Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

2002 Sport Trac Rear Door's won't open

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 10:05 AM
loutterson
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2002 Sport Trac Rear Door's won't open

Both of my rear doors will not open from the inside of my sport trac. I have checked the child safety locks and they are not engaged. My daughter used to pull on the door handles before the doors were unlocked and I suspect that she broke something in the door by doing this. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? Both doors did not break at the same time, they broke about 6 months apart. Thanks

Old 02-24-2005, 08:45 PM
OverHeight
Tuned
Originally Posted by loutterson
Both of my rear doors will not open from the inside of my sport trac. I have checked the child safety locks and they are not engaged. My daughter used to pull on the door handles before the doors were unlocked and I suspect that she broke something in the door by doing this. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? Both doors did not break at the same time, they broke about 6 months apart. Thanks
Had the same problem on my wifes 02 sport trac, handles broke on the inside. Fixed under warranty!

Old 02-25-2005, 09:09 AM
loutterson
New User
Thanks for the reply, mine is not under warranty anymore. Shucks

Old 02-25-2005, 10:56 AM
loutterson
New User
Exclamation Rear Door Problem

Originally Posted by OverHeight
Had the same problem on my wifes 02 sport trac, handles broke on the inside. Fixed under warranty!
Hi overheight, I called my dealer and Ford Motor Co and was told by both that it wouldn't be covered since it was out of warranty and would not be covered under any kind of special adjustment program since I had not had my regular maintenance done at a Ford dealer. The only maintenance I've had to do so far are regular oil changes which I go to a quick lube place for. I looked on the NHTSA website and their is an identical complanint about the rear doors. I have since filed a complaint with the NHTSA. Would you also file a complaint with them? They said the more complaints re the same problem with the same vehicle, the more likely the manufacturer is to remedy the problem. The lady at NHTSA that I spoke to said even though yours was fixed under warranty that it would really help my case if you would call. Their number (National Highway Transportation SAfety Administration) is 888-327-4236 and it just takes a few minutes to register a complaint. Thanks in advance for you help, Lisa

Old 02-25-2005, 02:26 PM
OverHeight
Tuned
I would like to help, but I'm up here in Canada, so idon't think they will take a complaint from me.

Old 02-26-2005, 01:03 AM
OverHeight
Tuned
You can also try a web site called My Sport Track. Its dedicated to your truck

Old 02-27-2005, 10:16 AM
mason
Elder User
Gen 1 and 2 Explorers are notorious for the inside rear door handles breaking. Happens when someone tries to open the door when the door is locked. Doesn't happen in the front because the front doors unlock when the handle is pulled. If you have the same handles as the Explorers then the fix is pretty easy. Remove the interior door panels and replace the cheap plastic door handles. About $20 from the dealer or $12 or $13 on the Net.

Mason

Old 02-28-2005, 08:56 AM
loutterson
New User
OK, thanks...I'll try that

Old 12-03-2009, 05:29 AM
jbwilli
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EXPLORER INSIDE DOOR HANDLE REPLACE

YES, THE INSIDE DOOR HANDLES (ESPCIALLY THE REAR) BREAK EASILY WHEN THE CHILD LOCKS ARE LEFT ON AND SOMEONE TRIES TO OPEN THE DOOR FROM THE INSIDE. THE PLASTIC GEAR TOOTH INSIDE THE HANDEL BREAKS OFF. I HAVE CHANGED A TOTAL OF 3 ON MY 1997 EXPLORERS AND DID NOT HAVE TO REMOVE THE DOOR PANEL. POP OFF THE HANDLE TRIM WITH A SMALL FLAT BLADE SCREWDRIVER, REMOVE 2 BOLTS, TWIST ASSY AND DISENGAGE ROD, REMOVE HANDLE ASSY. INSTALL IS REVERSE OF REMOVAL. 5 MINUTE JOB TOPS!