2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got the latest recall repaired

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 09:15 PM
cbsaf
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is no need to remove the tail light. It is on the inside of the actual bedside. It is bonded to the inside of the large flat area that is right in front of the tail light. The same metal that has the exterior paint has the pad on the inside. The pad blocks no drain holes in the tail light assembly but traps moisture as it peels away from the unpainted metal underneath. The pad is fairly large as it is 1' X 1.5'. There are four flat spots on the side of the bed. One is in front of each wheel and one behind each wheel. The drivers side front has the gas filler mounted in it and this pad is on the inside of the passenger rear one. I hope this makes it clear.

Old 03-14-2005, 09:26 AM
Dazz
Senior User
cbsaf
Yours is the clearest description of the butyl pad I have read. I had been looking for something approx 2"X3". I will look again. I will respond after I have completed some tasks I have with a building contractor on my house. Thanks for following up.

Old 03-15-2005, 12:10 PM
Dazz
Senior User
Butyl

cbsaf
Bingo. I was under my truck only 2 seconds when I spotted the butyl pads, 3 of them. What had blinded me before was the expectation of seeing something small in size. Once I knew I was after something large I went right to it. I am on my way to my Ford dealer to make an appt. with my Recall Letter. Many thanks.

Old 03-15-2005, 02:48 PM
PC Poppy
Junior User
Any Canadians get the recall letter from Ford yet? I have the butyl pads but no letter and no recall listed for my vin # yet.

Old 03-15-2005, 05:43 PM
Droog
Junior User
No, I'm Canadian, and no letter yet.

Old 03-24-2005, 06:00 PM
Dazz
Senior User
I had my Butyl Pad Recall letter for approx 10 days before I asked for an appt with the local Ford Agency. They gave me an appt a week in advance. I took it in and in 7 hours they phoned and said they did not have the parts to fix it, and that I would have to rescheduled a future appt. Parts????

When I picked my '04 Syleside up I courteously leaned hard on the Senior Service Manager and Asst Svc Mgr. They told me the Recall was so new they could not get the parts. Also told me they had to sub the work out to a Body Shop as they had to remove the bed and do some welding. Welding?????

I just got through doing the Buty Pad removal, preping, and paint priming myself. It was no easy task. But had I had the hoist and tooling the Ford Agency has I could have done it in half the time.

The pads are actually thin sheets of aluminum sandwiched between two layers of vinyl material. The pads are adhered to the inner side of the exterior fender sheeting by a black adhesive that was just brushed on. This brushing left holidays in the adhesive and would cause moisture to accumalate and be trapped, especially in the cold nights/warm days.

I had to make a scrapping bar approx 24" long to pry the upper of the 3 pads away from the fender. I also used this same bar with a grinder sharpened end to scrape the excess black adhesive away. Then I placed a rag on the bar and wiped the final adhesive residue away with gasoline. Cleaned with water, then shot two coats of Primer. Time: 5 hours......Sounds like a long time, but I could not risk some shady tree Body Shop removing my bed and doing some dippy welding just to pad their billing. End result: Nice clean job.

Old 03-24-2005, 06:53 PM
mkoser
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the recall fixed today. I only had one pad on the inner fender according to the dealer. I looked for myself, and could not see any others anywhere. It took my dealer about 2 hours. They didn't remove the bed, or weld anything..... They just pulled it off, cleaned it up, and sprayed it with the same material that was originally used...

MK

Old 03-24-2005, 10:13 PM
04ASGreen
Junior User
I had the pad removed and got my first oil change, on Monday. I got the letter 3 or 4 weeks ago and just put it off. The dealer called me Friday and said "hey buddy just bring that truck in and let's get it done". My wife took it in, and she only had to wait 1 1/2 hours for the pad removal and the oil change. I guess 7:30 on Monday was a good time to take it.

Old 03-30-2005, 10:00 PM
FordTruckGuySTX
Senior User
out of curiosity how many ppl are being put on hold due to a lack of recall kits from parts department? i've been swamped at the collision center at the ford dealership with the recalls and we are out of kits and dont even know how long till we get some more shipped to us. if anyone has any other questions about the recall i might can assist though it seems everyone has a general concept. i still though haven't figured out the official 'purpose' of the dang things. on the bright side i can get a truck done in about an hour and a half now. just quick pad removal, clean up adhesive material, scotch bright, coat of rust converter, two coats of rustproof coating, dry, done. there's been only maybe two trucks that started to have some corrosion but i do strongly urge it to be done asap for the benefit of your truck. i've been told all 2004s apply and some early production 2005s. and just a friendly reminder...if going in for a recall...washing the inside of your bed will be a welcome thing, heh

Old 03-30-2005, 11:52 PM
Dazz
Senior User
Originally Posted by FordTruckGuySTX
out of curiosity how many ppl are being put on hold due to a lack of recall kits from parts department? i've been swamped at the collision center at the ford dealership with the recalls and we are out of kits and dont even know how long till we get some more shipped to us. if anyone has any other questions about the recall i might can assist though it seems everyone has a general concept.
I cannot quite grasp what you mean by "recall kits". I took 3 Butyl pads off myself, cleaned the residue black adhesive, cleansed the area, then with proper drying I shot 3 coats of metal primer to match the color of the inner fender. If I, as a non-mechanic, with make shift tools (just for this purpose, otherwise I do have a nice array of tools) can do an attractive job why cannot a Professional Agency (like a Ford Body Shop) do the Butyl Pads removal without the BS of needed parts, kits, bed removal, and welding. Someone is humping someone and padding the bill for Ford Motor Co., while the Service Managers con their customers away.

Old 03-31-2005, 06:22 AM
rang4wd
Junior User
I just had my recall done. Dropped truck off at 8:00 am, picked up my loaner car and was on my way. The dealer's body shop called at 1:00 and told me it was finished. The service rep told me it would take all day and that I could pick it up the following day. That's how I got the free rental car. So I wasn't without my truck for very long.

Old 03-31-2005, 01:43 PM
cbsaf
Senior User
Originally Posted by Dazz
I cannot quite grasp what you mean by "recall kits". I took 3 Butyl pads off myself, cleaned the residue black adhesive, cleansed the area, then with proper drying I shot 3 coats of metal primer to match the color of the inner fender. If I, as a non-mechanic, with make shift tools (just for this purpose, otherwise I do have a nice array of tools) can do an attractive job why cannot a Professional Agency (like a Ford Body Shop) do the Butyl Pads removal without the BS of needed parts, kits, bed removal, and welding. Someone is humping someone and padding the bill for Ford Motor Co., while the Service Managers con their customers away.
Really man. I dropped mine off and all they did was remove the pad and roll a coating on the inside of the fender. Anything that is used as a primer or bedliner will work. Nothing was disassembled or welded.

Old 03-31-2005, 03:40 PM
Ulf
Junior User
I just had my truck done last week it took them a little less than one hour, I waited while they did the job in the collision shop. They used some black two part paint to cover the area and it was applied with a roller...

Last edited by Ulf; 03-31-2005 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:59 PM
sandrat
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Dazz
The parts we have to order is a kit which consists of a bottle of acid, a bottle of anti-corrosion coating, and a little paint pan and roller. The pan and roller aren't a huge deal, but the acid and coating are required to do the job (in a dealership at least.) As far as welding, if there are any signs of serious rust, than Ford just replaces the box side, rather than deal with it rusting out.

Old 03-31-2005, 04:15 PM
digger52
Junior User
I haven't had time in the last few days to check out FTE , I to am one without a recall letter , is it just for 04 stylesides , or maybe it just hasn't gotten hear yet . This site definetly keeps me more upto date than my local Ford dealer.

Quick Reply: Just got the latest recall repaired