General Automotive Discussion

Whatis a good brand of battery?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 12:24 AM
mikewrt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whatis a good brand of battery?

I need to get a new battery for a Pontiac Gand AM, if the dealer won't cover it under the warranty. What is a good brand to get?

Old 03-11-2005, 05:45 AM
Icicle
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Optima Optima Optima........

Old 03-11-2005, 05:52 AM
trike1946
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have Deca, but am not happy with it. I don't recommend it. Optima will be my next one.

Old 03-11-2005, 06:30 AM
94van
Posting Guru
There are basically 3 major battery manufacturers in the U.S. Depends on what label they stick on for that day is what you get.

Get one from a store that has lots of outlets, so if you're out of town, it's easy to get warranty if needed.

Old 03-11-2005, 07:46 AM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
IMO, an exide battery is the way to go.

IMO, Optimas and other batteries of that nature are better utilized in extreme environments and in hard working applications.

Just find some one that moves alot of batteries in a month, as that will assure you a good fresh one.

IMO, Sam's club batteries are extremely hard to beat for price and warranty (exide nascar select batteries in my area).

Old 03-11-2005, 08:53 AM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I see you're in AZ and all the replies have been from "northerners". I have a friend/former neighbor who lived in Phoenix for quite a few years. He said that batteries there last 2 years due to the heat. Period. That being said, I'd just go cheap (think Wally World here) for that car. It's not like you're starting a 460 in a truck when it's -20F...

My experience has been that I get 5+ years out of a battery here in IN. (I use DieHards). And, when they go in the winter, you have a couple days of warning--a few real slow starts before they check out permanently. When they give up the ghost in the summer, there's no warning. They just die, and there's no jumping them, either.

Jason

Old 03-11-2005, 10:09 AM
RangerRuss
Elder User
jroehl makes a good point - any battery once it is 3 years old or so is highly suspect. Even if it load tests O.K. that is right now not 20 minutes from now.

Purchase one from a facility that moves a lot of batteries so that you have a much less chance of buying one that has been setting around for a while. Also make sure that your new battery exceeds the manufacturers specification for cold cranking amps (CCA's). As the northerners will need the extra pop in the winter you may very well need it in the summer.

At work we use Interstate batteries. It is a rare day when one fails prior to 3 - 4 years. In some cases we replace them due to time as having the vehicle not ready to go (Fire Truck) would be harder to explain than the cost of a new batteries.

Russ

Old 03-11-2005, 11:32 AM
RocketScience
Posting Guru
I bought a Malibu Skier competition ski boat a few years back. First thing I did was replace both (yes, it has two) batteries in the thing with Optima’s. I did this based on all the hoopla I heard about how good they were, and figured, ‘hey, why not go with the best and not have to worry about it!’ Well, IMO, they’re shock resistant, and that’s about it! The problem I found with the Optima’s, is that they don’t take well to radical charging cycles (i.e. drawing them down because your hang’n out on the lake blast’n music half the day (engine off), and then fire’n her up to do some sking or some such). Nope. They don’t like that. I replaced both of them on warranty and had the same problem. I am now using Exides, which have performed flawlessly. I’ve also heard from my buddies who are ‘four-wheelers’, that in their experience, they don’t last any longer than other brands either…..My two cents.

Old 03-11-2005, 12:14 PM
78Explorer
Posting Guru
If money were not object, I'd get an Optima...

Since it usually is a consideration, I'd choose Interstate!

Scott

Old 03-11-2005, 03:06 PM
RocketScience
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 78Explorer
If money were not object, I'd get an Optima...
Money is an object for me, but I bought the Optima’s anyway based on some faulty reasoning: Hoopla.

My research found that this hoopla is based more on a perception regarding: cutting edge technology, it’s high-tech looks -and- because it costs twice the amount of a standard battery, hey, it must be good.

After I replaced the Optima’s, I reluctantly did a little post research. I found:

A) Not that many people own Optima’s, so there is very little consensus.
B) The ones that do and have had trouble, don’t want to talk about it because of the poor investment.
C) The few that do talk, mention the same problems, mainly, standard battery longevity.

So, what DO you get for $130.00? IMO, only a little extra vibration resistance in a spill-proof container. That's it.

Scott,
I think you’re better off with the Interstate battery.

Old 03-11-2005, 03:12 PM
tdister
Posting Guru
Interstate has been the best for me.

Old 03-11-2005, 03:16 PM
78Explorer
Posting Guru
RocketScience,

Thanks! I'll stick with Interstate...

Scott

Old 03-11-2005, 03:22 PM
race8x98
Freshman User
Keep it simple, if you have an Advanced Auto in your area, their batteries are pretty good. I have had them in a drag car for 3 years and still OK. You can buy 3 wet batteries for the cost of 1 Optima.

Old 03-11-2005, 06:16 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
For a normal car or truck, I think you buy from whatever chain is in your area for the cheapest price since after about three years, any battery is on the way down. Of course, people never change the battery acid, so what can you expect.

I decided to go for the Red Top Optima because I am hoping it will last at least three years, the period of the warranty. It is slightly 2x less expensive ($109 vs $59) then the wet battery I was going to get (650 cca) instead. The dual posts is nice too.

On my truck I usually buy the best battery, on my cars the best value. The best value battery usually does not last too long in a truck because of the vibration and deep cycling doing stuff off-road.

FWIW: I would go by the Consumer Reports testing results instead of hearsay or buy a marine battery recommended by West Marine.

Old 03-11-2005, 06:18 PM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Icicle
Optima Optima Optima........
will not get anything else in any vehicle i plan to keep for more than 3 years.

Quick Reply: Whatis a good brand of battery?