2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sugestions on bedliners?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 01:35 AM
JoeKramer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sugestions on bedliners?

I'm looking for a bed liner for my 2005 F150 longbed. Any sugestions? I don't think I want to do a spray on. Dual Comp has 5 piece that seem really cheap and shipping is spose to be reall good. They say they that its water prof.

I just couldn't bring myself to pay $700 for a Ford one at the dealership.

Old 02-24-2005, 03:38 AM
hermit
Freshman User
When I purchased my FX4 in 2004 I wanted a bedliner; I wanted a spray on bedliner. Reason? I had the pop in type on another truck - you should see the truck bed after 6 years. I inquired at my Ford Dealer about the spray on and they wanted $750, so I opted to check out the local Line-X dealer and got it for $500. Btw, the Line-X guy was the guy that sprays for the Ford dealer I got my truck from. My advice would be to go the whatever spray on business you want and get a price quote.

Regards

Old 02-24-2005, 07:23 AM
rts9364
Senior User
Why not spray on?

Any way you look at it, a spray-on liner has benefits over the drop in liner...one of them is a lifetime warranty if you get one of the "big" brands (Line-X, etc.) I would recommend Line-X; IMO it is superior to the others. Just one person's opinion.

Old 02-24-2005, 07:32 AM
Ruckus
Posting Guru
I only paid $225 for my Ford bedliner and tailgate cover installed.Why are they trying to charge you so much?I think the most I have ever seen them advertised for is $295.Anyway,I kind of wish I would have went with spray on.Good Luck!

Old 02-24-2005, 08:12 AM
Sean Kennedy
Freshman User
I went with the Line X and really like it. I asked the dealer to have it done and they wanted to charge me 500 dollars. I called Line X directly and they said the price was 385. This was also the same place that does the spray in bed liner for the dealer. The Line X guy said that all the dealer does is call him up to come get the truck, he does the work and returns it. So if you want a bed liner, I would go right to the source and avoid the dealer. I really like the Line X. I have had a drop in bed liner before and the bed actually rusted underneath the bed liner. I would strongly recommend the Line X.

Old 02-24-2005, 08:17 AM
hermit
Freshman User
The reason spray on is so much more expensive is that it is virtually indestructable, lot's of prep work on the truck bed before it is sprayed, it's warranted for life, etc. It won't move around on your bed like a pop in does, scraping away paint, accumulating water that just sits there rusting away, no dirt and crude, etc., etc. Yep it costs twice as much as your pop-in, but the benefits out-weigh the cost. Personal choice I guess.

Old 02-24-2005, 08:50 AM
toypuller
Senior User
I have a spray in for the first time in my 05 F-250. I'll will never go back to a drop in.

When I have used the drop in on previous trucks I have always chased wind buffeting noises. I've sunk multiple sheet metal screws through them to keep them from shaking and vibrating. Every time I anchored it down in one spot another would shake. I would finally settle for "good enough"

In the summers (I've lived in both NC and Florida) the sun would cause them to rise up in the middle and wave on the tailgate.

The spray-in actually made the truck signifigantly quieter. I drove the truck for a couple of weeks before it was done and I was surprized how much of the normal squeaking and creaking was eliminated. Things no longer slide around like they did on the hard plastic drop in.

One last thing, just look at a spray-in and then look at a drop-in. The spray-in makes a truck look better. Even if you don't get one I think you'll agree with that. Someday you will sell that truck and the person looking at it will definately notice a spray-in.

A good quality drop-in will run $250-400 depending on where you get it. A good spray-in will run $350-600. If you have the truck for 5 years what differance is $200.00 up front going to be.

Old 02-24-2005, 09:48 AM
likalarry
Senior User
Originally Posted by JoeKramer
I'm looking for a bed liner for my 2005 F150 longbed. Any sugestions?
My '04 Scab has the dealer-installed "Ford" logo liner (dealer "threw it in" to get the sale. I'm sure I paid for it somewhere along the way ;-)). It fits perfectly, has no wind noises, does not pop upwards, includes a decent non-slip surface (on the bed part only, but not the tailgate section). I use the built-in moldings for a 2X6 divider. But the only real good reason to use a drop-in instead of a professional spray liner, IMO, is that a drop-in may make it easier for some future restoration Ford fanatic to return the truck to factory specs in the year 2030. Someone posted about problems with rust and wear under the liner. Thanks for the tip; I'll keep an eye on that.
Larry in SF, CA

Old 02-24-2005, 10:50 AM
Col. Gilliam
New User
Howdy,

This is my first truck with a spray in liner (Line-X) and after using it for the past five months, I wouldn't go back to bed mats or drop in liners.

Spray in liners are great!

I wished I would have used Line-X on my last truck.

Old 02-24-2005, 12:46 PM
JoeKramer
Senior User
I just have a recurring fear that I will have a big block V8 in the back and it will somehow fall over and both put a small dent in the bottom of the bed and a sharp metal edge will cut right through the spray on and paint reaching bare metal and start to rust. I would think that thick ABS plastic would resist that more.

I was looking at the 5-piece liner (can’t remember the name) that has a rubber floor. Would be good to keep something in place but then I wouldn’t be able to slid anything across it.

How well does spray on type liners hold up to scraping heavy sheets of wood across them?

Old 02-24-2005, 01:12 PM
umdstang
Senior User
Anyone with a spray in use a rubber bed mat over the spray in liner?? for extra protection.

Brian

Old 02-24-2005, 01:29 PM
DonsFx4
Elder User
Spary-ins give good if not great protection against scratches (pushing/pulling loads), but offer very little for impact (drop) protection.

I have Line-X, very satisfied, but when carrying something that may drop or dent the bed, I'll proctect it w/ a piece of plywood on that one-time need.

I won't go back to drop-ins after having experienced several years of one...scraped and rusted the bed and warped like a taco shell in the sun.

Old 02-24-2005, 01:46 PM
Jawbreaker
Junior User
My 2005 f-250 ( the one I rejected) had a X line by the dealer the day it came in 375.OO. Its twin due in next month will get the same. In Tampa, all companies and the dealer were within 50 dollars, including Rhino Liner. Your price seems very high for a 150

Old 02-24-2005, 03:42 PM
JoeKramer
Senior User
My buddy says I should have a spray on liner put on then put in a drop in ABS liner. After that I was thinking that I could then put a rubber mat down.

Thats 3X protection! LOL I guess I will go Line X or Rhino.

Old 02-24-2005, 04:02 PM
Adrnlrsh
Freshman User
I went the herculiner route....bought the kit for $65.00 and did it myself. I ended up spending about $85.00 total and 6 hours labor (prep work and installation) and it is great. I had a rhino liner in my last truck and this is very comparable if not better.