Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Clutch, Transmission, Differential, Axle & Transfer Case
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Clutch, Transmission, Differential, Axle & Transfer Case SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-27-2005, 07:35 PM
Junior User
Garage is empty, add now

fishman002 is starting off with a positive reputation.
4R100 identification

I recently purchased a used 4R100 from a salvage yard that came out of a 99 "Ford Econo RV Cutaway S/Duty", (according to the VIN and carfax). I have a 2000 F-350 Crew Cab SD. When I recieved the transmission from the yard, I noticed that it had a torque converter with 4 studs and mine has 6 studs. Other than the torque converter difference is there any other differences in the performance of this transmission behind a 7.3 powerstroke?
Old 02-28-2005, 09:11 AM
Posting Guru
Garage is empty, add now

rclarke is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The 6 stud torque converter is for diesel only. If you check I think you will find that the transmission will not bolt to your diesel engine anyhow. Even if you could bolt the transmission up I would not use a gas transmission on a diesel.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:11 PM
Junior User
Garage is empty, add now

Not true. The VIN (1FDWE30F4XHCxxxxx) on this transmission has an F in the 8th position indicating it came from a 7.3 PSD vehicle. 1FD (Ford Motor Company incomplete vehicle), W (10,001-14,000 GVRW with driver and front passenger air bags), E30 (Econoline 350 DRW), F ( 7.3L OHV DI turbo V8 Powerstroke diesel). Apparently, Ford did put 4 stud torque converter transmissions behind PSD's. The bell housing bolt pattern matches the block exactly and the housing is identical to the 6 stud transmission that I removed from the truck. 4R100's were used behind PSD's, F-150 Lightnings, and F-250's with V-10's I believe. My quesion is still the same, is this transmission weaker internally to one with a torque converter with 6 studs?

Last edited by fishman002; 02-28-2005 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:00 PM
Junior User
Garage is empty, add now

RichS is starting off with a positive reputation.
I believe that vans use a detuned 7.3 so they won't put out the same torque as an SD 7.3 so that might be why it is that way. I think I read it here.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:03 PM
Junior User
Garage is empty, add now

You are correct. I checked the part number with a local Ford dealer today and that is what they told me.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:03 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Clutch, Transmission, Differential, Axle & Transfer Case

Tags
1999, 4r100, converter, diesel, differences, engines, ford, gas, identification, rv, search, stud, torque, transmission, v10