1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Disabling daytime running lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 03:00 PM
pitrow
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disabling daytime running lights

Hi all, I just bought a '99 EB Exp. and I hate the fact that the headlamps are on all the time. Is there any way to disable it so that I the lights are off in the DTRL position, but come on when I turn the switch (or when it gets dark)?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 03-09-2005, 04:35 PM
pitrow
Elder User
actually let me clarify a little more...

right now the switch is:
Left: DRL + auto on when dark
Middle: DRL + parking lights
Right: Full lights, pull out for fog lights

What I would like is:
Left: No lights, auto on when dark still available
Middle: parking lights only (no auto on)
Right: Full lights, pull for fog

Is there any way to do this?

Old 03-09-2005, 05:21 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Pull the DRL fuse? Although, sometimes many things share a fuse...

There must be a DRL relay somewhere...I'll have to dig it up in my Service DVD.

Old 03-10-2005, 08:16 AM
PaulC
Posting Guru
Is this a vehicle that was originally sold in Canada? USA-bound Expys didn't leave the factory with DRL's enabled. The answer really depends on how the system was enabled. Ford offered a generic DRL kit that could be adapted to any vehicle (lots of wires to be spliced in)and also offered parts that used the existing wiring to enable the Canadian-style system (MUCH cleaner install). If the latter, I seem to recall a component that was added to the relay block found under the oval access panel found on the top of the passenger's side of the dashboard. I think that a jumper had to be removed and the component added on.

Here's a link to an illustrated install of the Canadian-style system:

http://www.geocities.com/skyjet1/DRL.html

Last edited by PaulC; 03-10-2005 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:30 AM
l.stull
Junior User
I have an 01 super duty with daytime running lights ,think it was from canada but there is a little box behind drivers side headlight that has 1 plug to it .Just unplugged this and no more day time lights. Havent noticed that it affected anything else.did it about 4months ago

Old 03-10-2005, 10:05 AM
Aftrmidnite
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I've added DRL to my vehicles, I've gotten a discount on insurance. It also cuts down on pedestrian accidents and I've noticed less people will cross against the light on me, so it easier to make turns. The only problems I've had is a county cop stopped me because he thought I had a problem. Also some guards at a Military installation hassled me till I talked to their CO. The DRL relay is under the oval on the right side of the dash. It can be removed by prying up with your finger nails. Be careful of the razor sharp clips. Mark the outer edge of the Oval with a piece of tape, before removing and have an old towel laid out to set it on. Look for a jumper pin with an orange black stripe wire. The DRL has 7 wires the ALM has 5 wires. Unplug the DRL and plug the jumper into the wire harness. Behind the left front bumper there should be a dirty white "U" shaped ceramic block about 6" X 2" with 2 wires plugged into it. Unplug the wires, and put the protective plug cap over the wire harness plug. If you drive the vehicle into Canada and they find you disconnected the DLR they will ticket you!! Even if its registered in the US, and Canadian Customs knows what to look for!!

Old 03-10-2005, 11:02 AM
PaulC
Posting Guru
Mike,

A thought has occurred to me: Your EB is equipped with the optional Autolamp feature, right? Is it operating properly? If you truly have DRL's, the taillights and license plate illumination lamps should be off while the DRL's are on. If the Autolamp system is in play, those lights should be on. Do you have any type of dashboard cover? If you do, is the Autolamp sensor covered over?

Old 03-11-2005, 09:55 AM
pitrow
Elder User
Thanks for the responses guys.

I'm pretty sure the autolamp feature is working correctly. During the day, when I switch (manually) from DRL position to the On position the headlamps get brighter. I've never checked the taillamps, but during the day the dash lights are off, but when it starts getting dark you can see (and hear) the autolamps switching off and on until it gets dark enough for them to stay on.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:41 AM
Jay Roberts
New User
I know this thread is 10 years old but my search led me here so I'm sure others will end up here too. I've solved the disable drl dilemma, well technically I found the answer. Check out the sight below. It's a great write up with explanations and pictures of how to enable AND disable the DRL's.
I used it for my 1998 Expedition...

http://www.fordf150.net/howto/drl.php

Old 09-08-2015, 09:07 AM
alloro
Received 4,194 Likes on 2,430 Posts
DRLs have been proven to reduce daytime accidents, so a justifiable reason for disabling them eludes me. Quite frankly if I was ever involved in an accident with someone that disabled their DRLs (a safety feature) I would sue their butt off for gross negligence.