1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Truck bogging, crab problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2001, 02:03 PM
ecarter50
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 10-04-2001, 06:34 PM
canadianfordman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 84 F150 w/ a 351w and an edelbrock 600cfm 4bbl carb. and I am just wondering if the carb is making it bogg down. Once I flooded the engine and it wouldn't start for about 15 minutes. The engine only has 50,000km on it and it runs very soundly so I can't figure out what the problem is. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-04-2001, 06:45 PM
restorit
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd start by making sure the timing was set properly, and that the ignition was doing it's job. If you've got original parts, those that may be in need of checking would include the ignition coil, the ignition module, and the magnetic pickup coil inside the distributor. (Also check basic tune-up parts: plugs, wires, cap, and rotor) These can fail in ways that sometimes allow them to still function, but do so in ways that severely hamper performance (i.e. coil and ignition module). Just an initial thought..... after I'd been satisfied that this wasn't suspect, I'd look into the carb..... stuck float, bad accelerator pump, bad gaskets - rebuild necessary? Hope any of this may help....

Old 10-04-2001, 10:07 PM
canadianfordman
Posting Guru

Thanks, how do i check the timing? The wires and plugs are about a month old, MSD wires and Bosch plugs, so I would think they would be all right. Thanks for your input.

Old 10-04-2001, 11:28 PM
restorit
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not that bad. You'll need a timing light, which can be bought for $20 - $50 depending on the model. This will connect to your battery via two alligator clips, and it will have a third clamp that will clip over the #1 spark plug wire. You'll need to loosen the hold-down bolt for the distributor. Check your air cleaner or radiator support for a timing specification decal, which should give a number, such as 8 degrees BTDC (Before Top Dead Center). This is where your engine should be timed, or specifically, when the #1 cylinder should fire in relation to the piston in the bore. Look down at the harmonic balancer, and you'll see a scale with some small markings on it. Find the proper one to correspond to the BTDC number; they'll likely be marked 0-2-4-6-8 and so on. (O or TDC is Top Dead Center), and numbers to the right of this mark are values in degrees BTDC. Mark the proper one with a dab of white-out or equivalent. Connect the timing light. Disconnect the vacuum line from the distributor vacuum advance and plug it (the line). Start the engine and allow it to reach normal operating temperature. Then, being careful not to stick it into the fan, point the timing light at the harmonic balancer and pull the trigger (switch). The light will strobe with the firing of the #1 cylinder, and will illuminate your white mark against the pointer on the balancer. If your engine is timed correctly, this mark will line up perfectly with the pointer. If not, your engine is out of time. You will need to slowly and carefully rotate your distributor in one direction or another until the mark is lined up with the pointer. If possible, retighten the hold-down while you are observing the mark to be sure that your tightening the bolt is not changing the timing. Disconnect the light, shut down the engine, and reconnect the vacuum line to the advance. Bear in mind that you may now have to readjust your idle speed, as advancing the timing will cause your engine to idle faster, while retarding it will cause it to idle slower. This procedure can be found in just about any Chilton's or Haynes manual, incidently. Good Luck!

Old 10-05-2001, 01:28 PM
canadianfordman
Posting Guru

Thanks I will take a look in the haynes manual and see what I can do, I am not very mechanically inclined but my dad is so maybe he can help me out. Thanks again you lots of help.