General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

My Calgary Stampeders !!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2001, 10:09 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
My Calgary Stampeders !!

Just in case many of you Americans didn't know waht happened in Canada today.

The professional Football Team from My hometown "The Calgary Stampeders " won the Grey Cup 27-19 against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

The GREY CUP is A.K.A. The Canadian Version of the Superbowl.

When ever the team scores a touchdown,we have a Horse that runs down the sidelines.

Man ,This city is a Hopping tonight >
Snow,Icy streets and all.

Way to go Calgary and all those Americans that play on our team.

Dennis

78 F-150 429CJ C6 ,Silver w/Explorer Pkge
641/2 Mustang,Pre-World's Fair Car #8092
64 Fairlane S/C waiting for a 390-4spd.
68-Mustang.Sunlit Gold 80,000 miles
Attachments:

Old 11-25-2001, 10:58 PM
Thudpucker
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Calgary Stampeders !!

I love it One in a million.
Down here in Louisiana we had a Heckuva a Hockey team! The Lake Charles Ice Pirates.
All made up of Canadiens. Who else knows how to play hockey from the Age of Three.

THe league still exists, but we lost our team.
The Rules stated we had to have at least three Americans on each team. I was really surprised to see we had so many Americans that could play Hockey that well. All of them are from Minneasota, North Dakota and up in the New England area. Close to the Canadien Border.

Old 11-26-2001, 05:24 PM
Vampiro
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Calgary Stampeders !!

as a winnipeger and blue bomber fan i was disappointed that the bombers did not win. but overall i think it was a good game. what did u think Dennis? personnally k Jones didn't play to well, and Calgary had more experiance and came to play. Winnipeg seemed to think that they would win so they played sloppy.

o well. theres always next grey cup. the bombers will win it next year, hopefully

Joseph

Old 11-26-2001, 05:54 PM
Mil1ion
New User
My Calgary Stampeders !!

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 26-Nov-01 AT 06:55 PM (EST)]Well,Considering Calgary SOLD all their "WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR" signs,they had to win !
*grin*

I think It was a game of who is more nervous.
Calgary got off to a lousy start,I kept telling my wife > We just dodged another bullet,I said that 4 times in the first quarter.

Calgary players seemed to have butterflies not being able to catch the ball and the Bombers defence wouldn't allow K.Anderson anything up the middle and Crandell wouldn't try and send him around the outside.

I noticed before Calgary turned the game around that there seemed to be a lot of pep talks on the sidelines.
I still get pissed at CBC's coverage,with the bad camera shots during crucial plays.
The officials missed the fumble recovery by the stamps early (do to an awfully quick whistle.
Yet they gave the ball to Winnipeg when it was clear that the knee was down before the ball was dropped.
We really need the "Replay" available for the officials.

I don't care which way it goes after that but, the officials HAVE to get it right.

It reminded me of the Cal/Edm game where the two officials had different points of view.
Of course the one with the PERFECT CLOSE view didn't have senior
status, the one that had his view blocked by the players did have senior status so the call went his way > Which is WRONG in my mind.

Winnipeg played great defence all game,IMO.
Jones had done some great stuff,I never expected him back after the BIG HIT he took.

Where the heck did that Punt Return Guy come from?
That fella was FAST...........

I felt the game was NOT a walk-away win by no means.

Of course to anyone who was watching knew that the play of the game
was the Blocked Kick.

I feel *Fleming* for Calgary should have been the MVP instead of Crandell.
Fleming, I noticed was Instrumental in at least 15 plays.

It wasn't a classic Grey Cup but,it did have some anxious moments.

Full marks go to Winnipeg though for their tenacious play.

Dennis

Old 11-28-2001, 06:17 PM
Chuck P.
Elder User
My Calgary Stampeders !!

Man you just had to remind me how much I miss the CFL! I used to be able to watch at least one game a week, last five years haven't seen any except the Gray Cup four years ago. Loved going to see the Baltimore C, sorry-can't use that one (always did **** me off), a, CFLer's for the rest of that season and finally the Stallions. Love that style of 'ball, of course to fast and wide open for most down here plus you have quarterbacks that aren't afraid to get hit, or run, just never seemed to make it down here. Heck, what other pro football game can you go down to just behind the sidelines and talk to the players (or have them talk to you) during the game!? Of course they had to leave-the "real" team moved to town. Can't even really watch the NFL, man they got to pick up the pace, it's such a drag after the CFL. Congrats to you and the Stampeders!! Please don't laugh, Argo's fan myself-hey, they are the closest to me and often said I'd like to take a weekend trip to one of the games-gotta love those Sat. games, you folks know how to have a football games, non of this havin' to get up for work the next morning stuff to worry about! Congrats again!!

Old 11-28-2001, 08:14 PM
Mil1ion
New User
My Calgary Stampeders !!

CFL Quarterbacks that MADE IT in the NFL
Joe Capp
Warren Moon >Houston
Joe Theisman> Washington
Doug Flutie > Buffalo/San Diego
Dave ? (from Calgary) went down for this season to San Diego
Jeff Garcia > San Francisco

Just to name a few.

Thanks
Dennis

Old 11-28-2001, 09:15 PM
Chuck P.
Elder User
My Calgary Stampeders !!

Hey Dennis, a lot more great players other than QB's have done well for themselves down here! Please don't misunderstand, I should have made it clear that it's not the players or QB's that I was refering to not making it, it's the game or "style" of 'ball just hasn't ever caught on down here. Sorry for that, didn't mean disrespect in any way, shape or form. Only about 5-7,000 folks turned out for the games here the first year, hate to admit it, but I thought that was great! As a fan anyway! After they won the Cup, there would be around 10-15,000 tops, last couple of home games had the most. This in a place that can hold around 50,000 and was never designed for the CFL size field, which put us right on the field, who could ask for more. Don't remember exactly when the season starts, but usually around the beginning of July I start to see if any of the games may be televised here, late night/weekday, ect., hey I got no problem recording them, no dice though. Again, sorry for the poor wording!

Old 11-28-2001, 09:30 PM
Mil1ion
New User
My Calgary Stampeders !!

Hey,you Don't have to apologize.

In see what you mean now.

As far as sports go here in Canada Except for the fans of the
Saskatchewan Roughriders ,Who BTW,folks who read this >> Drive from as far away as Northern Saskatchewan to cheer for the team (about 480 Miles)
Now that is Loyalty.

Most fans in Canada are FICKLE ,It's a wonder people don't get Hernia's getting Off & On the Bandwagon every couple of weeks.

Personally !
I will NOT support Millionaire Athletes though NO MATTER what.

I get more enjoyment out of watching university,MidgetAA,Peewees games,more than the so-called pros who do it for the money.
Blame Owners for that though.

The CFL is a GREAT game

A field 110 Yards Long,60 Yards Wide,End Zones 15 Yards Deep.
And at least 40% of the games are outside under whatever the weather conditions >Just like watching some Green Bay Packers games.

It makes for a great game allright !

Maybe get a Satellite Dish and watch them.

Dennis

Old 11-29-2001, 01:26 PM
BB
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Calgary Stampeders !!