1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Girly Powered Effies.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 10:47 AM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's always a quest to have the most horsepower, then there is overkill like Tim Allen's Hemi 56. (he'll never be able use all the HP). Superchargers are nice, nitrous injection, turbo chargers, etc. all work nicely and are impressive in increasing horsepower to the rear wheels. I think this post was pretty good because you really need to figure out what your ultimate goal is. If I have a "girly" 302, am I going to get that 600+ horsepower I'm looking for? or should I go with the big blocks and get the torque and horsepower I need. I think I'm in the same position as my friend Fatfenders where we both have a small block Ford. We'd like to keep the engine because it's practical, yet we want it to be capable of running like some of the 5.0 stangs running around town. I personally can't see having 600+ horsepower in my Effie (for one the frame and drivetrain wouldn't handle it). As long as my 289 runs great, sounds great and has that little kick in the rear when you stab the accelerator, I'm happy. In addition, money is a factor and to go fast it costs money. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have that 600 hp but is it practical for a street driven truck? My goal with the truck is to have it do like the car in the Flowmaster commercial on TV. Where the guy is running his hard through the gears, the guy sitting on his porch hears it coming and turns down the radio to hear the engine and exhaust roaring by. I'd also like to have a truck I could drive to the Supernationals (cross country) or car shows and know I'll be able to drive it home. It's a great post, and a tough decision to make. When it comes to engines and power I get excited and I guess its the competitive part of my personality. (my car/truck is faster than yours, it's the old street racer in me). If I made any statements in prior posts that were not appropriate or offended anyone (I know better), my intentions were not directed in that way and I apologize!

So, does anyone have a Supercharger for sale for a 289/302? LOL.....

Last edited by imlowr2; 03-01-2005 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:57 PM
wakywaco
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Imlower2, Man I havent taken any offense to anything youve posted. I agree that a lot of cars and trucks are overkill. My truck will likely be more show than go. I love racing at the tracks and I know that racing a brick down the 1/4 isnt the best idea either. Id like to have all the power on tap to be able to run 10s, but would settle fro low 12s. That would be an impressive truck to me. The motor Im building was originaly inteneded for my lil mustang coupe, but since its an all out race car anyways, I see no reason to put a streetable motor in it. Now before you guys think Im rich, lemme shed some light on myself. My 354 stroker i have now was givin to me for rebuilding from the ground up an 87 mustang coupe. I have taken this car 100% apart, painted underneath, inside everywhere etc the way a high dollar shop would do it. In all reality my wok only paid for the rotatind assembly, as I had the brand new stock 302 block already. The heads, cam intake etc were all stuff i paid for myself though. The parts Ive gooten for this build arent worth anywhere near ther amount of work Ive done for the guy. The twin turbo idea is just something Ive wanted to do for about 4 years now. Its costly yes, but seeing as I do my own work, fabrication etc, I can afford it over a period of time. the 545 stroker I have is for a 1969 428 cobra jet cougar eliminator Im restoring, and trust me, I screwed myself on this deal also. Im wanting to do the twin turbo, because Im tired of the nitrous scene, and would like to have an extra 150plus hp there at all times with just the twist of a ****. That 545 isnt streetable at all and should go into the stang. The truck is my new baby, I want creature comforts like A/C. power steering power disc brakes etc. 600 hp is actualy easy to achieve with my combo. And hell if I can do it, why not right. Id like to put in an AOD tranny for cruising and some lower gears out back to help accelerate the heavy truck. 600rwhp in this truck is probly equivilant to about 350hp in a stang, so its gonna take more to make up for it. Worst case scenerio, i just run the fuel injected 354 with nothing else and be happy with it. I love the pride you get when you drive down the local cruise strip knowing you created a beautiful vehicle like I plan on mine being. Its not gonna be a show truck, but Ill be prowd to call it mine.

Steve

Old 03-03-2005, 09:04 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
This has been a pretty active thread. Even forced 285merc to play his cammer 427 trump card to complete with the benchracing. As much as I hate to underachieve, I will be forced to join John (PJS55) and settle for only one gazillion HP and some torque at a useful RPM level. I'm so disappointed in myself.

I need a mark on the wall to shoot for. I think I'll set my goal as...

Build a smallblock that forces Purple55 to modify his fatblock, or be spanked by the "Precious" 302 from Iowa. You read it here first.

Old 03-03-2005, 09:32 PM
Purple55
Tuned
Received 58 Likes on 14 Posts
WAKE UP, DeWalt !!
You're dreaming again.

Old 03-03-2005, 10:00 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Purple55
WAKE UP, DeWalt !!
You're dreaming again.
Just tell me where the dragstrip is and get busy picking out your new camshaft. You know that stock Town Car engine ain't gonna gitter done.

Old 03-03-2005, 10:45 PM
Purple55
Tuned
Taint stock and this ole circleburner don't do no draggin.
Might I suggest Hawkeye Downs in Cedar Rapids or Myrtle Beach Speedway?

Old 03-04-2005, 08:27 AM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe you guys could settle this between heats at Knoxville, (thats the real one in Iowa) I would pay to see that and would be willing to offer some set up tips

Old 03-04-2005, 11:33 AM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
purple55, What mods is your big block sporting? or would that be giving away too much before the BIG race?

Old 03-04-2005, 12:44 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Purple55
Taint stock and this ole circleburner don't do no draggin.
Might I suggest Hawkeye Downs in Cedar Rapids or Myrtle Beach Speedway?
Ooh, that sounds dangerous. Think you could find somebody to drive my truck for me?

All seriousness, I have no intent to ever drive my truck that fast. I've seen a few drag Effies in action. Didn't look like a real good idea to me. I think a racing chassis would be in order.

Old 03-04-2005, 06:22 PM
55Bubba
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let's see...

4600 lb truck, no weight on rear, fat block or gir..er, manly 302 ,

Bout as fst as paint drying...right ?????

Bubber

Old 03-04-2005, 06:27 PM
Purple55
Tuned
Originally Posted by fatfenders56
Maybe you guys could settle this between heats at Knoxville, (thats the real one in Iowa) I would pay to see that and would be willing to offer some set up tips
Knoxville?
Dirt's for growin taters(or corn or whatever that stuff is thats growin up by DeWain's)

Old 03-04-2005, 07:09 PM
wakywaco
Junior User
Originally Posted by 55Bubba
Let's see...

4600 lb truck, no weight on rear, fat block or gir..er, manly 302 ,

Bout as fst as paint drying...right ?????

Bubber
Please tell me my 55 doesnt weigh 4600lbs!

Old 03-04-2005, 07:17 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Waky, it doesn't, it weight 4650 lbs. LOL...

Old 03-04-2005, 08:34 PM
huronfarmer
Senior User
hmmm...weight...thats what ive always wondered.....4650....i had a girlfriend like that once...heat in the winter and shade in the summer.....haha

just kidding, im starting to sound like Bubba

Old 03-04-2005, 08:37 PM
Purple55
Tuned
Originally Posted by B/B ford
purple55, What mods is your big block sporting? or would that be giving away too much before the BIG race?
Yup!
Can't tell you what's in it yet,but its got 3,287 hp. and 7,592 ft.lbs. of torque.Just had it dynoed.

Quick Reply: Girly Powered Effies.