at other years as well or are you set on a '48? I've had a '48 and now I have a '56. They both have their good points but now that I've got my '56, I wouldn't go back to the older model.

Old 03-13-2005, 10:00 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Originally Posted by texan2004
Those 100/98 (100*F/98% Relative Humidity) days build character. ...
Yeah, those days and the bugs the size of a Volkswagen in the bathroom - both build character. I was in Baytown and Houston for a week a long time ago while interviewing for jobs with Exxon. I don't think I would last a day there now that I'm old and fat.

Old 03-13-2005, 11:14 PM
docholiday72tx
Posting Guru
Texan2004, There is a 49 F1 near me that is for sale for $1000. I don't know anything about the truck except it looks realy straight from the road driving by. It's in Bellmead, Tx. which is just outside of Waco. I'm not sure where you are, but it may be worth taking a look at it if your not too far.
Mike

Old 03-14-2005, 07:26 AM
texan2004
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by docholiday72tx
Texan2004, There is a 49 F1 near me that is for sale for $1000. I don't know anything about the truck except it looks realy straight from the road driving by. It's in Bellmead, Tx. which is just outside of Waco. I'm not sure where you are, but it may be worth taking a look at it if your not too far.
Mike
Doc,

Thanks for the lead. Can you PM me with contact information for the owner. Thanks. I am directly Southeast for Houston.

Old 03-14-2005, 10:24 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Tex, it sounds like you will keep shopping for a while more. This is the most fun part of the process anyway. Second most fun is the renovation, and third most fun is the constant cleaning. I bought and restored mine as a hedge against car devaluation. My wife wanted something cool to drive (I've had my Fairlane since 1993), and I couldn't stand the thought of paying 30-40K for a new truck or suv that will steadily decline in value. I think that the 54 will hold its value and maybe even go up a little. Also, when we drive by in it, everybody stares and waves. People appreciate the vintage vehicles. I'm sure that they don't give a second glance at a new pickup or suv. Mine was bought almost three years ago for $4400. It's up to $19K now, but worth it. Happy shopping.

PS: If you are wanting the easiest restore, then stick with the 53-55 F100 model (preferably one that has already been started by somebody else). It is the most plentiful body style and there are boocoo suppliers for parts. JAG

Old 03-14-2005, 10:36 AM
Scott123
Elder User
If you are deciding on the vehicle with the VIN questionable, call your state's Director of Revenue or whichever office does vehicle licensing and ask for help/advice. Don't expect fast answers either, most of those people weren't around when these vehicles were built, but if you keep on them you can at least find out your options before you invest money in it. You definitely don't want to inherit someone else's title headache. I had VIN numbers that didn't match, had the highway patrol check it, gave me the paperwork to give to the DOR, but said he couldn't read the vin very well on the frame. DOR took it ok and fixed the old title, but it does take a while. I feel much better having matching numbers now. It's a vehicle that's been in the family since before my 31 years, but until 3 years ago the vin was off by a few digits on the title and that always bothered me. The thought of putting a crapload of money and effort into restoring it and have somebody off the street challenge my ownership kind of spooked me.

Scott

Old 03-14-2005, 06:37 PM
hilltopfarms
Junior User
Same Mistake Twice

One definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over and expect different results. . . . .

Used to be the proud owner of a pre-1870 large victorian farmhouse. Working on old trucks is deja vu all over again - just like havin' a 100 plus year-old house.

You buy it, probably pay way too much to start with, then proceed to throw it away one piece at a time, and pay three times as much for new pieces as what they should be. The biggest advantage my truck has over the old house is that when you fall off the roof, you don't have to wait near as long for the ground to come up at you .

You could save the aggravation of having to take all them greasy or rusty parts off some old truck one by one and then throw them away. Why not just give up looking for an old truck and look a nice original 1950 F1 VIN Plate instead, then buy the rest of the parts to build a truck one-by-one? Then you won't have to worry about the VIN number at all!

Just kiddin of course -

PS: don't let your wife see this - cause there's too much truth in it.

Last edited by hilltopfarms; 03-14-2005 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:18 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Jag Red 54
Tex, it sounds like you will keep shopping for a while more. This is the most fun part of the process anyway. Second most fun is the renovation, and third most fun is the constant cleaning. I bought and restored mine as a hedge against car devaluation. My wife wanted something cool to drive (I've had my Fairlane since 1993), and I couldn't stand the thought of paying 30-40K for a new truck or suv that will steadily decline in value. I think that the 54 will hold its value and maybe even go up a little. Also, when we drive by in it, everybody stares and waves. People appreciate the vintage vehicles. I'm sure that they don't give a second glance at a new pickup or suv. Mine was bought almost three years ago for $4400. It's up to $19K now, but worth it. Happy shopping.

PS: If you are wanting the easiest restore, then stick with the 53-55 F100 model (preferably one that has already been started by somebody else). It is the most plentiful body style and there are boocoo suppliers for parts. JAG
Why not the 56 model year ?????

Old 03-14-2005, 07:22 PM
Earl
Postmaster
'cuz Jag's got one of those non-56 trucks and he's envious. He knows the 56's are the most desirable for good reason. And another thing,

Quick Reply: 1950 F1 - Is it worth it?