1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 06:18 AM
mjs
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange vibration

I have an 03 F350 CC 4x4. I have been fighting an annoying vibration since I got this truck two years ago. The vibration starts around 45mph, seems to peak around 59mph, then drops off around 63 mph. I feel the vibration in the floor and seat, not the steering wheel. The vibration seemed to come and go intermittantly, and I could not figure out why until lately. Seems that when I have a full tank of fuel, the vibration is noticeable less. When I get down below 1/4 tank, the vibration is much more substantial. I know that seems odd, but I can now reproduce it fairly easily. Also the vibration is present when I an holding at a steady speed. If I accelerate slightly, the vibration goes away. It is also as much of an audible vibration as a mechanical one. It really has that rumble sound/feel, like when a U joint is out of whack.

For a little background on what the dealer did last year. They acknowledged the vibration and 1st said it was the tires. They put on 4 new tires (BFG rugged trails). Did not solve it. Then they said that the wheels ( steel ones) were not true, so they put 4 new wheels on it. They said it helped, but it did not change a thing. In the summer, I run a set of BFG mud terrains, so with the inherent vibration in a mud terrain, I did not really notice it. Once again, when I put the stock tires and wheels on, the vibration is back. Dealer said the driveshaft, etc were all fine.

Any ideas or suggestions? I'm taking it back in this week. Almost forgot, the truck is bone stock right now.

MJS

Old 03-01-2005, 09:08 AM
jtmerritt
Tuned
I would find me a good suspension and/or frame shop that can get the truck up on a lift and actually run the drivetrain to find the problem. I know running the drivetrain without resistance isn't good but it would seem there should be a way to make it work.

John

Old 03-01-2005, 10:15 AM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like a ujoint to me.

If you've determined that's not the culprit, get them to balance the driveshaft.

Old 03-01-2005, 03:50 PM
high ho silver
Posting Guru
I see you have a gasser. Can you tell if it is changing with engine rpm. Mine has a noticable exhaust vibration from resonance that gives the same feeling you mentioned.

Old 03-01-2005, 04:15 PM
slc10844
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe this will help?

TSB 04-22-7

FORD: 1999-2005 F-Super Duty

ISSUE:
Some 1999-2005 Super Duty F-Series may exhibit excessive drive-away shudder or vibration, under moderate to heavy acceleration from a stop. This may be due to driveline angle.

ACTION:
Shim the center carrier bracket downward to correct the condition. Refer to the following Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

When shimming the center carrier bracket, a maximum of three (3) 1/4 inch shims may be used (EOTZ-4A209-A). When refastening the carrier bracket use1. bolt (56564-S2). A 7/16 x 14 grade 5 bolt may be substituted providing that it extends at least 3 threads past the nut. Use Motorcraft Threadlock 262 (TA-26), and torque bolts to 46 lb-ft (62 N-m).

NOTE: IF THE VEHICLE IS NORMALLY LOADED, ROAD TESTS WILL NEED TO BE PERFORMED WITH THE VEHICLE LOADED.

Before beginning the repair, road test the vehicle to gain a feel for the harshness of the shudder/vibration.
Install one (1) shim, (DO NOT use Threadlock on the bolts at this point), re-road test vehicle.
If condition is corrected, apply Threadlock and torque bolts as directed above. Return the vehicle to the customer.
If condition is not corrected, re-perform Step 2 (to a maximum of three (3) shims) and reevaluate vehicle.
NOTE: IF THE CONDITION IS STILL NOT CORRECTED AFTER INSTALLING A MAXIMUM OF THREE (3) SHIMS, REFER TO WORKSHOP MANUAL SECTION 205-00 FOR FURTHER DIAGNOSTICS.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
EOTZ-4A209-A Shim
56564-S2 Bolt
TA-26 Motorcraft Threadlock 262

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
042207A Road Test To Verify Concern, Install One Shim, And Road Test To Verify Repair (Includes Time To Raise Vehicle And Install Threadlock) 1.2 Hrs.
042207B Road Test To Verify Concern, Install One Shim, And Road Test To Verify Repair Condition Still Exists, Install A Second Shim And Road Test (Includes Time To Raise Vehicle And Install Threadlock) 1.7 Hrs.
042207C Road Test To Verify Concern, Install One Shim, And Road Test To Verify Repair, Install A Second Shim And Road Test Condition Still Exists, Install A Third Shim And Road Test (Includes Time To Raise Vehicle And Install Threadlock) 2.2 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
4A209 42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2004 Ford Motor Company

Old 03-02-2005, 06:14 AM
mjs
Junior User
Exhaust resonance - You are not talking about the 2000 rpm flutter issue are you? Mine is not engine RPM dependent, but rather speed dependent. Already been through the flutter issue and fixed that.

Old 03-02-2005, 08:34 AM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is yours a SB , my CC LB is smooth as silk. This problem seems more common in SB and that would indicate the drive shaft angle. Wrench.

Old 03-02-2005, 09:35 AM
mjs
Junior User
Yup, it is a shortbox

Old 03-02-2005, 10:42 AM
jtmerritt
Tuned
Maybe its a problem of the driveshaft slip yoke needing to be taken apart and greased. I know I did have to pull the slip yoke apart on mine at about 55K because it was sticking and causing a noticeable thump on acceleration and deceleration. I did notice at the time that it did cause a little vibration that went away after I greased it. Also, the grease called for is a blue teflon available from FMC but others have used other greases that work OK.

John

Old 03-02-2005, 11:28 AM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by mjs
The vibration starts around 45mph, seems to peak around 59mph, then drops off around 63 mph. I feel the vibration in the floor and seat, not the steering wheel. The vibration seemed to come and go intermittantly...
The above would suggest that it's not the "Super Duty Clunk"...at least as the lone culprit.

Old 03-02-2005, 04:15 PM
high ho silver
Posting Guru
Question

Originally Posted by mjs
Exhaust resonance - You are not talking about the 2000 rpm flutter issue are you? Mine is not engine RPM dependent, but rather speed dependent. Already been through the flutter issue and fixed that.
No not the flutter issue just the same vibration you talked about. Would like to know what you did to fix the flutter though.

Old 03-03-2005, 06:31 AM
mjs
Junior User
Well, I picked up the truck from the dealer last night. They called me yesterday and told me that they removed the rear driveshaft and the truck runs smooth as silk. They said they were going to do the TSB for the shudder on take off ( listed above). Late in the day, they told me that they thought it was fixed. Picked it up late last night and guess what? NOT FIXED AGAIN! Not sure what the heck they actually did, but there were no shims on the carrier bearing brackett. One thing I did notice last night though. There seems to be an excessive amount of play in that rubber carrier bearing bushing. I can move it up and down more than 1/2". Could that be problem? If they give me a loaner car, I'm going to drop it off again this morning.

As for the flutter fix. It is no question the metal dust cover on the back of engine ( torque convertor). I tried bending it out a little bit, but that did not help. So, I took it of and flipped it around backward and re-installed. It has been quiet for about 6 months now.

Old 03-03-2005, 09:06 AM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by mjs
They called me yesterday and told me that they removed the rear driveshaft and the truck runs smooth as silk.
How did they test this?

Also, did they check the ujoints and check the driveshaft's balance?

Old 03-03-2005, 10:40 AM
mjs
Junior User
They took the rear drive shaft off, put in 4x4 and drove. No vibration. Yes, they claim they checked the U joints and balanced the driveshaft.

Old 03-03-2005, 11:17 AM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by mjs
They took the rear drive shaft off, put in 4x4 and drove. No vibration. Yes, they claim they checked the U joints and balanced the driveshaft.
Then it makes you wonder if they're on crack...

Sorry, mjs, I can't tolerate ignorance.

What's their plan of attack now that they've discovered that it has something to do with the driveshaft and/or ujoints...?

Quick Reply: Strange vibration