Biodiesel in newer PSDs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 05:19 AM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
I have used B20 until I got my 04 truck then went down to B2 because of the warranty issue.

Old 04-22-2005, 10:21 AM
BaldGuy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you guys should all check out this article that showed up on msn.com this morning:

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/...ar/P115218.asp

BD might finally be getting the attention it deserves.

Old 04-22-2005, 11:03 AM
MRKnight
Elder User
DogDude - Cool is within 10 miles or so of Grass Valley, on the other side of 49.

Old 04-22-2005, 11:04 PM
fordDR
Senior User
these fuel systems are not designed to run on bio diesel and you WILL VOID YOU"RE WARRANTY if ford catches it in there also that is why the 5% rule Chrysler is the same way when i worked there

Old 04-23-2005, 10:06 AM
firesoutmatt
Posting Guru
biodiesel

I wish when people make comments like that they actually know what they are talking about. Ford won't void your warranty if you use biodiesel B2 or B5 and you can run highier but Ford has to prove that the Biodiesel caused the problem whatever it is.Which there hasn't been any proven damage by running B2 or B5.

When the diesel engine was invented it was designed to run on peanut oil. Diesel wanted an engine that the people that used it could grow their own fuel.It wasn't untill later that the fuel as we know of today was invented.The diesel engine can run on B100 or used cooking oil with no problems.

Old 04-23-2005, 10:43 AM
MRKnight
Elder User
Back to my previous comment - it's not the engines in these newer diesels that are shown to fail with high concentratins of BD, it's the injectors. If somebody came up with a good replacement injector for the newer PSD that didn't get gummed up with BD, that would solve the problem.

Old 04-23-2005, 11:24 AM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
hurrah for firesoutmatt and mrknight.... lets get it straight folks..

Old 04-23-2005, 08:16 PM
fordDR
Senior User
well if i was not the top ford mechanic in western canada then it would be fair to say i do not know what i am talking about but if u do not know me then dont judge me. I DO KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT and the engine is fine the G2 injector produced by siemens will not handle the diesel also the one in the old 7.3 will fail also a HUEI injector is not designed to work with this type of a product and i also have a heavy duty friend who works for CATERPILLAR and they have the same problems with injectors and bio diesel . SO BEFORE YOU JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER REMEBER YOU ARE JUST THE OPERATOR OF THE PRODUCT NOT THE ENGINEER AND FORD CAN AND WILL VOID WARRANTY IF BIO DIESEL IS PROVED TO BE CAUSE OF FAILURE .

Old 04-23-2005, 08:57 PM
firesoutmatt
Posting Guru
Wow hit a sore spot.The key word is PROVED .I think Canada has the same Biodiesel we get here and there hasn't been one PROVEN case of B2 or B5 injector problem.There has been problem with the injectors running B100.

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 2605818" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>fordDR</TD><TD class=alt2>these fuel systems are not designed to run on bio diesel and you WILL VOID YOU"RE WARRANTY if ford catches it in there also that is why the 5% rule Chrysler is the same way when i worked there</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Then answer this question Why does it say in my Ford owners manual that I can run up to B5 ? So they can void my warranty if I do ? So between your friend and you your telling me that a diesel engine isn't designed to run on Biodiesel if they have a Siemens or Huei injectors? I just want to make sure what I'm reading before I pass judgement.

Old 04-24-2005, 10:25 AM
fordDR
Senior User
5% rule is still ok because there is still enough regular fuel to lubricate the injectors adequately

Old 04-24-2005, 11:31 AM
dPrasse01
Senior User
the Bio is better at lubrication ... these high tech injectors are the problem ...
low sulphur diesel will not lubricate as well ...

Old 05-06-2005, 02:52 PM
Bio-Beetle
New User
We're running B100 in our new 2004 F-450 Flatbed. Only at about 2000 miles so far, and will update as we go along.

At 1200 miles the fuel lifter pump was replaced by the dealer under warranty, even though they knew I was running B100, and they told me not to use biodiesel anymore. I directly asked them if they were blaming biodiesel for the failed pump and they wouldn't go that far. They did give me the old pump so I could take it to a diesel mechanic so they could take it apart to see if they could find out why it failed. I will update on this as soon as I find out any more info.

The warranty voiding fear mongering espoused by some is very annoying to me. I have never had a warranty issue with any of our vehicles, even though I am very open about using B100. And we have 15 B100 vehicles, and are adding over 13,000 miles per month. With over 350,000 total miles to date.

Old 05-06-2005, 04:26 PM
MRKnight
Elder User
At least in my case the warranty voiding fear is espoused by the dealerships themselves. My personal concern for running B100 is my own understanding of the chemical makeup of BD as well as seeing how precise the injectors are. I am very confident that if I switched to B100 right now I would have no problems with the engine or fuel delivery system. I'm convinced I will have falied injectors down the road though. So I for one don't relish the thought of replacing 8 injectors out of pocket since I'm sure FoMoCo WILL use B100 as an excuse to not warrant this work. At which point my recourse might be to take it up with the B100 supplier themself. But if their gas meets all the regulations than they have nothing to worry about.

Now one thing I have considered is whether or not there is a diesel fuel system cleaner that is so strong that I could run it through the system every month or so to remove any of the injector buildup caused by B100. If that were the case I would happily start out on B20 and move to higher levels from there.

Old 05-08-2005, 03:02 AM
BaldGuy
New User
Originally Posted by MRKnight
Now one thing I have considered is whether or not there is a diesel fuel system cleaner that is so strong that I could run it through the system every month or so to remove any of the injector buildup caused by B100. If that were the case I would happily start out on B20 and move to higher levels from there.
Now we're getting somewhere! I had a similar theory: The state of AZ will grant me an "Alternative Fuel Vehicle" status if I run at least 70% BD. The AFV status is important because my anual registration would go from $700 to $30 and I get to drive in the car pool lane! What I've been thinking lately is that I could run 3 tanks of B100 and for every one tank of #2 - that gives me a 75% alternative fuel average to keep the state happy (not sure I'd tell them that's how i was doing it), AND maybe even keep me out of trouble with the injectors. I don't know of too many solvents that are as powerful and as universal as diesel #2. So what if every fourth tank I used the #2 (maybe even with additive) to clean out any build up from the last three tanks of B100???? Any thoughts?

Old 05-08-2005, 03:32 PM
Frobozz
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BaldGuy
I don't know of too many solvents that are as powerful and as universal as diesel #2.
Actually, straight biodiesel is a more powerful solvent! Often when first switching to biodiesel on an old truck, it will release sludge from the nooks and crannies of the fuel system and lead to early filter plugging, until it's all cleaned out.

The supposed problem with biodiesel and the 6.0L injectors is not that it fouls them, but that the conditions in the engine somehow polymerize something in the fuel and coat the injector tips with a plasticy goop. So running straight diesel isn't going to cure that. (I don't know of any 100% verifiable source for what, IF ANY, problems there really are with B100 in the 6.0L, that's just what I've heard. And it could have even been something wrong with one specific batch of biodiesel, not biodiesel in general...)

Duncan

Quick Reply: Biodiesel in newer PSDs?