1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Y block to fmx auto transmission

Old 03-03-2005, 09:47 AM
Joe mollnow
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Y block to fmx auto transmission

Hi everyone, I have a 53 ford pickup with a 292 y block and a 2 speed fordomatic auto transmission .I would like too swap it out with a fmx out of a ford galaxie with a 390 motor set up with the fmx transmission Iwant the y block with a three fmx. The fordomatic is a one peace unit ,my motor mounts are on the block not on the transmission bell housing .The fmx is all rebuilt and is mine for the taking .
.Will this bolt to the y block ?Do I need a y block belhousing to bolt the fmx to.The flex plate on my y block ok? (WILLTHIS WORK) Thanks Joe

Old 03-03-2005, 10:06 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Joe, I don't know if this is an easy changeout or not. But, I want to clarify, the FMX is a 3 speed and the fordomatic is also a 3 speed. The difference is that the Fordomatic starts off in 2nd unless you punch the throttle or start with the gear shift in low. So I guess the question is: How much money and effort are you willing to invest to change out one 3 speed for another? Jag

Old 03-03-2005, 10:54 AM
Joe mollnow
New User
Jag, the fordomatic in my 53. I've tired starting out in both low and drive: low goes from 0-25mph whines then thats it, then if I Shift it up into drive, it will move along but then it never seems to shift again, overdrive, coming to a hill or whatever. Maybe somethings is up with my tranny? When I start off in drive, its sluggish but moves alright, loss of power though, like im missing an speed. This make sense? Thanks For The Help, any other greatly appreciated - Joe

Old 03-03-2005, 01:02 PM
barry
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
THey list the FX, MX which are variants of the FMX transmission fitting in a 60-64 Ford car, no mention of any specific engine other than a 430. It should fit the Y block as they used a Y block in the 60-64 cars. You'll need a different flywheel, out of a 58 or later car with a Y block
As for your Ford o matic, it will alway start in 2nd, regardless of dropping it into low manually. The best test is to start out and let it go thru it's shifting, and when it's done, stomp on the gas pedal and see what it does. It should drop down into low and go thru the gears. My 57 Ford had a Ford o matic and it would shift like you say and if I stomped on it, it would drop right into low and then go like a Bat out of H**L. It's a wierd tranny, not like a C4 or Cruisomatic. The low seemed like someone grabbed the back of my car and let go! Like a slingshot.

Barry

Old 03-03-2005, 02:52 PM
Laughing Gas
the fmx was built from 67 till around 80.never saw one in a 390.they will bolt on to the old fordomatic bell.you just had to drill the top two bolt holes.you need the new type flywheel with ring gear built on.they came out with this flywheel around 59 with 3 speeds.they covered this swap in detale in the sept,99 issue of street rodder.

Old 03-03-2005, 03:38 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Yea Joe, it sounds like you have a sick Fordomatic. I have a fresh one in my 55 Fairlane. When I place the shift indicator in Drive, the tranny starts off in 2nd and at about 25 shifts into third. Low is equivilent to a granny and when activated by flooring the gas pedal, it shifts into 2nd at about 18-20 mph. So, comparing a rebuild to the minor changes that have been outlined above, maybe a changeover is the best way to go. Jag

Old 03-03-2005, 04:39 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you are going to spend the bucks, why not go for an AOD and get the o/d too?

Old 03-03-2005, 06:00 PM
286merc
Posting Guru
Its NOT a one day conversion and you need a Y Block CruiseoMatic as the donor. Summit Racing has shift kits for the FMX also.

http://www.y-blocksforever.com/html/fmxupgrade.html

Some comments about errors in the SRM article are covered also

Old 03-04-2005, 08:19 AM
brewster1
Mountain Pass
You'll likely need the fmx torque converter as they changed the splines somewhere along the way. I had a 56 Ford Vic. with Fm and you could take off in low, shift to drive and then pull the shift lever back to low and the transmission would be in second and then you could shift back to drive whenever you outran the Chevy behind you.
jt

Old 03-05-2005, 11:58 PM
pcmenten
Posting Guru
FMX transmissions can be purchased cheap. They're pretty strong transmissions, but they have an iron case, so hot-rodders don't use them.

To swap an FMX, you'll need; a bellhousing for a Ford-O, a Y-block cruisomatic flex plate (59-62?), the FMX torque converter, and a sleve to fit the hub of the torque converter to the Y-block crankshaft. You'll have to drill two holes in the FMX mounting flange, but with all these other parts, it should fit fine. Use the shift linkage clamp thingie from the Ford-O trans on the FMX.

Old 03-06-2005, 08:19 AM
topdeadcenter
Senior User
Dude! Spend a little money and go C4. You can get the conversion kit from Flat-O products to bolt right on to your y-block. You will be happier with the C4. The FMX and all its family are boat anchor material! I have one in my 67 Galaxie and I am just waiting for the day that it goes up in smoke so I can exchange for a C6...

Trust me you are going to spend mucho time and money to get this "free" transmission to work only to be disappointed with the results. C4s are abbundant in 60's and 70's midsize cars, and can be had for pretty cheap.

Mike

Old 03-06-2005, 08:35 AM
Laughing Gas
the c4 is a light duty trans that wouldnt stand abuse.they can be made to but by the time you do that and pay 500.for the kit your into a lot of money.if you have lots no problem.

Old 03-06-2005, 08:42 AM
topdeadcenter
Senior User
Originally Posted by 312
the c4 is a light duty trans that wouldnt stand abuse.

HAHAHAHAHA

yeah those FACTORY installed ones behind Hi-Po 289's and 351W in the 60's stangs sure didn't stand the abuse Whatever! Let see, they became the drag racers choice of transmissions because they were so WEAK???? Doubtful....

an FMX will explode far sooner than a C4...oh and by the way, a Y-block, even super rodded one, will hardly put out enough power to hurt either of them...

Mike

Old 03-06-2005, 08:53 AM
darkman
Posting Guru
Yeah it is a real boat anchor. That is why John Feistritzer’s car the Hoosier Hurricane, which is a VR57 supercharged 1957 Fairlane 2 Dr. Sedan that weighs 3700 lb (including driver) car has run 11.83 @ 113.5 mph (7.50 @ 91 mph 1/8 mile time) uses a FMX. He needs it to stop the car after a run. Oh and he has enough money to use a C4 if he wanted too. He won the Y-Nationals a year or so back. This car is strictly a race car and it is good enough for him. Go Figure It!

Old 03-06-2005, 09:04 AM
topdeadcenter
Senior User
I am not saying that it couldn't be used, only that the time and money into making the FMX work would be equal or more than the amount to put a C4 behind it.

"Oh and he has enough money to use a C4 if he wanted too."

That is my point, he must have a lot of money to be using and upgrading an FMX to handle that kind of power. If you want to dump money into a trans to make a drag car, the money is better spent on somthing that has an aftermarket following. The C4 is the Stang crowds choice for a reason. They can be built to withstand anything...even 8 second quarter mile times, behind VERY potent SBFs and BBFs.

But this like anything is opinion, Ford v Chev, Pepsi v Coke, etc, etc,....

Mike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Y block to fmx auto transmission