Virginia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Meetings, meetings, meetings. . .

Old 03-23-2005, 07:28 PM
Kista20
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats funny how yall had mentioned green meadows and loft mountain... thats in Elkton where I live. It's some pretty country up on the parkway.

Old 03-24-2005, 05:14 AM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

The wife and I ate at one of those restaurantsthe first time thru the park. The service was great, the food was terrific, and the cost wasn't that bad. I remember that the view from our table was quite lovely. Anyway, the last time I went up there, it cost $10 (I think) to drive Skyline Drive, but you could use the ticket for the entire month.

Oh, BTW, I finally got an email from the park service. They told me that all their picnic areas were 'first come-first served' so if we decide this is the way we want to go, someone will have to be there very early to stake our claim...

Last edited by stu37d; 03-24-2005 at 05:17 AM.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:59 AM
TurboMonkey
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll offer to get up there early to take a spot if we decide to do skyline... but someone promise to do a cruise after with me so I don't miss all the fun!?

I think Skyline is still my first vote... it's fantastic and fun and an easy spot for everyone to find... I'll keep my eye on the boards...

(oh yeah, and since I have a grill master in the house, I'll offer up his grilling expertise, we could deff. help man the meats... but we'll have to rely on others for grills, since we use a tiny gas one most of the time and somehow I doubt that will provide enough sustinance for all you guys )

Old 03-24-2005, 12:39 PM
afinepoint
Laughing Gas
First we need to find out how many will commit to going and then pick a date when the weather warms and stabilizes. I can offer a grill as well. It is portable.

Also the size of the picnic areas needs to be known.

I am heading up to the parkway this Spring anyway but it would be great to be able to put faces with some of the names here.

Reg

Old 03-24-2005, 01:48 PM
EMS Guru
New User
What about having something in Richmond?

Old 03-24-2005, 07:33 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
Its a long drive for me, but Shenandoah sounds, and looks like a great place to meet. This place might solve most of our hangups. Just need to figure out how much and if we can each chip in, or maybe FTE can help with the bill The Conference Hall looks really nice and accomodating. I sent off an inquiry questionaire, and will make some calls this weekend to the parks mentioned. Both areas look appealing. If push comes to shove, we could all meet at one end of the drive, and just cruise till we hit a spot You guys are doing a good job, keep it up! EMS Guru, we have a couple suggestions for areas around the middle of the state, if you have an idea please share with us! The majority seem to be drifting to "The Valley", but to be fair, there will probably end up being a vote at the end, so everyone can say they had a say.

For the time being, I think its safe to assume (I know, I know. . .) that those participating in this dicussion are willing to drive and meet. 11 people so far, even if we are over estimating a few, just means more food to go around A good point though, Afinepoint

Old 03-24-2005, 08:51 PM
Kista20
Elder User
We usually have a family reunion up on skyline drive. We would always goto this one picnic area but I don't know the name of it. There are many areas up there that we could use. I think meeting in one plpace and going from there is a good idea but there are different entrances to the park and it doesn't make sense for someone to drive out of their way to get on. I think there's at least 3 of them close to me, Elkton (thats where I live), Luray and Waynesboro. Maybe members from each area could meet together and use the appropriate entrance. Sounds like most of you are from the hampton roads area, it would be quicker to take 64 and get off at the zion crossroads exit, take 15 to 33 then your looking at 30 min drive from the interstate to the park entrance, around a 3 hr drive total. Thats still a lot quicker than taking 64 to waynesboro which is a lot farther, then getting on the parkway and driving a 30 mph speed limit unless what we want is on that end of the park. Right now I'd say lets decide where we want it and then when, theres so many places to choose from.

Old 03-28-2005, 09:39 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
Ok, I wasn't able to get anything but a recording. There also sending me info via mail for the confrence hall (price dependent). But here are the PICNIC AREAS There are 7 of them, strewn about the drive. First come, first servered areas, so if someone can't get there early and "hold" one for us I suggest we shoot for a particular one at a particular time(Loft Mt. @noon, for ex.) and hope for the best. If its full, theres 6 more to try. If that doesn't work, well, we can just grill out on the side of the road till we get run out

If you have anymore suggestions, lets hear them. Though the we seem to be drifting towards Skyline, I'll be posting a vote sometime Thursday or Friday for about a week so everyone has a chance to get there say in so they can say they had a say (say that 5 times fast. . .). Looks like I'm starting to repeat myself, see my last post

Once we get the vote going, we can start discussing when, who's definately coming, what to bring, etc., in this thread or start a new one.

Also keep an eye out for the Chapter Logo vote thread

Old 04-01-2005, 07:17 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
I guess discussion is winding down Lets get the place nailed down, and move onto the good stuff

Got a new thread going, to keep down the clutter.

Click here