Sponsored by:

Late Model Script Fender Emblem

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 12:15 AM
Outlaw08
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Late Model Script Fender Emblem

I am wanting to change a few cosmetic things in my '88 Bronco, and I would love to replace my fender emblem, because I hate the look of it. But would a late '60s bronco script fender emblem fit in the spot of the bulky '80s bronco emblems? I've never taken an emblem off before so I'm not quite sure how they are mounted, but I would love to put on the old school Bronco emblems in place of what I got. I'm just not sure if I'd have to drill or if it would just kind of snap into the old holes if there are any.

http://i7.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/96/61/e8_1_b.JPG

Old 03-11-2005, 06:56 AM
ALSAIR
Elder User
The 88 script is held on by two pins, and double sided tape. You can take a plastic putty knife and remove your script, but you will have the adhesive on your paint you will need to get off without damaging the paint, and two holes that will have to get covered. I am doing the same thing, however my paint is shot and will be re-done. Believe it or not the adhesive is good, does not come off easily, maybe wet sanding will work for ya.
Al

Old 03-11-2005, 12:52 PM
JBronco
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been buying extra plastic/metal "4X4" emblems like the one that is on the front of my 1990. I want to put one on each side under the "Bronco XLT" tag and one on the tailgate. I've got one so far from eBay and hope to get the other two from the boneyard. I have not put any on yet but I have done this before.

The 4X4 emblems that I have each have two pins. I do not want to drill holes in the sheet metal for them though, and I don't have two. Today's double sided tape is more than strong enough to hold these things on permanantly. In fact most of today's vehicles use only that and no pins to hold the emblams on.

First, cut the pins off of the emblem and grind it down flat where the pins were, if needed. Then use the tape, and then trim it from the BACK side of the emblem. You don't have to be neat or perfect on the back. You just want to make sure that the tape won't cover any of the gaps between, and holes in, the letters. Then trim it back just a little from the edges so it can't be seen - clean the area where you want to mount it and stick it on. It will be there for the life of your Bronco, and even if it does get a little loose (which it probably won't) you can just re-do the tape. You don't need to drill holes in your sheet metal.

PS - Looking at those Bronco script emblems, that's going to be harder than the average emblem to trim the tape on, but it can be done if you have the patience and take your time. Remember that it does not have to be perfect on the back side, just so it can't be seen on the front and that it holds the emblem on.

Last edited by JBronco; 03-11-2005 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:49 PM
Injected
New User
I've been looking at doing the same thing to my '88, I also want to put a set of those new "V8" emblems. They look like a reproduction of the old Ford "V8" grill emblems, I saw one on the back door/gate of one of the newer big Ford SUV's. But it may be on the pickups also, I havn't checked yet.
They sure do look nice.

Old 03-11-2005, 03:57 PM
mattmitch
Junior User
Don't Know if the holes match, and I do prefer that look also. However, I was curious to know about the bucking bronco emblem? What year or model did that come from? We are re-painting soon and updating emblems.

Old 03-13-2005, 12:33 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The holes do NOT match. The early model "Bronco" nameplate is held in place with five pins and matching "barrel clips". All are available through Jeff's Bronco Graveyard. 92 and later models have a 7/8" diameter hole behind the OEM nameplate about dead center of the badge. Not sure about the 80's vintage fenders. This is what the script looks like on a 92.

Note: the V8 emblem below the "Bronco" script is modern OEM insignia from the right rear lower corner of V8 equipped Explorers.