Notices

Which Spray in Bedliner?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 07:09 PM
Texascadillac42
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Spray in Bedliner?

Which spray in bedliner do you guys prefer? Color match isnt an issue as I am going with black, but in terms of durability and thickness, what brand do you like best?

Old 03-06-2005, 08:35 PM
78-f150-4x4-351m
Junior User
Line X

I haven't put in a Line X bed liner but the company I work for has metal portable stands coated with it. The stands are thick steel and get moved alot and abused. The coating seems to stand up pretty well. Hope this helps.

Old 03-06-2005, 09:17 PM
Jerry Gougeon
Elder User
When I had the body basically replaced on my '78 I had the new box done with a liner called Armourthane that is now 11 years old without problem .

The 6 oilfield picker trucks I had working with my last company were all done with this as well on the decks and it stood up better than anything else I'd ever seen . Had an operator drop a 700 lb. valve on one and it put a three inch deep dent in the deck between the supports but did not split the rubber .

Old 03-07-2005, 08:25 AM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
Armorthane is the same as Rhino. Two owners split years ago, one kept Rhino, the other took Armorthane. Armorthane operates mostly in Canada.

Armorthane and Rhino are made of 100% polyurethane. LINE-X is a blend of polyurea and polyurethane which gives the liner more than twice the tear resistance (304 pli vs. 145 pli), a 75 degree higher temperature tolerance (250 degrees vs. 175 degrees), and better chemical resistance (especially with organic oils and solvents).

Armorthane and Rhino's warranty is only with the dealer that sprayed it. LINE-X's offers a nationwide lifetime warranty.

Old 03-11-2005, 11:45 PM
302V8
Junior User
Here is a story that may influence your decision....Line-x approached the U.S. Navy and offered to spray the deck of an aircraft carrier for free. The catch was that if the Navy was satisfied with the end result and performance, then they had to agree to give Line-x the contract to spray the rest. They got the contract.

Old 03-12-2005, 12:49 AM
hotrod_ta
Elder User
Being in the navy for the last five years (albeight submarines, not carriers) I can say for a fact that just because it is mil spec'd or used by the military does not make it the best out there... From my experiences, the shop that sprays the liner makes more of a difference than the brand. Talking to the owner of the local rhino linings, he can spray easily up to 1/2" without any dificulty on a truck bed. The local law enforcement has him spray their target dummies about an inch thick, enough to stop a .45cal round with very little damage to the liner. I would say go with whoever offers the best price and warranty.

Old 03-12-2005, 01:16 AM
302V8
Junior User
oh, well, in that case go buy the stuff in the aerosol can at your local parts store. Best price you will find. As for the warranty, no one to blame but yourself.

Yeah, common sense will tell you that the thicker you spray it the longer it will last. Common sense will also tell you that the thicker you have it sprayed the more expensive it will be.

If you had the choice of going with a 1/2" thick rhino lining or a 1/4" line-x lining (which also comes with a lifetime warranty, not sure about rhino), which would you go with? The one that has to spray thicker to make it last, or the one that has enough confidence in their product to spray half as much?

Old 03-12-2005, 02:36 AM
Netfly
Elder User
I went with Rhino liner. Its softer and seems less abrasive on whatever is in the bed. For me is was the dealer that made the difference, get it from someone who does it right and will be there if it needs repair. Either product is good if applied right.

Old 03-12-2005, 11:33 AM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
LINE-X and Rhino differ quite a bit. The biggest difference is that LINE-X contains polyurea and Rhino does not. Polyurea enhances the bedliner’s properties: 1. LINE-X's temperature tolerance is 250 degrees and Rhino's is 175. As the temperature of the bed approaches the temp tolerance, it loses its strength. 2. Polyurea keeps moisture out of the solution thus making a more dense and solid liner. Less moisture also means better adhesion. 3. Polyurea also makes for a harder liner. The tear strength of LINE-X is 304 pounds per linear inch (pli). Rhino is 145 pli. 4. Polyurea sets up very fast, that's one reason why LINE-X goes on with heat and high pressure. LINE-X dries in about 4 seconds, so you get an even application throughout the bed. Rhino takes a minute or so to even gel, an hour or so to dry. Before it gels, gravity can pull the liner from the top ridges in to the low valleys. Rhino’s Tuff Stuff goes on cold/low pressure and thus has that “cottage cheese” or “rain on the windshield” look. LINE-X’s high heat/high pressure system gives it a very nice finished and more consistently applied texture, it’s sort of like an orange peel. The dealer can vary the texture from smooth to very rough. 5. Polyurea makes the liner more chemical resistant, especially to organic oils and solvents.

LINE-X offers a written NATIONWIDE lifetime warranty. Rhino's warranty is only with the dealer that sprayed it.

Old 03-12-2005, 11:56 AM
joebronco94
Senior User
dont really make that much of a diff. if the truck isnt preped right it will not stick.

Old 03-14-2005, 07:00 AM
grease monkey
Elder User
I looked at both brands and if I could afford to have it done I would go for the lineX. Since I cant afford a spay on liner ive been thinking about taking advantage of the sale at the hardware store for 2 gallons of Herculiner.

Old 03-14-2005, 08:37 AM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
2 gallons of Herculiner = $180. LINE-X sprays about 4.5 gallons in a short bed. 4.5 gallons of Herculiner = $405 with no guarantee. Save up a little more and get a professional product with a lifetime warranty.

Old 03-15-2005, 12:30 AM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
we have a rhino on our truck and it has a few very small peels in it from sharp object and one thing another (this is an excavating truck with saws and stuff) and they said bring it in and we will redo it free. we haven't made it there yet but it was nice to know anyway. we also have a spot where we set a bobcat attachment and it didn't unhook with out a little down force be when it released it went all at once and left a small dent in the bed. no big deal and the rhino held on so i was impressed it didn't tear.

our rhino is thin. we got it for scratch and rust resistance not so much for protection. that is what plastic liners do best with a rubber mat in them. go with whoever you want. i would say the nation wide warranty would be nice for the next person that buy the truck after you. will you get better resale with a line X over a rhino.... truth be told prolly not. whatever it isn't my truck but i would look at both strongly but price within +- 50 dollars i would prolly give it to lineX, over 50 more for lineX prolly not.

just my .02

Last edited by duramaximizer; 03-15-2005 at 12:32 AM.