Sponsored by:

wipers

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 04:47 PM
BOJOFASO
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wipers

hey all broncs windshield wipers got frozen in the half way of the cycle and i didnt realize it, now they dont go intermintent and they do not park when i turn them off. they do work hy and low speed and when you turn them to intermitent they go on steady at low speed.
does anyone know if and where the device is that controls this.

Old 03-03-2005, 06:38 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The failure is most likely the "park" contacts in the motor itself. Unfortunately, there is no provision for replacing this part of the wiper motor. You end up having to replace the whole motor. The intermittant control is just a time delay relay that triggers the motor to run. This is why they will run slowly on the intermittant setting but with the "park" contacts shot, they will not stop when they reach their "parked" location.

Old 03-03-2005, 08:02 PM
JBronco
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had luck by taking the module apart and cleaning and readjusting the contacts for the intermittent delay. I am not sure if the Broncos windshield delay works the same, but many vehicle's delay wiper motors have contact points in them for the delay, and they are opened and closed by a cam that they ride on. They look like the points from an old-style ignition. As you change the delay timing, the points move in relation to where they rest on the cam. You can clean them up and bend them back into position and buy a couple of extra years out of the motor.

Old 06-17-2005, 10:37 PM
jem270
Senior User
My wipers have been working intermittantly for the last few months. I am going to take the motor off tomorrow and inspect it. Any advice for taking it off?

1988 EB Bronco - 302 - AOD - 3.55 Limited Slip - Manual Hubs and Transfer Case- BFG 32/11.5 AT - 208,000 miles

Old 06-18-2005, 10:49 AM
bertha66
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had the same problem with my 80 Bronco, I replaced the motor and that fixed the "park" problem, but the intermittant still does not work. Next thing is to put in a new switch and see what happens.

Old 06-18-2005, 01:09 PM
masseysbronco
Posting Guru
I'm about to have to do the same for mine, the motor makes alot of noise while the wipers are going and the wiper delay is tempramental at times.

Old 06-18-2005, 07:48 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Check the ground on the Intermittent wiper control module. If the ground is weak or bad, it can cause some of these problems.

Old 06-18-2005, 09:23 PM
b4hntn
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by 81-F-150-Explorer
Check the ground on the Intermittent wiper control module. If the ground is weak or bad, it can cause some of these problems.
Me too on '94 Bronco. My intermittent goes to nothing intermittently. The wipers on intermittent sometimes just quit.

Where is the ground please.

Old 06-18-2005, 10:59 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by b4hntn
Me too on '94 Bronco. My intermittent goes to nothing intermittently. The wipers on intermittent sometimes just quit.

Where is the ground please.

It is year specific. but you should be able to find the ground wire coming off of the intermittent module, that is leading to a grounding point with eyelet to either the dash supports or the steering column support brackets. They get corroded or loose and need to be cleaned.

All 1980 to 1986 and some later with the wiper control switch in the dash, the module is located near and under the wiper control switch. You may need to remove the instrument cluster to get to the grounding wire and screw on the steering column support. Others may be grounded to the bottom of the dash support next to the instrument cluster courtesy lights if so equipt. It depended on the guy installing them and his mood, I assume...

the ones with the wiper switch in the column, I'm not entirely sure where the module is located, (perhaps somone else that knows will speak up ) but it sounds like the ground wire is your problem.

Good luck.

Old 06-19-2005, 08:15 PM
jem270
Senior User
My wipers were stopping occasionally. I assumed it was the wiper motor since it is origional. After much effort replacing the motor, it still did the same thing. I took the dash panel off behind the wiper **** and found the switch assembly was loose. There was a nut holding the front of the switch to the dash assembly and that nut was loose causing the switch to rotate slightly when you turned the dash ****. I tightened the nut and the wipers seem to be fixed.

1988 EB Bronco - 302 - AOD - 3.55 Limited Slip - Manual Hubs and Transfer Case - BFG 32/11.5 AT - 208,000 miles

Old 07-16-2005, 02:08 PM
provobis
New User
My 95 bronco wipers (and washers) stopped working overnight. Nothing stressfull happened to vehicle except maybe parked in hot sun. Fuse checks OK. Harness contacts where it plugs into assy on firewall cleaned, still nothing. Suspect common electrical connection (not fuse) since both wipers and washers do not work, unless washers don't work if motor goes bad. Bad motor? Any thoughts anyone?

Old 07-17-2005, 05:29 PM
gov2mod
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It's the motor. When I got my 93 Bronco the nitwits that had it before had put in a toggle switch to operate the wipers. It only one speed and was either on or off. I started searching the problem. I eliminated the toggle switch and reverted back to the original switch. I found the controler (someone had taken it apart) under the glove box and replaced it with one from a salvage yard. The wipers still only had low and high and didn't park themselves. I replaced the wiper switch on the turn signal lever and it's still the same. So, the motor is the only thing left. I still haven't changed it and even the old lady got used to shutting it off at the right time so they stop in the parked position. The only downside is it doesn't have the intermittent settings and if you use the washer feature you have to turn the key off to stop the wipers. With five F bodies and a slew of other car, truck, Harley etc projects it's on my list of 1001 things to do.