Utah Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Nichalicious

AfterMarket cold Air Intake

Old 03-11-2005, 10:38 AM
bwdawson
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AfterMarket cold Air Intake

I live in the Salt Lake area, Utah (elevation 4500 ft.) & bought a new F-350 DIESEL 6 liter super duty 4x4 crew cab long bed back in August 2004. The truck has good power, but living at the elevation we do, I know that getting all the air possible into the engine is crucial to more power (hp, torque, mileage etc.) We pull a 26 ft. camp trailer with the truck to our favorite camps in the mountains which are around 6-7000 ft. elev.

Right now the truck has only 6000 miles on it, and the camping season is coming up. I would like to know if putting on an aftermarket cold air intake such as K & N (among others) is a good idea? The more air the better. The local ford dealer has said don't do it - might damage the turbo, but K & N has been around a long time. I have put on an aftermarket 4 inch exhaust and that has helped some.
I am looking for some good Advice??

Old 03-12-2005, 05:32 PM
skybob
Freshman User
I have heard that a cold air intake will help, especially with aftermarket exhaust. My grandpa put a K&N intake on his 01 7.3 PSD Excursion and he said that it helped a little with power and a slight increase in MPG and thats with stock exhaust. I think you are right about getting more air to the engine at this elevation, and I can't see why it would hurt your truck to do so.

Old 03-13-2005, 07:31 PM
mjwhip2
Elder User
The only problems anyone I have talked to have with the K&N is only with the drop-in filters. No one has problems with the FIPK. The problem with the drop-in is they have a tendency of creating a poor seal in the stock box. You have many options for intakes, one of the easiest (and cheapest) is a do it yourself job. You can see mine in my gallery. Or you can contact Dale Isley at tymarperformance.com. Then you can go with the others like AFE, or K&N FIPK.
I'm not sure of the differences between the 6.0 and the 7.3 so hopefully these open air filters will work/fit.
Good luck and welcome to FTE.
Mike

Old 03-14-2005, 10:07 AM
bwdawson
New User
I appreciate each of your comments and thoughts. Thank you.

Search this Thread